The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Hi All. I've been reading all the posts though I feel like I don't have anything to add. I'm so Coronavirus weary and sad about the state of the world and the US especially. Why are people so selfish? We could have had this done and over with if people would have worn their masks and acted responsibly like other countries. Why does it have to be political? Anyway I am going to eye dr then lunch with 2 girlfriends who are furloughed (flight attendants) so I am sure the wine will be flowing. I'm not using any of this as an excuse to indulge. They know I have to drive pretty far so I am sure there will be no pressure to join them. I continued to be inspired by everyone's stories so please keep sharing. Have a healthy day <3

You are absolutely correct and said everything I feel! 6:49 am in Vegas another 24, congratulations @Beka365 150 days is fabulous 💖
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Oops @Beka395 I'm terrible remembering numbers for more than 5 seconds 😳
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Oops @Beka395 I'm terrible remembering numbers for more than 5 seconds 😳

If those 4 digits were not my phone # for 20 years I wouldn’t be able to remember them, either. Haven’t had that # in 10 years but it seems to still hang around 🤣
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Good luck with the nicotine. Quitting tobacco was the hardest thing I've ever done.
    Some people might recommend quitting one thing at a time but whatever, you've got to do you!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Yeah! Elton John celebrated 30 years of sobriety! If he can do it, we can too! <3 His movie Rocketman was quite good and showed how his addiction spiraled out of control.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Live and learn. Still loving Sober School (Day 28 of 42 today). I finally found something that tastes good to drink and offers that "heft" I get from alcohol: grapefruit juice and tonic. The bad news is . . . I am not a sweets person at all so almost never eat sugar. This drink tastes more bitter than sweet, and that's why I like it, but both ingredients have sugar. Tonic actually has comparable amounts to soda. I've discovered that for me, sugar is almost as bad as alcohol as far as interfering with my sleep and causing anxiety. Bummer! I tried diet tonic but don't like the taste of aspartame or even stevia.

So . . . does anyone have any suggestions for a brilliant AF, satisfying drink? Of course I drink tea and sparkling water or soda and lime. I'm even enjoying AF beer. That's the closest I've come and may be what I stick with when I'm really craving something satisfying. But I'd sure love to find something AF that's as satisfying as the grapefruit and tonic, without the sugar.
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp I would also love to know about some good satisfying drinks. I did buy watermelon mint juice recently and it was so delightful. In the grocery section pass the fruits and veggies, there are a ton of fresh juices, kombucha drinks, etc. I may visit there each time and buy some new beverages for variety.
  • RubyRed427
    Just having a recap at how I'm doing so far.

114 days AF racked up since April ~
    11 day AF streak currently ~
    Day 11 AE with Annie Grace ~

So 11 days means that I now have absolutely no alcohol left in my system. Thank goodness for that ! 🎊🎉

Beautiful job!!! Day 11 - you are doing very well!!
  • RubyRed427
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    Honestly @FeelinFooFoo your're right about alcohol is everywhere commercials etc. I find summer especially hard too. Your hot you want to drink more. Water tonic and selzers are getting old. What to drink? I made an AF sangria for a party with lots of fruits. That was nice. Hubs wanted me to add vodka. I thought about it. Lol.
    Nope that wont turn out good. The last time I made mojitos in that jug, it has a spout to pour. Its pretty big. I almost died the next day. Anyway its tough. Happy AF weekend everyone!

It was hard not to laugh and cry at the same time when you wrote you almost died from the jug of mojitos. I hear you! I have been there!~
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    I love carbonated water with lime or lemon or cranberry juice or the entire combo...throw in some frozen fruit yummy...

In reference to addiction, I am reading a book by Gabor Mate, "The Realm of Hungry Ghosts." It chronicles his decades of work with drug addicts at the Downtown Eastside Vancouver clinic. At the outset he quotes Alice Miller who wrote "Breaking Down the Wall of Silence." She asks, "What is addiction, really? It is a sign, a signal, a symptom of distress. It is a language that tells us about a plight that must be understood." and he refers to the "domain of addiction, where we constantly seek something outside of ourselves to curb an insatiable yearning for relief or fulfillment...his book is a very caring, compassionate and honest look at the nature of addiction and he has tremendous compassion toward one of the most marginalized groups in our society.

Further in the book he also details varying addictions food, work, shopping, nicotine, the Internet, cosmetic surgery, even exercise...It was interesting to me that alcohol addiction wasn't listed separately, but when I think about it alcohol is more like a drug anyway. The point he makes right at the outset is that although addiction comes in various forms, and various substances it has the same root as that of the drug addicted. The addiction is only the symptom of something brewing beneath the surface/facade that we can present to the rest of the world.

Happy Sobriety to all <3