Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people keep defending sugar?

Replies

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    People defend sugar because they don’t have sufficient willpower to never eat sugar.
    Personally, I live by the motto “anything in moderation is ok”.
    So, it’s ok to have sugar once in awhile. Like, yesterday I ate three cookies and today is my husbands birthday and we will have birthday cake. But will we have refined sugar everyday? No. We don’t eat it everyday. We eat it in moderation in combination with a nutritious well balanced diet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snippety)
    the molasses makes a meaningful contribution to my needs for iron (23%), potassium (839.5mg), and iron (23%).
    Oops, too late to edit. I meant "calcium (11.5%)"

Clearly, all that evil sugar, a whopping 50 calories of it (2.6% of calories), has hurt my feeble brain.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    BTW, thinking things over:

You know one thing I think is really great about refined white sugar? That *baby-feline* keeps forever.

Once in a rare while, I want to make dessert, I may use a little cane sugar. Most recently (May 16), sweetened dessert was a (not hyper-sweet) whole-wheat rhubarb upside down cake. (It which was tasty, BTW - no way I'm eating rhubarb without sweetening it. Most of the cake is still in the freezer, portioned out.)

I have a tight-lid gallon glass jar in the back of my cupboard with refined white sugar in it. When it gets ultra-low, I buy a 5-pound bag, and dump it in there. That bag will last literally years, never have to think about it, doesn't degrade, tastes fine indefinitely, probably all the way to the zombie apocalypse.

I'd say I can't remember when I bought white sugar last, since it's probably been 5+ years since I refilled the jar and it's still got many cups of sugar in it, but I did buy a small fresh bag of vegan refined white sugar last fall, to make some pickled grapes, plus a slightly-sweet vinaigrette for some roasted root veggies, to take to a potluck I knew was going to include a strict vegan, in amongst a crowd of omnivores.

Affirmative defense of refined white sugar: Excellent choice to keep in your survival bunker. :lol:

Yup, same here. I haven't bought sugar in ages, since I rarely use it, so nice that it keeps.

My sister's SO brought an apple pie to our 4th get together (grilling outside in my backyard) today. I was looking forward to it, but we ate too much other food (none involving added sugar) and plus it was hot (which tends to kill my appetite), so I didn't end up having any. I did have a bunch of sugar earlier since I enjoy smoothies for breakfast when it's hot, and made one that was more fruity than usual (again, craving icy fruit due to the weather, after doing a bunch of outside chores). No added sugar in that, all the sugar was from fruit and veg.

Anyway, I have some of the pie now, to eat later. Will likely have a piece tomorrow and Monday, but it really doesn't take that much willpower to resist, and I like apple pie. My weaknesses are just more for savory foods. So willpower has nothing to do with why I defend sugar. I defend it because there's simply nothing wrong with it in moderation in the context of a healthful and calorie-appropriate diet.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    A packet of table sugar ( 1/2 kg) lasts my household probably a year. I have 1/2 teaspoon on my breakfast cereal and visitors. sometimes have it in their tea/ coffee, and I use a little bit sometimes in cooking. But I don't cook many sweet things.

However I do eat many products with sugar already in them - bought cakes,cookies, chocolate, sweetened yoghurt, jam etc.