Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,994 Member
    Options
    I didn't click disagree either - but I do disagree that the fact that prescription med's can have side effects and these are listed for the public to know about, is scary stuff.

No, it isn't - it is just the obvious reality that medication can have side effects.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    We had a pretty strong WFH culture even before covid and everyone has always been allowed to work from home whenever they wanted unless there were in-person meetings, so this is not such a drastic change.

We had NO work from home before Covid. It was not allowed except in very VERY select situations (I was allowed to work from home the day after my father died as I prepared to go out of state to deal with it for example). But those were so rare. We did a WFH test about 2 years ago and it went great, but we had so much push back from higher ups that it was never made into a real thing. They thought it wouldn't "look good" that we were allowed to work from home.

How things have changed. Not the way I wanted for WFH to be approved, but we got it. Due to changes needed at the main campus, we are losing a floor and going from 3 floors to 2 (another group needs more space). So many of us are now in permanent WFH positions, myself included. I enjoy the freedom of it but I do miss some of the interactions with my coworkers. We have a great team and it was fun to be around them. So I feel much more isolated. Feedback has also been a problem because I can't just swing by my bosses office with a question or concern. They are still very receptive to everyone, but it's just not the same. There is more of a disconnect.

Do you guys use microsoft teams? Jabber is also an option we've used in the past. Plus regular check ins (we have a 15 minute meeting every Monday morning for instance, biweekly huddles, monthly meetings with our team lead and the boss etc). I've worked from home for 8 years now so this isn't new but having Jabber and then now Microsoft teams is awesome. I can pop a question to whoever I want, we can exchange messages and gifs and it has practically unlimited numbers of groups or chats you can belong too. It helps keep the team close even though we are spread out all over the US.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Side effects from any possible vaccine is only one factor; how fast can they tell if it even works? Why go through risks of having side effects if it's not even going to work. :( Plus it just gives people a false sense of security and false hope, saying they've got a vaccine close to development.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    My company just announced that all in US and several other countries that can will work remotely until at least January, 2021, extended from October, 2020.

Getting sick of this stuff.

I wish I could have worked from home forever. It was the best thing ever (for me). I am really surprised some people want to go into work. I prefer to stay in my pjs all day.

In my workplace it seems to be divided: those with bigger homes and good desks, chairs and dedicated study/work rooms want to continue WFH, especially if their kids are school-aged so they have to leave early to bring their kids to hobbies etc, or if their kids are old enough to have moved out. These people tend to be older, and are also more experienced in their field and therefore need less guidance from colleagues. Our younger people with smaller homes and less possibilities to get nice desks, distancing themselves from spouses who also work and have meetings online, or have daycare-aged kids that make working from home a struggle seem to prefer working at the office.

I'm in the latter group: being in the same room with my husband 24/7 for 3 months straight was pretty rough. Now I'm leaning into a hybrid model where I do some work from home and some from the office. Today I'm spending the morning at home, answering emails and messages, then going out for lunch and spending the afternoon in the office doing high-focus work with my properly set-up desk and external monitors.

Currently we have a WFH recommendation in place until further notice, meaning everyone is allowed to choose for themselves but all meetings must be held online so nobody has to come in. The amount of people at the office seems to be 1-5 per day, out of 25 people. We had a pretty strong WFH culture even before covid and everyone has always been allowed to work from home whenever they wanted unless there were in-person meetings, so this is not such a drastic change.

My OH and I live in the home he grew up in. I'm sure it felt much smaller then, when there were 4 of them and the basement was less finished. Now, there are just the two of us. My office is a former bedroom and his is in the basement.

However, I did get a used computer desk for $100 from Craigslist and a fabulous office chair for free. My company provided my desktop and two monitors (years ago; unrelated to the coronavirus.)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I didn't click disagree either - but I do disagree that the fact that prescription med's can have side effects and these are listed for the public to know about, is scary stuff.

No, it isn't - it is just the obvious reality that medication can have side effects.

That’s not what I meant. It’s scary that they are rushing the vaccine through. Prescription drugs follow guidelines before they are able to prescribe them to the general public. Still there are risks to some people. It takes years, not months. It’s up to each of us to discuss with our doctors potential risks involved with prescription drugs they want to prescribe for us. Educate ourselves.

It’s scary that they are trying to push a vaccine through so quickly with no long term possible effects. There is something to say for safely proceeding.

Why do you think that the US is one of only two countries that allow tv advertising of prescription drugs? The almighty dollar!!! We pay a lot more for everything related to healthcare than any other country by a lot.

As I posted earlier, there are reasons why this trial may go faster than some others, and still have the same safety values. This disease is widespread, and very contagious. That means that more trial participants are explosed to the virus, and more likely to get it when exposed vs. things that are less common/contagious. That will contribute to faster trials (the statistically-required results accumulate faster). There are *unprecendented* levels of cooperation among organizations worldwide, such as lab/trial/manufacturing infrastructure being shared across organizations in unusual ways, because of the urgency. Much money is being directed to vaccines and trials because of the urgency, not the case for smaller spread/risk diseases. Researchers are highly motivated, whether by desired to be of service, or by recognition that if they make major breakthroughs, those will be much more visible than usual inside and outside their profession, so better chances of rewards (more prestigious jobs, more research funding in future, etc.)

There are legit reasons these trials could go faster than other trials, even if no one were taking dangerous shortcuts.

I'm not saying there's no political pressure on the vaccine developers or approvers, nor am I saying that I think for sure that pressure's having no effect (rushing things). But I think it's important to understand the process, and consider what's happening in an informed context.

I think the people who are concerned that vaccines are being rushed should consider being somewhat reasssured that this whole trial of the Astra Zeneca vaccine has been put on hold, for *one* case of a serious incident in a participant that may or not be related to the vaccine, in the UK (but the trial elsewhere is also on hold, not just in the UK.) This is a sign of *caution* happening. (I'm not 100% reassured, but will be interested to see how this whole case plays out, and what effect it has on the trial - that will be informative.)

(I didn't click disagree on your PPs about this point, either, BTW.)

I kind of think you’re calling me uninformed. I DO understand the urgency, but, months vs years? With little consideration for erring on the side of caution. I do understand it’s one case, and they did the right thing by suspendIng testing, but, if it does end up tied to the vaccine, it’s a pretty serious side effect. I would hope that volunteers to take the vaccine are screened for preexisting conditions. Seems like that would be common sense.

It is a very political topic, and really shouldn’t be.

In comparison, the polio vaccine took decades to be developed. I’m old enough to remember lining up at school for polio vaccinations, and later the oral form.

I’ll bow to your better informed knowledge on finding a safe vaccine, is important and could have repercussions for years to come.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    kushiel1 wrote: »

Do you guys use microsoft teams? Jabber is also an option we've used in the past. Plus regular check ins (we have a 15 minute meeting every Monday morning for instance, biweekly huddles, monthly meetings with our team lead and the boss etc). I've worked from home for 8 years now so this isn't new but having Jabber and then now Microsoft teams is awesome. I can pop a question to whoever I want, we can exchange messages and gifs and it has practically unlimited numbers of groups or chats you can belong too. It helps keep the team close even though we are spread out all over the US.

We do use Teams. I have a monthly check in with my boss plus he is always available if I need to speak to him (maybe not right that second but that is no different... meetings stink haha). It's just not the same to me. I know that may sound silly and odd. Maybe it's because this is not what I am used to when it comes to working and now I am trying to adjust to it being the new normal.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My company just announced that all in US and several other countries that can will work remotely until at least January, 2021, extended from October, 2020.

Getting sick of this stuff.

I wish I could have worked from home forever. It was the best thing ever (for me). I am really surprised some people want to go into work. I prefer to stay in my pjs all day.

Interesting. I personally enjoy the in person interactions with co-workers and have never "gone to work" at home with out showering and getting dressed (gym shorts/sweats and t-shirt not typical office attire).

Each to their own.

Same here. I miss being in the office daily because I like the interactions -- more spontaneous and in person -- with co-workers, and I also miss being downtown vs in my house. (I actually do have a decent sized house with an office, too, but there are still things easier to do from the office.) I don't think I could manage working from home at all if I didn't have a routine, which includes showering and dressing. I dress way more casually than I did for the office, but when I go into the office these days, the same is true. (No one is required to be in the office, one signs up if one wants to be in, and so far there are never too many people -- it's limited by percentage, and easier for those of us with private offices.) It is nice to have the time back I spent commuting, but in some ways I even miss the commute a bit -- I have a somewhat long walk to the L, so that was steps I now have to schedule in, and I read books or did Duolingo on the L. But it's really mostly that what I value about my job in part is it being collaborative, I am in someone who prefers in-person to stuff like phone or Zoom.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Some folks are very optimistic about the vaccines and some (I think) at this point are on the edge and just want some positive news to hold on to. I can understand that. I think all of us are ready for more positive news.

There's a podcast called Left, Right, and Center I sometimes listen to (hope that's non partisan enough!) and that I listened to recently because they were discussing the experiment in reopening at UIUC with the rapid tests and 2 tests/week requirement, that I am interested in. Like most schools, they've had some pitfalls early on due to not adequately anticipating stuff like partying -- apparently they thought people who tested positive would quarantine voluntarily and some went to parties, among other things. However, the rapid test model still seems really encouraging as an option to me, and I will continue to follow what happens. Anyway, the guest who was reporting on the UIUC and rapid test experiment was also asked about vaccine timing, and she didn't think it was going to be soon (at least vs what some have claimed).

It was an interesting discussion.