Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• ixchelkeshet
    ixchelkeshet Posts: 36 Member
    SW 222
    CW 196
    Age 64

I just read a comment from another MFP member excited to have graduated from obese to overweight. So I started to wonder, am I still obese? The overweight category tops out at a BMI less than 30. So, what am I?

I am 5'4.5" And celebrating getting down to 196. Using an online BMI calculator, my BMI is 33.1. So, no. I am still obese. Ugh. Plugging in progressively lower numbers, I find that I have to get down to 175 pounds to reach the overweight category (BMI 29.6). Eye-yi-yi! Looks like the good as gold doctor held her tongue, bless her heart. I've been obese for quite a while. Rats. Oh well, that is my new very earnest goal, to get down to 175 pounds and be able to call myself overweight again. 🧚
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    It’s Saturday!

What are your favorite things to do on the weekend/days off?

Jill 😎
    Since hubby and I are both retired all days are the same for us.

• grandrory
    I went outside and watered all my flower beds today. It sure felt good to be able to do something! Hubby pulled the hose out for me so all I had to do was water. I had to really fight the urge to want to pull more weeds but I didn't.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    One Skinny Cow ice cream, a cold bottle of amber ale and stay inside my calorie goal too...
    Don't mind if I do...
    v1y14h3i3ekh.png
  • pandygirl1
    pandygirl1 Posts: 87 Member
    I've also ready the comments about Weight and BMI. So here goes my stats.

I'm a 6'0, 57 year old female,

Highest Weight: 400lbs, BMI 54.2, classified as Obese 3. 😡

Current Weight: 287 lbs, BMI 38.9, classified obese 2. 😩

Goal Weight: 200 lbs, BMI 27.1,
    classified as overweight. 😃 🎉

Considered normal weight for my height. 184 lbs, BMI 25 🙃

When I reach 200 lbs, then I'll decide if I want to go any lower in my weight.
    Just looking forward to hitting the 200 mark. Would be nice though to be in Onederand some day. 👋🎊😃

• cpnknight
    pandygirl1 wrote: »

Just looking forward to hitting the 200 mark. Would be nice though to be in Onederand some day. 👋🎊😃

One step at a time Pandy, one step at a time. You have already come a long way upon your weight loss road....well done!
  • grandrory
    I saw this recipe today in a monthly magazine we get from our electric coop. I'm always looking for recipes to help with my sweet tooth😁. I put all the ingredients into the MFP recipe builder and this is the nutritional info it gave me per serving:
    Calories: 68, Total Fat: 0.1g, Total Carbs: 12.1g, Protein: 5.7gzspnx7s5u4w1.jpeg
    kvg5w23egmhh.jpeg
  • grandrory
    cpnknight wrote: »
    One Skinny Cow ice cream, a cold bottle of amber ale and stay inside my calorie goal too...
    Don't mind if I do...
    v1y14h3i3ekh.png
    Way to go 🙌🙌
  • grandrory
    pandygirl1 wrote: »

You've come such a long way on your weight loss, congratulations! I just know you'll make it, you have the determination.
    I'm 63 yrs old, 5'2". I started out at my highest weight 233 pounds, BMI 42.6. Morbidly obese. I'm now at 203, BMI 37.1 still morbidly obese. I have to get my BMI down to 130 to be obese. To be considered over weight I need to weigh 160 pounds and have a BMI of 25. My goal weight is 135 pounds which will put my BMI at 24.7, the upper end of normal range.
    We're all on this journey together and with the support we get from one another we can do this! Like cpnknight said...one step at a time.
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    I have been missing the past few days and now I am way behind. Welcome to anyone new that has joined our group!!!

@grandrory so glad you are able to move around without pain now. I had some bad luck in tha past few days and my right shoulder has frozen. I have had a frozen left shoulder for about a year now that is getting better ,but I still don't have full range of motion yet. My doctor warned me that there was a strong possibility that this would happen to my right shoulder also. So here I am. This right shoulder has been 10 times more painful and I haven't been able to see my doctor yet. The pain was so bad Friday evening I went into a Express Medical clinic yesterday morning. I just couldn't take the pain anymore. They didn't do much of anything for me. I understand the opioid addiction crisis in this country, but why do they with hold effective pain relief for patients that need it? Honestly it was super frustrating. I felt so foolish begging for the doctor to do something or cut my arm off. So all I got for my trouble was a script for 800mg ibuprofen and shot of Tramadol in my butt. Honestly, I don't even think that doctor knew what frozen shoulder was. I asked her to google it just so she could understand how painful the freezing up stage can be, but she just said call your regular doctor on Monday.

So I am doing the best I can and feeling super handicapped as I am right handed and I can't lift my arm higher than my chin without excruciating pain. so between the storms and my shoulder this past week sucked lol :s . I am trying to find the bright side and keep my humor.

My update is that my weight is in a holding pattern for some reason. i was 196. 4 - 196.8 the past 5 days. My calories have been the same, but I could not exercise much at all. I think I will be mostly walking now due to my shoulder. I sure hope everyone has a good Sunday!!!

• eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Off to a deliberate bad start...
    Two rashers of bacon, two fried eggs, two fried tomatoes and a lovely slice of very greasy fried bread.....Heavenly!

I know it is not the best thing diet wise but what the heck.... I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will be more careful through the rest of the day.

that breakfast sounds delicious!!!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    Happy Sunday Fit at Fifty & Plus Friends!

It’s Sunday check in day. Today I decided to use the graphs from our “progress” section to compare “this week’s” results to my “starting day” of June 1st, 2020.

I’m up a pound and 2 ounces from my lowest on June 27th at 217.3.

Looking at the big picture... I’m very pleased. This is a journey... there will be bumps in the road. Just gotta keep moving forward. 🚲

Weekly progress: down .9 lbs 😁
    9kx5pd9ejcbi.jpeg

• jm216
    Progress from June 1: 👍👍👍
    bc12zlg7rz7k.jpeg

One of my bumps in the road looks like cat ears! 🥰

Happy Sunday! ❤️

Jill
  • cpnknight
    Weigh in day and it is good news......
    Last week 335.6 lbs
    This week 334.2 lbs
    So a 1.4 lb loss....yay.
    This weight equals 23.9 stone, which means that the 24 stone numbers are now a thing of the past!
    The new mini goal is to drop the weight to 329 lbs or less...
  • grandrory
    Good morning friends 👋 Here's my weigh-in ...
    PW: 201.6
    CW: 202.0
    Not as bad as I was thinking it would be, but I definitely need to work on my emotional eating! I'm doing ok on the smoking. Since Aug 1st I've gone from smoking a pack a day to half a pack a day. Lots of baby steps... Don't have a exercise plan in place for this week due to my back but hoping I'll be able to start up again soon!
  • grandrory
    jm216 wrote: »
    Progress from June 1: 👍👍👍
    bc12zlg7rz7k.jpeg

One of my bumps in the road looks like cat ears! 🥰

Happy Sunday! ❤️

Jill
    Congratulations on your loss, way to go🎉🎈
  • grandrory
    eapar507 wrote: »
    I have been missing the past few days and now I am way behind. Welcome to anyone new that has joined our group!!!

@grandrory so glad you are able to move around without pain now. I had some bad luck in tha past few days and my right shoulder has frozen. I have had a frozen left shoulder for about a year now that is getting better ,but I still don't have full range of motion yet. My doctor warned me that there was a strong possibility that this would happen to my right shoulder also. So here I am. This right shoulder has been 10 times more painful and I haven't been able to see my doctor yet. The pain was so bad Friday evening I went into a Express Medical clinic yesterday morning. I just couldn't take the pain anymore. They didn't do much of anything for me. I understand the opioid addiction crisis in this country, but why do they with hold effective pain relief for patients that need it? Honestly it was super frustrating. I felt so foolish begging for the doctor to do something or cut my arm off. So all I got for my trouble was a script for 800mg ibuprofen and shot of Tramadol in my butt. Honestly, I don't even think that doctor knew what frozen shoulder was. I asked her to google it just so she could understand how painful the freezing up stage can be, but she just said call your regular doctor on Monday.

So I am doing the best I can and feeling super handicapped as I am right handed and I can't lift my arm higher than my chin without excruciating pain. so between the storms and my shoulder this past week sucked lol :s . I am trying to find the bright side and keep my humor.

My update is that my weight is in a holding pattern for some reason. i was 196. 4 - 196.8 the past 5 days. My calories have been the same, but I could not exercise much at all. I think I will be mostly walking now due to my shoulder. I sure hope everyone has a good Sunday!!!

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how painful shoulder pain can be. I had to have a complete shoulder replacement about 2 years ago due to a nasty fall. It's miserable! Took me almost 9 months to be able to move or do anything with that arm without being in pain. Have you tried the hot/cold treatment? I was told to put ice on my shoulder for 20 min then put heat on it for 20 min. I had to do that about every 2 hours. I know what you mean about pain pills. With that kind of pain ibuprofen just doesn't cut it! Hopefully your Dr will give you something stronger. It's sad that because some people mis-use pain pills the people that really need them can't get them. I hope you start feeling better soon!
  • LucyBzz
    LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
    Hello all - I hope you are all well & no more storms!
    I am very grateful that I was able to visit my father today for the first time since February - it was good to see him. (I have no idea how to record my lunch though - he made meat & potato pie which is one of the few things he feels that he cooks well & you can't say no when he wants to make it for you!)
    Todays weight: 195lb
    Target by Christmas: 180lb

• jm216
    LucyBzz wrote: »
    Hello all - I hope you are all well & no more storms!
    I am very grateful that I was able to visit my father today for the first time since February - it was good to see him. (I have no idea how to record my lunch though - he made meat & potato pie which is one of the few things he feels that he cooks well & you can't say no when he wants to make it for you!)
    Todays weight: 195lb
    Target by Christmas: 180lb
    Glad you got to see your dad. 🥰
    Just type it in your food diary and it will give you some different options.
  • jm216
    Hello Friends,

It’s a fresh start to a new week. I wish you all good health and positivity today. Squeeze in something fun for yourself... then share it with us... if you’d like.

What project are you working on? What makes you happy? What is your sweet escape? Reading a good book? Going for a walk?

eo24oyngyijz.jpeg

Jill 😁