Coronavirus prep

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Speaking as a retired teacher, students are not the same as when other older educators taught in one room school house. The degree of discipline, level of respect for authority, etc - ALL is gone. I have worked as a consultant to help new teachers coming in the field and many do not have the backing of the people in authority within their classrooms, nor parental input. Student misbehavior runs rampant at times, and the one room schools of "little House on the prairie or the Waltons"era- are long gone!!!!!!. Best to try to figure a way to do social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing etc- SAFELY!!!!!

Little house was a long time ago and the Waltons were fiction. In real life, on St Paddy’s and Halloween, the children of gangs of Irish field workers would fight the children of gangs of Italian transport workers outside the schoolhouse. That would have been... 1927ish? In the late 40s my dad and his buddies were straight up greasers with their cuffs rolled way up. I also have a photo of him and his first cousin on the front porch with a bear they shot. Kids back then were just as wild and crazy as kids today, just in different ways.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Someone sent this to a IRL group I’m a member of and I just can’t. Why? Why would someone—an actual scientist and researcher!—post this? I don’t even know what to say.

https://jbhandleyblog.com/home/2020/6/28/secondwave

Yeah, this is especially timely given the quote from Sweden’s health department this morning, which said roughly (not an exact quote, but close enough): “Hey guys? This may have been a mistake, we’re all dead now.”

I don’t expect everyone to be able to parse the numbers in their heads, but just for reference. Here in Tennessee, which is not doing so great compared to the rest of America, our population is a little under 7 million and our death count is 678. The population of Sweden is a little over 10 million and their death count is 5,550. If Tennessee had the same death rate as Sweden, we would have 3,666 deaths instead of 678. Sweden is not doing a great job, they are doing a terrible job.

Also for reference, since he claims New York City accidentally achieved herd immunity (also not true since there is no evidence they are anywhere near herd immunity now, but whatever), let me remind everyone that in NYC one in 8 residents in old folks homes died of Covid this spring. One eighth of all the old people, dead, gone, boom. Not something to emulate.

Yep, many people simply don't understand percentages, and don't understand herd immunity. As huge as the NY outbreak was, and as much as it cost them, they are nowhere near the percentage of immunity required to even begin to approach herd immunity. Achieving herd immunity without a vaccine is an inhumane goal, it would require literally millions of deaths in the US.

That Sweden still comes up as an example to follow is frustrating. Like you said, they are not a success, still don't have herd immunity themselves, and are a smaller more homogeneous society than the US, so getting everyone to get onboard the plan and follow direction should've been easier. I need a drink now :lol:

Thank you kimny for your thoughts. I am shocked Sweden is not doing great. I can understand US not doing well because of I'll do what I want attitude because "no one can tell me what to do". Are Sweden that way? I have no idea but I didn't think they were like that. Lets share a drink. We are about to get the virus here worse than before. I'm in Northern Queensland. They are opening our borders today to the other states except for Victoria which is not doing great. Yeah... let the virus come see us when we have zero except from the odd traveller showing up and in isolation. I can't wait. I'm getting prepared though but I'm not paying $18 for 10 masks that can be used once. That is nuts!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    We read how home schooled kids typically do better with the college experience thing.

Where do you read this? I'm curious, as I was homeschooled (didn't go to school until I started college) and I'm unaware of any good data on outcomes related to college. Does "do better with the college experience" refer to grades, social adjustment, success in extracurricular activities, or something else?

@janejellyroll like with corona virus science to date most of the input on home schooled students in college is anecdotal in nature. I give the most weight to what educators experiences are when it comes to homeschooling.

I was the anti home school person in our home when our kids were born in 1997 but the wife who also earned a terminal degree 40 years ago had read more on the subject and wanted to home school.

I have a chiropractic then deep tissue massage this morning and afternoon so I am going to pre heat my body so my therapies will be less painful so I have to run now but in the meantime below was just one quick find. Try to read the comments as well. Later.

https://deeprootsathome.com/one-college-profs-experience-with-a-homeschooled-student/

That blog post is amazingly unrigorous. He was against homeschooling for years and then a single student changed his mind? The lack of critical thinking is astonishing.

"Fourth, in home school she had daily conversations with one parent or the other about a myriad of subjects, whereas her texting, video-gaming, ear-bud-wearing classmates too often skated, side-stepped or escaped adult interaction much of their short lives."

You can talk to your kids even when they're going to public school and I hate to break it to you, but as a homeschooled kid I availed myself of available technology. We had a Nintendo, I was listening to music on my Discman at every opportunity during my teenage years. This is a tissue of suppositions about homeschooling based on a single experience with an engaged and bright student. If this professor doesn't regularly have students engaging with his teaching, I can see why that would be impressive. But it doesn't really backup the claim that the "college experience" is easier for homeschooled kids.

@janejellyroll Are not most anecdotal stories by nature unrigorous? :)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited July 2020
    We read how home schooled kids typically do better with the college experience thing.

Where do you read this? I'm curious, as I was homeschooled (didn't go to school until I started college) and I'm unaware of any good data on outcomes related to college. Does "do better with the college experience" refer to grades, social adjustment, success in extracurricular activities, or something else?

I was homeschooled. I had an excellent college experience. I wish real life were more like college. I think it generally means grades, I went full academic scholarship undergrad and full (grades based) scholarship to grad school.

Excellent study skills, the ability to self-regulate homework - NOT burnt out on the "classroom experience". Those skills don't necessarily carry past school.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Speaking as a retired teacher, students are not the same as when other older educators taught in one room school house. The degree of discipline, level of respect for authority, etc - ALL is gone. I have worked as a consultant to help new teachers coming in the field and many do not have the backing of the people in authority within their classrooms, nor parental input. Student misbehavior runs rampant at times, and the one room schools of "little House on the prairie or the Waltons"era- are long gone!!!!!!. Best to try to figure a way to do social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing etc- SAFELY!!!!!

If discipline is a problem, why do you believe it would be a greater problem if each teacher had fewer students to deal with (which would also make social distancing easier)? If student misbehavior is rampant, why do you think they can be expected to abide by rules on social distancing, mask wearing, and hand washing in the larger class sizes that have been typical in recent years?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited July 2020

Right wrong or indifferent on these 2 counts but they were true in the one room school house

The teacher had a paddle and/or a belt and had the permission to use it

And please not to offend anyone but there were no special needs kids in the one room schoolhouse for the teacher to work with. Special needs kids were sadly in a "home" or "asylum" instead of being mainstreamed into a classroom. Also due to prenatal and infant/child care advances special needs kids (mentally and physically) are now showing up and needing an education. In the one room school house time many never survived to be born or live to age 5. My wife has been in special education for about 30 years and she can see the changes in that time. They look at what some of these kids have been through and can tell that 10-15 years ago they would not be alive but are now due to medical miracles and parents are looking for an education for them regardless of level of physical or mental compromise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    T1D - I know you think there is an easy fix for everything, but there really isn't.

Your experience with the testing is just one of many reasons I won't get tested unless I'm being admitted to hospital or I am reallllllllly sick.

What good does it do to test healthy appearing people who will go right back out that afternoon and have a possibility of getting infected just 20 minutes after they take a test? Healthy, asymptomatic people who have no reason to think they've been exposed getting tested seems like a huge waste of resources right now.

If you had tested Positive they would have told you in that 48 hour period - or sooner.