Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    https://thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/sweden-decides-to-let-coronavirus-play-out-in-country-without-destroying-its-economy-or-future/

Now we have Sweden as our research control. Every study needs a control to yield more meaningful data.

10% of Swedes are obese. I think 35% of Americans are. I don't think it wise what they are doing, but they are a country that, as a whole, is much healthier than we in the US are.

A true research control would have to be similar in other ways to the experimental group. If the USA or some other country were to do that, the results won't necessarily be like Sweden's. It's just not that simple.

More to the point, the article doesn’t say that Swedes aren’t social distancing. It just says that they are doing it voluntarily, without having to be ordered to do so by the government.

I just read an article about Sweden earlier today. It has more details: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/catastrophe-sweden-coronavirus-stoicism-lockdown-europe
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So is there anywhere that you can get any kind of masks? I'd like to get some for my parents to wear when they go to the grocery store (they refuse to let me shop for them, grrrr). I don't have a sewing machine or I'd try to figure out how to do something from scratch.

Contact your local quilt guild or even JoAnn fabrics and see if they have names of people sewing masks. No, they are not as effective but better than nothing.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Ann - you might not be willing to, but non-dairy stuff lasts a lot longer in the fridge (like two months). More stuff in it, but it's not bad if you use it in coffee.

Sounds like an animal shelter, not what a hospital should have to ask for. Crazy times.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 597 Member
    Thanks to all who recommended ideas for dealing with my salad shortage :) I was planning to go shopping "tomorrow" at 6 am with the other "old people" (I'm 61, for goodness sake), but since I have been awake for at least an hour and don't feel ready to go back to sleep yet, I suspect I won't be waking up early for what is now "today." My alarm is set to allow me time to make coffee b/f my home workday begins, so I do have a failsafe in place. Maybe Thursday.

The study projecting peak dates had WI at May 22nd-ish, and now has us at April 26; more data, different projections. I'm eager to see if our state and national efforts are making a difference. It seems--from folks posting here--that we all see a lot of "non-compliance" still, and I wonder if the model takes that into account; I guess we will find out. Especially since people have been traveling for Spring Break over the past 2 weeks, and the impact of their movements might not show up in data for another 7-14 days, depending on when they got home.