What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    edited August 2020
    Still not regularly participating in the thread, because I'm too booorrrrrrinnngggg, but still plugging away at my minimalist steady state machine row 6 days a week, lacadaisical lifting 3 days a week. It'll have to do. 😉 Probably get in enough meters to hit the Dog Days Challenge, at least (yup, that minimalist).
    50 minutes, a bit harder than yesterday's test run for my back. Nothing too hard, kept HR between 65% and 70% of max. 30 on the LateralX and 20 on the Assault Bike. Around 620 calories or so. Still too hot to row and I'm not sure if it wasn't that I would yet. Want to make sure the back is feeling much stronger before I attempt that.

Bought a planking board with a game built into it. Frustrated with how often my back has been hurt. Going to work a lot more on my abs. I'm believing I'm out of balance with my core not matching my back muscles. My shoulders used to get injured a lot when I did too much rowing or too much benching. I'm a firm believer in balancing the body out. Although rowing does work the core, I hadn't been rowing much lately, so I'm guessing that's why I pulled something last week, one day after my monthly hard row timed test.

So sorry you're going through this, Mike! Especially bad timing if you'd been planning to enter the USRowing Virtual Summer National Championships . . . looks to have been low participation, and not hypercompetitive (at least in the classes of interest to me). Not a chance in the world of winning/medaling, but age group doesn't look ultra-fast, even though no weight classes. I'd wondered if it would be low participation. Not sure how the men's masters classes were competitively, though. Men's is usually stronger (relatively speaking) than women's, in indoor masters, it seems like.

Hope your new routine helps you heal and avoid repeats.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Yesterday I sadly thought I had the power for a fully body. I did it. My deadlifts suffered. My shoulders rocked it. 2 days of rest/cardio to come. I think I’ll attempt to run today!
  • alexmose
    It’s raining ^^^ :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Only 2 1/4 miles today, 20+ chin-ups, 50+ push-up.

Woke up really tired. I usually have a cup of coffee, wait about 30-45 minutes and then do my 3 miles, but decided this morning to delay the coffee and just get after it. Never really found my breathing today and kind of labored. Why struggle and be miserable if I don't have to? So I cut it a bit short. I'll get after it again Friday!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Had a morning ride on the bike doing 19 miles in 92 minutes - did what passes for hills around here so a little slower than usual. Will be doing upper body/core work this afternoon to help balance out the leg work.
  • colieblossom
    colieblossom Posts: 84 Member
    Hi, so far I walked 3 miles
  • JVick2013
    JVick2013 Posts: 4 Member
    today was Les Mills (on demand, ROKU) body pump #103 45 minutes. Tricep hell. :)
  • pisces0479
    pisces0479 Posts: 1 Member
    Today I did some stretching, lunges, push ups and kettlebell.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Still not regularly participating in the thread, because I'm too booorrrrrrinnngggg, but still plugging away at my minimalist steady state machine row 6 days a week, lacadaisical lifting 3 days a week. It'll have to do. 😉 Probably get in enough meters to hit the Dog Days Challenge, at least (yup, that minimalist).
    50 minutes, a bit harder than yesterday's test run for my back. Nothing too hard, kept HR between 65% and 70% of max. 30 on the LateralX and 20 on the Assault Bike. Around 620 calories or so. Still too hot to row and I'm not sure if it wasn't that I would yet. Want to make sure the back is feeling much stronger before I attempt that.

Bought a planking board with a game built into it. Frustrated with how often my back has been hurt. Going to work a lot more on my abs. I'm believing I'm out of balance with my core not matching my back muscles. My shoulders used to get injured a lot when I did too much rowing or too much benching. I'm a firm believer in balancing the body out. Although rowing does work the core, I hadn't been rowing much lately, so I'm guessing that's why I pulled something last week, one day after my monthly hard row timed test.

So sorry you're going through this, Mike! Especially bad timing if you'd been planning to enter the USRowing Virtual Summer National Championships . . . looks to have been low participation, and not hypercompetitive (at least in the classes of interest to me). Not a chance in the world of winning/medaling, but age group doesn't look ultra-fast, even though no weight classes. I'd wondered if it would be low participation. Not sure how the men's masters classes were competitively, though. Men's is usually stronger (relatively speaking) than women's, in indoor masters, it seems like.

Hope your new routine helps you heal and avoid repeats.

Thanks Ann. I'm beginning to believe that my competitive days are over at 55. It's sad to think that, but this year, I spent nearly a year trying to get back to form and didn't come close. At best, I got a sub 8 minute 2K (I think a 7:57) My PB only less than three years ago was 7:11. That's like an ocean of difference (as you well know!). I said if I weren't sub 7:30 by the end of this year, I wouldn't compete and that's looking highly unlikely at this point.

The meters were there, but the strength wasn't. When I set my PB, I was lifting 3X a week. With the gyms closed and limited access to weights (along with the back issues), it's been hard to consistently lift safely. I can do machines easier than free weights. I have more than some (Bowflex adjustable 50 lb weights) and some heavy KBs. But the ballistics of the KBs has been hard on the back and I don't have a weight bench, so I'm limited on what I can do with the dumbbells. I might invest in a reasonable bench soon.

I have that plank board coming in this week to gamify planks. I'm hoping that gives the core enough strength to help the back. I'm likely going to change at least one day a week to some yoga (which I absolutely detest) for back strength. But so far, what I've been doing isn't working. So time to change things up.

In the scheme of things, it's about health and I'm a whole lot healthier than I used to be. I just enjoy competition as well, but if I'm not close to being competitive, I'm not going to go for a participation award.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Agility Drills
    Two Foot Forwards
    Two Foot Sideways
    Icky Shuffle
    Backwards Icky Shuffle
    In and Out
    SL In and Out
    Lateral In and Out
    Crossover
    Foot Exchange
    Reverse Crossover
    Hip Twist
    Carioca
    Two Footed Hop
    One Footed Hop
    Two Forward One Back

Leg Workout
    4x20 Split Squat
    4x20 Shrimp Squat
    4x20 Single Leg Bridge
    3 Minute Wall Sit
    20 minutes of running
  • MikePfirrman
    One hour of really light stuff today. 30 on the LateralX and 30 on the AD Pro (Assault Bike) followed by a lower back stretch. Will likely do a short yoga workout later on for the back as well.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I just joined Row House last month so I did their Signature Class this morning. It's like Soul Cycle but with rowing machines. I really love it, despite the high price tag.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    rupshaw wrote: »
    2 mile run at 24 degrees...BRRR!

Where do you live? It's like running in a clothes dryer here during this time of year.
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Ran round the track last night for a change - hot in the uk here so much needed cool down shower afterwards - hopefully do online intervals at lunchtime

milz6w2lzauj.png
    ei8wcoynyhrf.jpeg
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    10 minutes jump rope
    5 minutes of burpees
    4x20 Cross Reach Sit-Ups
    4x20 Dead Bug
    4x20 L-Sit Ups
    4x20 Knee-ins & Twist
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Today's a welcome "active rest day" in a month thus far focused on upper body work.

I did a 30 min combo of stair climbing and lunges before work.

Happened to talk to my mother (who owns a gym and does private training) a few moments ago. She's between clients and using her "free" 45 min to run sprints on the Olympic track...to prep for leading her bootcamp group tomorrow.

🙁

She's in her early 60s. I really thought I was doing something with my day until we spoke lol
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 109 Member
    Barbell squats, bench press, bent over barbell row, leg extensions, planks and then ran a few miles. It's good to be back in the gym finally.
  • alexmose
    Full body routine with squats, bench, pull-up, hip thrust, calves, biceps and triceps. will walk a bit too.
  • MikePfirrman
    40 minutes of cardio today. Just a bit harder than yesterday but still pretty light stuff.

Got my new Plank Board in. It's called "Stealth". It's a plank board with a phone app that you put on your phone and play games as you plank. I learned I can't hold a plank for 3 solid minutes real quick! 90 seconds or so is my limit right now. The wife thought it was fun too, so an added bonus.
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Did online intervals at lunchtime then biceps thus evening:

Barbell curls
    Decline outwards dumbell curls
    Incline bench dumbell spider curls
    TRX triset - alternating cross body curls (upper/middle/lower)
    Supaset: bent over hammer grip dumbell curls/bent over hammer grip resistance band curls
    Supaset: close grip barbell curl/close grip resistance band curl
    Supaset: benched bent over kneeling dumbell curls/high anchored resistance band curl x6nihswzvqi9.jpeg