Spoiler is my upcoming races:
    Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person
    Shooby Doo Virtual 10K
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July - September
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – Sept
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach 95% there!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @mbaker566 sorry about the DNF, but with a hurt ankle, I think you made the correct call.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I’m not seeing any evidence based on that article that ransom was paid, just that “someone” rumored it must have been because things are up now. But the more likely explanation for that is that they restored files from offline backups, given the time frame.

Yeah, it is all rumors as Garmin has officially said nothing. We do not even have a confirmation that it was a ransomware attack.

However, restoring from offline backups (which is what I would do over paying a ransom) would mean data loss. There is no way around it as they would have to use a backup from before the attack and that means there would be a data gap. If there is no data gap, then they found some other way to get back online. Decrypting is not possible in 4 days assuming the ransomware used a decent crypto algorithm. That means they either paid the ransom OR the ransomware rumor itself was wrong.

But it is all speculation.

UPDATE:

Garmin® issues statement on recent outage
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200727005634/en/Garmin®-issues-statement-outage/

Since they don't expect any material financial impact, and considering $10M to be financially material, I think this means they did not pay the ransom.

Or they are saying that to prevent admitting to a crime. They could mean "10 mil is small enough we can carry on without it" or something. The only to thing to be sure is that announcement was very carefully worded by a team of experts.

But it does seem to confirm the ransomware attack at least.

Not likely... the materiality threshold is something determined, usually with advice and collaboration with external auditors, and isn't something that is decided on a case by case basis. I find it hard to believe that $10M would be immaterial, but I haven't looked at Garmin's financials, so I don't have anything to base that belief upon.

I really love the brain cells in this group. You guys are nice to listen to and chat with . Just FYI. (I might be missing some stimulating adult conversation in my life.) :heart:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I’m not seeing any evidence based on that article that ransom was paid, just that “someone” rumored it must have been because things are up now. But the more likely explanation for that is that they restored files from offline backups, given the time frame.

Yeah, it is all rumors as Garmin has officially said nothing. We do not even have a confirmation that it was a ransomware attack.

However, restoring from offline backups (which is what I would do over paying a ransom) would mean data loss. There is no way around it as they would have to use a backup from before the attack and that means there would be a data gap. If there is no data gap, then they found some other way to get back online. Decrypting is not possible in 4 days assuming the ransomware used a decent crypto algorithm. That means they either paid the ransom OR the ransomware rumor itself was wrong.

From what I understand reading about “wasted,” it goes for systems rather than data, which would be consistent with what they have said about customer data never being in danger.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @HonuNui just saw the post about Douglas are you okay?

@quilteryoyo great new on your cousin with the Medicaid, bad news on the head on the truck.

@RunsOnEspresso I get up get dressed walk out the door every morning and the heat is like SMACK in the face. Ugh. I can’t relate to 85 at 5 am though we are slightly cooler at 80.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner I agree, big mistake if Garmin paid @Elise4270 I was reading that it’s illegal to ask for it but not illegal to pay it…and I just read T1DCarnivoreRunner’s comments and for all the reasons he said ha ha

@marisap2010 Sorry about Dad, hope he’s better soon

@mbaker566 stupid foot, I’m sorry to hear about the dnf. New pup is beyond cute

@katharmonic great job on the OneNY 1000km. I’m 95% done on my run to the beach should certainly be done this week.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @mbaker566 Sorry about the DNF, but if it makes you feel better, Aravaipa did a last person standing event this last weekend and every single person got a DNF. Plus. You listened to your body. You did the right thing. I'm glad you caught up with someone! I never see anyone when I run on the trails. I prefer it, but if I were having a day like you were, a friend would be nice. Dog looks beautiful! I already have my malamute or I'd be in. I'm learning to not overcommit so much in my life.

@Faebert good job! You're killing it! Also London! I didn't realize! That's one of the places I'd really like to visit!

@katharmonic You've got so much going on! That workout sounds killer! Good job!!!!!!

On Garmin.... it's all I've seen the past few days and it sounds awful for everyone involved. I hope it's fixed permanently now, so you can all live life again (har har)

@skippygirlsmom you've crushed your goal! Good job!

I never, ever, ever remember what my goal was, by the time we get to the end of the month. I have so many things going on that I think, "Oh, this number seems nice and round." I don't even pay attention to it because I'm paying attention to so many other things/ goals/ etc.

I have less than ten miles to go and I will hit 200 miles for July - HUGE PR and WAY MORE than I believed I'd ever do. I got my 1000 mile bib on Sunday too!

The trail Saturday was beastly.

The trail Sunday was the stuff of dreams. I got there and it was closed - but the thing about "Trail Closed," signs is that you can go around them or find a different entrance. In the case as it was on Sunday, I did find a different entrance, which lead to a little creek/ river and the trail I was looking for would have required me to cross it. Having no idea how deep the water was, how clean it was, or what was in it... I decided to go the other way.

So I went on this annoying loop for about a mile and then there was a bridge and then I saw MORE WATER and a rope swing (yay! mental note: Bring the kids to this magical place) and then A TRAIL! It was absolutely stunning. Huge bluffs to run around and under and over along with caves and a little natural water fall.... You know that feeling when you stumble across something new and you feel so alive and everything is so surreal and you feel so lucky to GET to be there? That's how Sunday was.

Then we went to the drive-in with a couple of friends to see Back to the Future with the kids - was such a great night.

So this week, I'm no longer eating everything in sight like I did last week after the ultra. I am focused on nutrition, strength training, PT, and running to prep for the next ultra. I hope it's a good week.

Work has sucked. The Big C is ruining everything.
  • PastorVincent
    I have less than ten miles to go and I will hit 200 miles for July - HUGE PR and WAY MORE than I believed I'd ever do. I got my 1000 mile bib on Sunday too!

YAY!! Well done!
  • PastorVincent

From what I understand reading about “wasted,” it goes for systems rather than data, which would be consistent with what they have said about customer data never being in danger.

I have not dug into Wasted but as a form SysAdmin, I would be demanding a complete system wipe/restore. That is the only way to be sure they did not leverage whatever opening they used to get in to put other malware in.

So who knows? The only facts we have are a couple vague statements by Garmin. We might never know the real truth.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    July Goal: 100 Miles

7/1: 6.51 miles
    7/2: 6.02 miles
    7/5: 10.10 miles
    7/7: 6.22 miles
    7/8: 6.05 miles
    7/9: 6.08 miles
    7/12: 10.03 miles
    7/14: 6.21 miles
    7/15: 6.02 miles
    7/16: 6.22 miles
    7/19: 10.52 miles
    7/21: 6.02 miles
    7/22: 6.02 miles
    7/23: 6.04 miles
    7/26: 10.52 miles
    7/28: 7.02 miles

115.6/100 miles completed for July

803.43/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 7 miles this morning and I got my 800 mile bib for Run the Year. I thought today's run was going to suck. When I got up at 5 this morning my weather app said it was 80°F feels like 84°F. It was humid in the mid 70's and the dew point was around 73°. But I got up and actually got out the door around 5:40 which is a little earlier than I usually get out. It was cloudy so it seemed extra dark and the first mile or so felt like I was running in slow motion. I just kind of resigned myself that it would be a slow run (and it was) but as often happens as the run progressed it got better. I saw a skunk. It was still kind of dark when I saw him and I think he saw me because he seemed to change direction and headed away from me. I guess he didn't want to be around me any more than I wanted to be around him, but he didn't have his tail up or anything so he didn't seem terribly concerned about me. It was finally starting to get lighter as I turned back toward home and that's when I really started to enjoy the run. The first half when I was on the sidewalk by the main road there just seemed to be a lot of trucks this morning and they are always so loud. The last half of the run I barely saw any cars and it was quiet and peaceful. I saw 4 deer as I was getting close to the park. They were crossing the road that I was running on. At first I just saw 2 and then one moved and I realized there was a baby behind it. Then the fourth one came onto the road and he just stopped and stared at me for a few minutes as I running toward them. Then a pickup turned onto the road and they all ran off. But it was a really neat moment. As I got close to home I started thinking that I felt drops of water. It wasn't raining, but it was cloudy and humid and I could just feel water in the air. Then I got home and let the dogs out and back in and at some point while I was doing yoga it did start raining. It was the nice kind of rain that I wouldn't have minded running in, but I was just glad we got some rain because we are really dry here and we need it bad.

@quilteryoyo Good news about your cousin. Hope you get your dad's truck up and running.

@mbaker566 Sorry about the DNF, but way to listen to your body. The new foster is really cute. I hope you find a good home for him.

@marisap2010 Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he is feeling better soon!

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,935 Member
    @mbaker566 Sorry about your DNF, but glad you listened to your body and didn't injure yourself. The conditions sound brutal. Your new foster is adorable.

@katharmonic Another brutal workout! You're amazing.

@Camaramandy648 Yeah for finding the new place on Sunday. It sounds wonderful.

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    07/01 - 4.5 Miles
    07/03 - 8.0 Miles
    07/07 - 4.6 Miles
    07/09 - 4.5 Miles
    07/11 - 8.0 Miles
    07/14 - 5.0 miles
    07/16 - 5.0 miles
    07/18 - 6.2 miles
    07/21 - 5.0 miles
    07/22 - 5.0 miles
    07/25 - 9.1 miles
    07/28 - 5.0 miles

July Total: 70/75 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,382 Member
    edited July 2020

There wouldn't necessarily be a gap. We used to do weekly full backups with daily incrementals. You restore from the full backups and apply the incrementals to bring you up to date for when the system was lost. The only gap would be data that wasn't captured in the incremental before the system went down. That gap can typically be covered with transaction logging to bring everything current other than transactions inflight at the time the systems went down/were locked.

They don't mention it in their statement but I heard one of the biggest concerns was that the flight navigation app was unavailable.

I think they could have encrypted so many parts of the systems and/or data making them inoperable without actually taking or deleting any of the actual user data. I am not sure if Garmin runs their own data centers but if not a supplier could spin up new environments for them pretty quickly, where the hackers could not get to it. Then the biggest issue is to restore everything and get all the connectivity back, hopefully with better security in place.
  • PastorVincent
    shanaber wrote: »

There wouldn't necessarily be a gap. We used to do weekly full backups with daily incrementals. You restore from the full backups and apply the incrementals to bring you up to date for when the system was lost. The only gap would be data that wasn't captured in the incremental before the system went down. That gap can typically be covered with transaction logging to bring everything current other than transactions inflight at the time the systems went down/were locked.

They don't mention it in their statement but I heard one of the biggest concerns was that the flight navigation app was unavailable.

I think they could have encrypted so many parts of the systems and/or data making them inoperable without actually taking or deleting any of the actual user data. I am not sure if Garmin runs their own data centers but if not a supplier could spin up new environments for them pretty quickly, where the hackers could not get to it. Then the biggest issue is to restore everything and get all the connectivity back, hopefully with better security in place.

Yes, if they had transaction logging on... but I would not trust those logs. Again, their systems were compromised at a point in time. Anything after that point in time has to be suspect. Data, logs, backups, anything. Only a very inexperienced admin would assume that a single piece of malware made it in through the hole.

Given the timing, I still suspect they paid the ransom, but I could be wrong. I am making guesses based on a very large lack of facts. :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom, @Camaramandy648 and @quilteryoyo.

Disappointing but not unexpected news - Spartan has cancelled all remaining races for 2020. I was holding out hope for a race in December (and my friends were banking on ones in August and October but I had written those off as not doable and likely not happening). I think I have 4 races to defer to 2021 and I'm kind of dreading how that process is going to go. The announcement today said we'll be emailed with instructions in a few days. Spartan has been really good about this so far, even giving away a free race code with the first cancellations back in April, but I suspect the mass cancellation is going to be challenging from a customer service standpoint to get everyone the codes they are owed and get them all to work. I appreciate that they are allowing deferrals though.

It's kind of crazy that last year I did 8 Spartan races, 4 5ks, 3 HMs and 5 other assorted distance road races and this year I did one 5k in January and that might be it.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    July goal: I dunno

7/1 rest
    7/2 3.10
    7/3 off
    7/4 3.10
    7/5 3.00
    7/6 rest
    7/74.00
    7/8 snorkel 3 hours
    7/9 4.4
    7/10
    7/11 snorkel 2 hours
    7/12 2.38
    7/13 off
    7/14 4.15
    7/15 off
    7/16 3.23
    7/17 off
    7/18 3.00
    7/19 off
    7/20 off
    7/21 3.55
    7/22 2.25
    7/23 snorkel 2 hours
    7/24 2.40
    7/25 Battening down for Douglas' arrival
    7/26 3.30
    7/27 off
    7/28 2.30

Total : 46.56

@elise4270 Thanks!
    @skippygirlsmom We're fine, thanks....it was quite stunning to watch the storm move just offshore of all the islands. And did they check a lipase level on you? (pancreatitis)
    @mbaker566 Would you drive her down to Hawaii?! She's beautiful...

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer
    (if one were to search for Honu Nui on FB, one might find a donation link...if one were so moved)

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,382 Member
    Figured it was time to get my milage on the books here. Looks like I will be around 55-60 miles so just about double my nominal estimate of 30 miles for the month. By next Friday I should be clear to resume all activities!
    @mbaker566 - That is too bad about the DNF but better to make sure you are healthy to come back and run another day! That pup is adorable! I hope you can find someone nearby who will take her so you can continue to see and visit her.
    @honunui - so glad the storm bypassed the island! I always think of you when I see storms heading toward Hawaii
    @katharmonic - that is too bad about the Spartan races. I am wondering how any of these race organizations are going to stay solvent through all of the cancellations.
    @pastorvincent - I don't think I said anywhere that it was a single point of entry. The actual entry point(s) could have been weeks or months ago honestly so if you want to distrust things it would probably mean throwing away all of your systems data backups and rebuilding from scratch which would be long and involved; maybe the databases could have some hacking code embedded in the actual data but likely not. I doubt if the greater public will ever know precisely what happened and how they got out of it but I agree a pay off of the ransom seems most likely. Hopefully they will be making big changes to their systems to prevent it from happening again. Most people have no idea that this has happened many many times to hospitals, state and local government systems, etc.. The organizations hit don't want it out publicly and most of the time it doesn't get the attention this did because of the number of impacted users.

Date..........Miles........Total
    07/01.......0.00..........0.00
    07/02.......0.00..........0.00
    07/03.......0.00..........0.00
    07/04.......0.00..........0.00
    07/05.......0.00..........0.00
    07/06.......1.93..........1.93
    07/07.......0.00..........1.93
    07/08.......0.00..........1.93
    07/09.......0.00..........1.93
    07/10.......0.00..........1.93
    07/11.......0.00..........1.93
    07/12.......3.22..........5.15
    07/13.......3.06..........8.21 - + Agility Class
    07/14.......0.00..........8.21
    07/15.......4.58........12.79
    07/16.......3.30........16.09
    07/17.......0.00........16.09
    07/18.......5.08........21.17
    07/19.......0.00........21.17
    07/20.......3.68........24.85 - + Agility Class
    07/21.......0.00........24.85
    07/22.......2.90........27.75
    07/23.......5.38........33.13
    07/24.......3.89........37.02
    07/25.......0.00........37.02
    07/26.......5.58........42.60
    07/27.......5.88........48.48 - + Agility Class
    07/28.......0.00........48.48 - HITT and Stretch and Roll

2020 Run the Year Team - 2020 R.I.O.T. (Running Is Our Therapy) 946.42/1000 miles (running and walking)

2020 Planned and Completed Races
    02/02/20 - Surf City Half Marathon
    09/26/20 - Beat the Blerch 10K Virtual
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @mbaker566 Sorry about the DNF, but I think you made the right choice of listening to your body so that you don’t make the injury worse.
  • PastorVincent
    shanaber wrote: »
    @pastorvincent - I don't think I said anywhere that it was a single point of entry. The actual entry point(s) could have been weeks or months ago honestly so if you want to distrust things it would probably mean throwing away all of your systems data backups and rebuilding from scratch which would be long and involved; maybe the databases could have some hacking code embedded in the actual data but likely not. I doubt if the greater public will ever know precisely what happened and how they got out of it but I agree a pay off of the ransom seems most likely. Hopefully they will be making big changes to their systems to prevent it from happening again. Most people have no idea that this has happened many many times to hospitals, state and local government systems, etc.. The organizations hit don't want it out publicly and most of the time it doesn't get the attention this did because of the number of impacted users.

Yes, this is a very lucrative business for the malware people. There is very little ongoing expense and a huge potential profit.

Sucky all the way around no matter what path they took and no matter what the press release says the cost of recovery will be passed on to consumers plus the costs of whatever extra means they have to take now to make sure it does not happen again. The money has to come from somewhere, and for a commercial business that ultimately means from your sales.