WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Tracey Sorry about your friend's DH and the blocked bowel. My bestie had that 25 years ago and finally had surgery to untwist her intestines. It was painful sitting with her for 2 weeks seeing all the tubes used to try and clear the blockage, but it was an actually twist like the long ballons that you make animal shapes with. She was kept doped up as much as possible. She kept pulling the tubes out even under heavy sedation. A hernia in the small intestine doesn't sound good, but much better than a tumor. Hopefully, they can use minimally invasive surgery and he will heal fast.

Michele So glad you have a love for handmade things. I used to love making little wagons from mill ends with wheels turned on my small lathe with a braided hay twine pull rope. I made these one Christmas in the late '70s for all of my friend's kids and they loved them. Now kids have no appreciation for such. I made a lot of jewelry boxes and did paintings for friends, a few of which still exist today, but are stored away in closets or storage sheds. I wish they would give them back if they have no interest in using them or displaying.

Debbie Hard water-washed and line dried clothes can be rough. When I was in the mountains with hard water, I used a softener and that helped, and also there was almost always a breeze blowing that softened them on the line.

Allie Not sure where you live, but it seems respiratory problems are bad everywhere this year especially in the west. Good idea to get tested if that is a worry for you. The lack of fever a few days after the first symptoms is a good sign, but there are other respiratory problems that may need addressing. Better to nip problems in the bud. Hope you find relief soon.

M in Oz I used to do that with my sportswear after hang drying in the winter. The blowing warm furnace air really softened them up.

XO Fae old Gorge girl

My new swim top with macrame back
    z5v3ltvqdxw2.jpg

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Lisa – So glad to see your post!!! :heart:

Evie - I love your owl. It is a masterpiece & your color choices are wonderful. :bigsmile:

Chezzac17 - Welcome! :star:

Fae - The photo of the goose family is great! :bigsmile:

Mrsbfe – Advice is so often unwelcome, but I’ll share what works for me. The good ideas, support and friendship here is empowering. Portion control is one important key to losing weight and maintaining your goals. Exercise is the other. When I started here I bought restaurant grade dishers in quarter, third, and half cup sizes. (They look like ice cream scoops.) They make it easy to put a known portion of food on my plate. I also bought a food scale and weighed my food for a long time. I seldom use the food scale any more but use the dishers daily. The dishes were far more expensive than the food scale, but they make portion control easy. :star:

I noticed a seldom used, “like new” bra in my dresser drawer and realized that it was purchased by a much plumper me several years back. I’m planning to donate it to the free clothing box in our town. I donated shoes there in the recent past, and this seems like a good thing to do.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    edited October 2020
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    @deadenddiva I still have my thyroid but I do take levothyroxine, although I've been taking it for decades so I'm probably not much help.

I'm tired of only seeing young, fit, and attractive photographs of people on the MFP blogs and exercise articles. What other resources do you use for "normal" women our age?

Feeling a bit whiny today

I hear what you’re saying but in the other side It took work for them to get there. I was getting that a lot . Being a 61 tr old and being thought oh as one or f those skinny b$&@tches. Once I explain where I was and it takes rime and continual effort to get there, they can too. People just want to be thin NOW, it doesn’t work that way. It would help if they had bigger people showing exercises, true. Keep at it, we r here for you.

I really haven’t needed to be on mfp for a few years now, I’m at the maintaining mode now. I don’t need to b here for support or to count my calorie intake because I’ve gotten pretty good at it now. I’m just here just because, no real reason. I don’t comment much except for posting my exercise stats for the day.

Having a thyroid issue I’m sure doesn’t help. As tour doc or see a nutritionist. Then if u r going through menopause, that’s another thing. I am going through it but I am not experiencing the weight gain like other people are taking about... not taking any hormone pills. Maybe it’s because I’m still as active as I was before, I dunno
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Barbara Yes, several I wish I could forget. I left out the worst ones.

MrsBfe Welcome and I still struggle with body image but this thread is helping be more accepting of myself. Yes, this thread moves like a wind-driven wildfire. Yes, online sites do love to show only attractive young people. I like blogs with before and after photos. I find it sad we fit in advanced years are not considered worthy of recognition for our hard work and dedication and contributions to fitness. It is about what brings in the money.

Chezz No permission necessary! Just join in and let us get to know you. First names or nicknames and general location is appreciated.

Evelyn The owl is awesome! I love the coloring and the vibe! Well done!

Lisa Yes, let us know! Feeling bad for such a long length of time is very stressful! Hope you get back your energy very soon.

Katla How is the weather downriver? Is the pup posterior all healed yet?

Margaret How is fall treating you?

Peach I feel silly for getting your name. I am trying hard at least to get the regulars in my memory without looking at a back signed post. I am glad when some don't sign every post because it helps increase my memory. OK, now it came to me, Carol. Whew! I was worried about my memory after being on here for over 3 months.

Heather Your house photos are lovely and what a great thing not to have a mortage. I hope fall weather brings a middle ground meeting point between you and lizard man on temperature issues.

Karen How great to have that mortgage off your back.

Fae thinking about wearing a skirt walking this morning, but afraid this wind whistling through the gorge might blow it up

hz6qgjwxnzva.jpg
  • smrshealthy
    smrshealthy Posts: 237 Member
    Good Morning all

Thank you for the Welcomes @Machka9 and @auntiebk!

Smr\ CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Did a body pump video today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Step by Step DVD

Woooo…check me out…I have a whopping 5 day streak according to MFP!!!!! It’s getting amusing to watch my streak

Debbie
    – I like everything line dried except for towels. You’re right, they are scratchy. That’s why I never put my towels on the line

Tracey – (((HUG)))

Allie – hope you feel better fast

Lisa
    – thanks for popping in. Can’t wait till you can come on a regular basis. Take care, girlfriend

Evelyn
    – great painting

Chezzac – we’re so glad you’re here! Welcome!

Fae – couldn’t have said it better why this group is so great. Allie lives in CT

Senior bowling in a few

Michele NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Have these DVD's that I'd be willing to sell for the price of the postage (which in the US is typically around $3)

Rodney Yee Daily Yoga
    Leslie Sansone WATP Walk and Kick
    Work It Off Cardio Sculpt with Tracy York and Michelle Dozois
    Kathy Smith Power Walk for Weight Loss

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,928 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a body pump video today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Step by Step DVD

Woooo…check me out…I have a whopping 5 day streak according to MFP!!!!! It’s getting amusing to watch my streak

Debbie
    – I like everything line dried except for towels. You’re right, they are scratchy. That’s why I never put my towels on the line

Tracey – (((HUG)))

Allie – hope you feel better fast

Lisa
    – thanks for popping in. Can’t wait till you can come on a regular basis. Take care, girlfriend

Evelyn
    – great painting

Chezzac – we’re so glad you’re here! Welcome!

Fae – couldn’t have said it better why this group is so great. Allie lives in CT

Senior bowling in a few

Michele NC

I am so picky about clothes, I wouldn't even wear a t-shirt or socks that were line dried.
    Instead of sheets, I have been using the fleece blankets from Kohl's(the ones they have on an amazing sale every Black Friday for like $8 instead of $40!!!). One underme and one or two over me. When we do use sheets they have to be brushed cotton or flannel that is soft, no rough spots at all.
  • pipcd34
    Yogi is at his 1st vet visit in California. #71.2 lbs even with all his exercise!! Gotta lower his food intake to get him back to 65.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    I am feeling a bit better but will still have a virtual drs appt this afternoon...
    Just to go over stuff.i did do some picking up and get some things out of the condo..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,188 Member
    Fae - my lizard husband is truly reptile. In the cold weather he suffers horribly from cold hands. He hates the cold. I get my own back. >:) I nearly always have warm hands. :D

Delicious goat and sweetcorn curry tonight. Broccoli. Yummo!

Looking forward to seeing my old school friend Gwendolen tomorrow. It looks fine enough for us to be able to eat lunch outside at Fatto a Mano. I am so grateful she takes the trouble to come all the way on the train to see me. <3 I am blessed.
    Got to negotiate a suitable easy dinner with DH. I think my original idea is too complicated for a last minute thing. Hoping fish soup will fit the bill. Maybe a green salad. He loves his greenery. :D

Love to all. Did 950 exercise calories today. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Fae - my lizard husband is truly reptile. In the cold weather he suffers horribly from cold hands. He hates the cold. I get my own back. >:) I nearly always have warm hands. :D

Looking forward to seeing my old school friend Gwendolen tomorrow. It looks fine enough for us to be able to eat lunch outside at Fatto a Mano. I am so grateful she takes the trouble to come all the way on the train to see me. <3 I am blessed.
    Got to negotiate a suitable easy dinner with DH. I think my original idea is too complicated for a last minute thing. Hoping fish soup will fit the bill. Maybe a green salad. He loves his greenery. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Fall along the river
    kfcommr58ne6.jpg

When this one is worn out I'm done wearing swim bras
    Signed and affirmed this day 10/19/2020 Faetta

Front and back of my final forever swim beach bra
    u4yjfe63brb2.jpg8v5knx9gje15.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Fae- It is cloudy but no rain at the moment here in Halloween Town. It isn’t actively raining, but our deck is damp. Air quality is 10AQI. The site says it is good. :wink: The dog is doing very well. His cancer is gone, and we’re weaning him off of his pain meds. yesterday he got 1/2 a pill, down from 2 daily before his surgery. :heart:

Pip- Yogi is beautiful. I’m sure you’ll be able to help him take off extra pounds. Our neighbor gave us a sack of diet dog kibble. Her dog wouldn’t eat it. Ours won’t either. I’ll either donate it to the humane society or throw it in the garbage. :ohwell:

Heather- Congrats on 950 exercise calories! WTG!!! :star:

I miss my yoga class more than I can say. There is an evening class available, but I prefer mornings and that is not currently available. What is available and doable is riding my terra-tryke on its trainer in the garage. I am able to read books while I ride. I can’t do that safely on the streets and I don’t mind staying in the garage at all. :bigsmile:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    Katla - 900 is my daily minimum. With the amount I eat I have to burn so many. ;) I only manage to maintain on that and I am maintaining on too high a number. :/

Sorry about the repeat post. MFP decided to go down at that moment and I kept pressing the button. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Fae- It is cloudy but no rain at the moment here in Halloween Town. It isn’t actively raining, but our deck is damp. Air quality is 10AQI. The site says it is good. :wink: The dog is doing very well. His cancer is gone, and we’re weaning him off of his pain meds. yesterday he got 1/2 a pill, down from 2 daily before his surgery. :heart:

Pip- Yogi is beautiful. I’m sure you’ll be able to help him take off extra pounds. Our neighbor gave us a sack of diet dog kibble. Her dog wouldn’t eat it. Ours won’t either. I’ll either donate it to the humane society or throw it in the garbage. :ohwell:

Heather- Congrats on 950 exercise calories! WTG!!! :star:

I miss my yoga class more than I can say. There is an evening class available, but I prefer mornings and that is not currently available. What is available and doable is riding my terra-tryke on its trainer in the garage. I am able to read books while I ride. I can’t do that safely on the streets and I don’t mind staying in the garage at all. :bigsmile:

Katla in NW Oregon

Donate it
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,780 Member
    <3