Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    Hi Jill. I guess hanging out with my grandchildren is my number one favorite things to do. I have two little ones Malaya who is almost 4, and her sister Jade who is 2. They keep me young..lol I am also a big Audible fan here. I listen during my 1 hour commute to and from work and while exercising. So I guess reading or listening to books is one of my escapes. I also enjoy my reef aquariums.

My girls:

cay7k3jihow3.jpeg
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    Malaya and Jade are beautiful! 🥰
    They look like they get along together well... and I love their matching outfits.❤️❤️
  • jm216
    2a9py2x3fpc9.jpeg
    Happy Tuesday, friends! Keep up the good work!

Jill❤️
  • jm216
    cyac22kzcgzd.jpeg
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2020
    While we are on the subject...
    My twin boys.
    d2vt3ozxwjub.png
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    Hello Friends,

It’s a fresh start to a new week. I wish you all good health and positivity today. Squeeze in something fun for yourself... then share it with us... if you’d like.

What project are you working on? What makes you happy? What is your sweet escape? Reading a good book? Going for a walk?

eo24oyngyijz.jpeg

Jill 😁
    The project I was working on (getting a garden spot ready) has been put on hold for now. I also have a couple flower beds that I need to thin out so need to get some new beds made so I can transplant some. I've got a unfinished quilt I've been thinking about pulling out and working on, I'd like to get it finished. That's my projects for now.
    What makes me happy is when all my family gets together. That doesn't happen often enough since my oldest daughter and her children live in a different state so when we do have the chance to all be together it's priceless! My sweet escape is being outside bird watching. I love watching birds! I make my own suet cakes with peanut butter and the birds just flock to it especially woodpeckers. They love peanut butter lol. We have several different kinds of bird feeders plus several hummingbird feeders. I enjoy sitting outside to read and watch the birds at the same time.
    I've been doing a bible study on the book of Revelation. That's the last thing my dad asked of me before he passed so I'm trying to honor his wish. I also love to bake! I will look for any excuse to be able to be in the kitchen baking lol.
  • grandrory
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Weigh in day and it is good news......
    Last week 335.6 lbs
    This week 334.2 lbs
    So a 1.4 lb loss....yay.
    This weight equals 23.9 stone, which means that the 24 stone numbers are now a thing of the past!
    The new mini goal is to drop the weight to 329 lbs or less...
    WooHoo congratulations🎉🥳🎉 That's awesome!
  • eapar507
    My twin boys.
    d2vt3ozxwjub.png

Those are handsome boys!!!
  • grandrory
    My twin boys.
    d2vt3ozxwjub.png
    I can see why you're so proud. They are good looking boys!
  • grandrory
    eapar507 wrote: »
    Hi Jill. I guess hanging out with my grandchildren is my number one favorite things to do. I have two little ones Malaya who is almost 4, and her sister Jade who is 2. They keep me young..lol I am also a big Audible fan here. I listen during my 1 hour commute to and from work and while exercising. So I guess reading or listening to books is one of my escapes. I also enjoy my reef aquariums.

My girls:

cay7k3jihow3.jpeg
    Awww how cute. I miss my grand kids being little, my youngest one just turned 13 (doesn't seem like she should be a teenager) seems like just yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital.
  • grandrory
    @eapar507 how is your shoulder? I hope you were able to get some help with your pain.
  • eapar507
    edited August 2020
    grandrory wrote: »
    @eapar507 how is your shoulder? I hope you were able to get some help with your pain.

The pain is better. I have been alternating cold with heat the past couple days. Sleeping at night is the hardest now. I am seeing my doctor later this afternoon hopefully he will tell me it is what I suspect and just a frozen shoulder. Thank you for asking.😊
  • eapar507
    jm216 wrote: »
    Hello Friends,

It’s a fresh start to a new week. I wish you all good health and positivity today. Squeeze in something fun for yourself... then share it with us... if you’d like.

What project are you working on? What makes you happy? What is your sweet escape? Reading a good book? Going for a walk?

eo24oyngyijz.jpeg

Jill 😁
    The project I was working on (getting a garden spot ready) has been put on hold for now. I also have a couple flower beds that I need to thin out so need to get some new beds made so I can transplant some. I've got a unfinished quilt I've been thinking about pulling out and working on, I'd like to get it finished. That's my projects for now.
    What makes me happy is when all my family gets together. That doesn't happen often enough since my oldest daughter and her children live in a different state so when we do have the chance to all be together it's priceless! My sweet escape is being outside bird watching. I love watching birds! I make my own suet cakes with peanut butter and the birds just flock to it especially woodpeckers. They love peanut butter lol. We have several different kinds of bird feeders plus several hummingbird feeders. I enjoy sitting outside to read and watch the birds at the same time.
    I've been doing a bible study on the book of Revelation. That's the last thing my dad asked of me before he passed so I'm trying to honor his wish. I also love to bake! I will look for any excuse to be able to be in the kitchen baking lol.

I like your escapes @grandrory. Bird watching is very relaxing. I should try some hummingbird feeders in my yard.
  • grandrory
    eapar507 wrote: »

The pain is better. I have been alternating cold with heat the past couple days. Sleeping at night is the hardest now. I am seeing my doctor later this afternoon hopefully he will tell me it is what I suspect and just a frozen shoulder. Thank you for asking.😊
    I'm glad the pain is getting better! Prayers for a speedy recovery!
  • grandrory
    Does everyone go by the calories that MFP sets for you or do you set your own? I go by what MFP set for me, 1200 a day. That seems to be the norm for most females lol.
  • jm216
    I use MFP for calories too. I like to keep it easy using mainly 1 app.

vdy5iqgouztx.jpeg
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    I have been doing some weight lifting the last couple of days. We are putting in a flagstone patio, so lift, move, shift and set! Glad I have the hot tub to soak in, although lately we are putting a bag of ice in it so it is a cool tub instead! :D
  • jm216
    crosbylee wrote: »
    I have been doing some weight lifting the last couple of days. We are putting in a flagstone patio, so lift, move, shift and set! Glad I have the hot tub to soak in, although lately we are putting a bag of ice in it so it is a cool tub instead! :D

A great way to end a hard working day... chillin’ in your cool 🛁
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Does everyone go by the calories that MFP sets for you or do you set your own? I go by what MFP set for me, 1200 a day. That seems to be the norm for most females lol.

It's a starting point. MFP gave me 1200, too, but it was too few, even though I was eating exercise calories as recommended with the MFP estimate: I lost too fast, got weak and fatigued. Even though I corrected as soon as I realized, it took several weeks to get back to normal.

Everyone's different, the MFP estimate is a starting point. It will be close for most, off for a few, possibly way off for a very few. Monitor weight loss, adjust if losing faster than sensible or way too slowly, after at least a month of trying it consistently, would be what I'd suggest.

Since figuring out my own requirements during weight loss, I've set my own calories for 4+ years since, losing and maintenance, getting the results I expect based on my own data. Other people get fine results with the MFP estimate, and continue accordingly.

Best wishes! 🙂
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    Hello all,

I'm a 56-yo woman (5'4") and, although I've pretty much always been on the heavier side, my current weight of 210 lbs is the most I've ever been. I lost 45 lbs on WW 20+ years ago, putting me below goal weight, and I kept the weight off for several years...then it started coming back on a little at a time. It's been up and down for 15 years, with each up going higher and each down not quite getting to goal.

I do know that MFP/journaling works for me and I'm counting on the encouragement and accountability without judgement this group offers to get me through the tough spots. The last time I dared take measurements and record them was on MFP in 2015. What I wouldn't give to be where I was then!

In all my years of losing/gaining/losing, I've never taken before/during/after pictures. When my weight is climbing, I avoid full-length mirrors and do my best to keep the camera focus off me. Today, I took a good long and painful look at myself in the mirror, got angry instead of sad, and took the damned pictures.

I'm here. I'm determined. I'm a team player and will stand by you or help lift you up, whichever you need. Thank you for letting me join you on the journey.

Donna