Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    My friend suggested no one pays tax this year if they owe any. I can actually see his point and generally I wouldn’t, but with a recession and people out of work it kinda makes sense. In other news they’re looking at moving the border further up near my town in NSW which would mean major long waits trying to get my mother to treatment.

You are in Australia, like me - No I dont think it makes sense to withhold any tax you owe.

Cant see how that would help situation at all - including for the person who doesnt pay it - they will only get fined as well as the money recouped in the end anyway.
    I think they meant because people are struggling financially so much tax bills should be waived entirely for this year. It won’t affect me but it’s an interesting concept.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Is anyone else afraid about the possibility of schools reopening??

The Florida governor has ordered all schools to reopen in the fall for full-time, face-to-face classes, and has banned any kind of "hybrid" remote-learning model.

The threat to withhold federal school dollars to states that do not open schools must be having an impact.

And I find that so sad and so wrong. :( Schools should NOT be forced to open but now what choice will they have if they lose their funding??
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    its not a very fair one though is it - people who have paid PAYG or tax in advance won't get a refund - unless they are really owed one,

and anyone actually not paying their tax bill (as oppossed to just facetiously suggesting it) will just get fined and have to pay it all later anyway
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Someone sent this to a IRL group I’m a member of and I just can’t. Why? Why would someone—an actual scientist and researcher!—post this? I don’t even know what to say.

https://jbhandleyblog.com/home/2020/6/28/secondwave
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Unfortunately if schools go back.to near normal and there are virus issues I can see a lot of healthy teachers using sick days so they won't be exposed to the petri dish.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Where I live, we have a Sheriff, a Deputy, and one Patrol Officer. I don't think having them running around mandating masks is a good use of their time.

You are really letting your anxiety run away with you.

Just like there is not a Deputy at every stop sign, there is not going to be a mass LEO response to a teenager at the Rite Aid not wearing a mask.

The "enforcement" as it is will fall to retailers and businesses to not serve those who are not wearing a mask. Just like dogs aren't allowed in stores, but people bring their dogs in anyway. Smoking isn't allowed at the zoo, but people smoke anyway. I don't blame stores and businesses for not being able to control this any more than they can control someone walking out with a $40 steak.

Be realistic here. C'mon.

There is a lot to be said for Social Pressure. The more people who wear masks, the more people will be self-conscious about not wearing them. Not everyone - because sociopathy and psychopathy - but we'll have to live with that or move to a tent in the woods.

You're right about social pressure. I wear a mask to go inside the bank during business hours, but never to go to the ATM inside the entrance on evenings when the bank is closed. Yesterday evening I went with no mask, and six other customers were there - ALL wearing masks except me. I felt really stupid!!

Of course we were all safe, because their masks protected them from me, and I was completely protected from them, as their mouths and noses were covered. I probably won't do that again.

Well, no, unless they were wearing N-95s to go to the ATM, their masks protected you, but not them. By the time any hypothetical virus droplets you were hypothetically exhaling got to their faces, the droplets would have broken down into smaller droplets that are more likely to penetrate their masks, whereas the droplets in their exhalations wouldn't have had time to break down before hitting the masks covering their noses and mouths. My mask protects you; your mask protects me.

Thanks for the enlightenment. As I said, the social pressure is great, and I probably won't do it that way again anyway.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    We read how home schooled kids typically do better with the college experience thing.

Where do you read this? I'm curious, as I was homeschooled (didn't go to school until I started college) and I'm unaware of any good data on outcomes related to college. Does "do better with the college experience" refer to grades, social adjustment, success in extracurricular activities, or something else?

@janejellyroll like with corona virus science to date most of the input on home schooled students in college is anecdotal in nature. I give the most weight to what educators experiences are when it comes to homeschooling.

I was the anti home school person in our home when our kids were born in 1997 but the wife who also earned a terminal degree 40 years ago had read more on the subject and wanted to home school.

I have a chiropractic then deep tissue massage this morning and afternoon so I am going to pre heat my body so my therapies will be less painful so I have to run now but in the meantime below was just one quick find. Try to read the comments as well. Later.

https://deeprootsathome.com/one-college-profs-experience-with-a-homeschooled-student/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    We read how home schooled kids typically do better with the college experience thing.

Where do you read this? I'm curious, as I was homeschooled (didn't go to school until I started college) and I'm unaware of any good data on outcomes related to college. Does "do better with the college experience" refer to grades, social adjustment, success in extracurricular activities, or something else?

@janejellyroll like with corona virus science to date most of the input on home schooled students in college is anecdotal in nature. I give the most weight to what educators experiences are when it comes to homeschooling.

I was the anti home school person in our home when our kids were born in 1997 but the wife who also earned a terminal degree 40 years ago had read more on the subject and wanted to home school.

I have a chiropractic then deep tissue massage this morning and afternoon so I am going to pre heat my body so my therapies will be less painful so I have to run now but in the meantime below was just one quick find. Try to read the comments as well. Later.

https://deeprootsathome.com/one-college-profs-experience-with-a-homeschooled-student/

That blog post is amazingly unrigorous. He was against homeschooling for years and then a single student changed his mind? The lack of critical thinking is astonishing.

"Fourth, in home school she had daily conversations with one parent or the other about a myriad of subjects, whereas her texting, video-gaming, ear-bud-wearing classmates too often skated, side-stepped or escaped adult interaction much of their short lives."

You can talk to your kids even when they're going to public school and I hate to break it to you, but as a homeschooled kid I availed myself of available technology. We had a Nintendo, I was listening to music on my Discman at every opportunity during my teenage years. This is a tissue of suppositions about homeschooling based on a single experience with an engaged and bright student. If this professor doesn't regularly have students engaging with his teaching, I can see why that would be impressive. But it doesn't really backup the claim that the "college experience" is easier for homeschooled kids.

I'm not against or for homeschooling, but my son played soccer years ago with a kid that only started high school after going the rest of his life home schooled. Nothing to do with homeschooling but the Mom was super/hyper protective and believed she was sheltering them from "satan".

Wildest kids in the entire high school Went absolutely nuts with their new found freedom. The son played like a wild boar on the soccer field too. His own teammates had to simmer the kid down. Not exactly socially adept.

I think the homeschooling is dependent on the parent in large part so hard to generalize either way.

Yeah, exactly -- I'd expect to see the full range of adolescent/YA behaviors in homeschooled kids. At the end of the day, a lot of it is going to come down to parenting (and individual personality). You can be a great parent and send your kids to school or a terrible parent who decides to homeschool. I've known several homeschooled kids who did go absolutely wild when they were teenagers or young adults.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Who Gets a Vaccine First? U.S. Considers Race in Coronavirus Plans https://nyti.ms/2BSb3IC

I am not a big fan of using race as a determination for who gets a vaccine first. As someone with a higher chance of dying if infected, I would hope that people like me can be first in line.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    The offer of the vaccine when and if it happens, should be offered to those who "need it" who are at most risk first. By this I mean Care Persons who are likely to have a greater exposure than others because they are working in the thick of it. And equally to those who for clinical reasons are at greatest risk even at lesser to minimal exposure to the virus those who are more likely to have desperate outcomes.

Also any available vaccine, when/if, it/they come, should be produced by as many companies and possible and used internationally not by just one country hogging it all to themselves. Sadly after a much too slow start by too many Governments in trying to restrict this virus, thankfully the base science behind this horrendous virus has been open to the world scientific community which has made this international property.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    The offer of the vaccine when and if it happens, should be offered to those who "need it" who are at most risk first. By this I mean Care Persons who are likely to have a greater exposure than others because they are working in the thick of it. And equally to those who for clinical reasons are at greatest risk even at lesser to minimal exposure to the virus those who are more likely to have desperate outcomes.

Also any available vaccine, when/if, it/they come, should be produced by as many companies and possible and used internationally not by just one country hogging it all to themselves. Sadly after a much too slow start by too many Governments in trying to restrict this virus, thankfully the base science behind this horrendous virus has been open to the world scientific community which has made this international property.

All fair points.

There are 2 factors:
    1. Risk of infection.
    2. Probability of negative outcome if infected.

Obviously anyone in the high risk for both should be first. You make a good point about the 1st factor (healthcare workers) being a priority over those of us in the higher risk on the 2nd factor.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    let me remind everyone that in NYC one in 8 residents in old folks homes died of Covid this spring. One eighth of all the old people, dead, gone, boom. Not something to emulate.

This is so sad, the scope is impossible for me to wrap my head around.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Is anyone else afraid about the possibility of schools reopening??
    All my kids are way over that age but my dh works at a private high school and they usually have about 150-200 dorm students each year, from everywhere. I know it's still about 6 weeks away from now but Honestly, I don't foresee a better environment anytime soon. I just think of all the little kids and worried parents who will have to deal with this. :( I know the world is aching to get back to 'normal' but at the price of subjecting the children? :(

I was thinking about this the other day, and I think what's needed is something radical: much reduced class sizes, especially for younger kids who can't be expected to understand the need to wear masks and to maintain their distance. Which means we need more classroom spaces and more teachers. Space could be rented from facilities that can't open yet anyway -- like movie theaters. performing arts centers, indoor sporting venues. Teachers -- or at least adult supervision -- could be drawn from the ranks of the 10% of Americans who are unemployed, maybe with some online/video support from actual older or immuno-compromised teachers.

ETA: another part of my imaginary radical scenario was going back to mini "one-room schoolhouses" -- not as individual buildings, but classrooms that might have kids of different ages, maybe mixing three families of kids (to limit the number of potential interfamily disease transmissions, if that makes sense). Obviously with the smaller average sizes of family these might not work as well as it would have decades ago (I think the average family size on the block I grew up on was about 3.5). You might have to go four families depending on how large the hypothetical reduced class sizes would be -- I was picturing between five and 10 kids.

I don't see how we can go back to normal-sized classes of 20+ kids, circulating around schools to music rooms and art rooms with different instructors (or changing rooms and teachers for every class with older kids). There would be exploding hot spots everywhere.

Speaking as someone who went to a 3-room K-8 in my earliest grades, I think that multigrade model is a pretty excellent model for social and education reasons, too. We had 3 grades to a room, so (sort of) you got some combination of a year of preview, a year of view, and a year of review for certain grades. At recess (because the 3 rooms were the whole school), there were all-grades games, not strict age segregation. I'm sure it was extra challenging for the teachers, though.

I dunno, my paternal grandmother managed to teach in that situation when she was a 17-year-old bride, and so did a lot of young women. It may have been challenging but they did it. And some of the students from her one-room-12-grade schoolhouse went to top schools on scholarships. My dad attended a school like that and went to MIT.

Incidentally my mom’s house has an abandoned one-room schoolhouse on the property, it’s in the back pasture and my buddy and I cleaned it out for a clubhouse when we were kids. They used to be everywhere. I think that one closed in 1960 something, when the surrounding village ceased to be a village because of people from the farm community moving into town.