Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,967 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s

[
    Fae sorry I missed you back in the day! My hippie stomping grounds were the East Bay area and the Russian River. Finger pianos, now I hadn’t thought of them in decades ;)
    [ if you liked Touched by an Angel, try to find Signed, Sealed, Delivered on the Hallmark channel. https://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/signed-sealed-delivered/about
    [
    ccil39rc20uq.jpg
    Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh: 20, steps>5491=6063 vits=21 log=21 CI<CO=20 CI<250<CO=17 Tumble & Shadow 5=21 mfp=21 outside=19 up hill=19
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=14 play= sew=0

I have great memories of the Russian River also!! I learned to swim in it(swimming lessons each summer at Memorial Beach) That was the only place I went swimming really with the exception to the creek behind our property and to go wading in the ocean at Little River. I am pretty sure you are talking about the part of the river closer to the ocean, like in Guerneville and Cazadero. It is so beautiful over there. I have spent many weeks at Cazadero at the Baptist camp- even got "sheltered in place" there last year because of the fires. It is so peaceful over there. East bay is close to us.
    I will have to check out that show- we have Hallmark but haven't seen it yet.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    I still do Facebook because I am part of Grow with Care a gardening group, the Arboretum, Missouri Botanical Garden, One of my friends post funny comics, another bouquets from her garden, Moonpie about a dachshund that makes me laugh. I hide anyone who gets too political. I post flower and nature pictures and share any posts that made me laugh. So for me Facebook lifts my spirit.

Yesterday there was a cute one with a toddler who was trying to put a straw into a cup with a lid with a small straw hole. After a couple of tries she threw her cup out of frustration. The title was patience in action. I knew just how she felt with over 5 inches of snow so early this year, losing our power, and then our internet. Yes it was time for me to throw the cup too! It made me laugh at myself which is what I needed to do. Yes that one I did pass along in a share with friends.

Fae there are dogs out there that are more hypoallergenic. Anything with poodle, bichon frise are two such examples. As it turns out Drew with her greyhound fur is another good choice. There are many other breeds that fit the bill too!

I also still do Facebook- more than I should I am sure but that is my way of staying in touch with old friends/classmates and family. It has been great reconnecting with old classmates I haven't seen in 40yrs. I was very shy in school so many I never talked to but over the years, being in charge of the reunions I have gotten to know them as adults- the cliques are pretty much gone. We were all looking forward to getting together but that was postponed, sadly found out on FB that we lost another classmate-heard he went in for standard rotater (sp?) cuff surgery, cardiac arrest on the table and they couldn't save him. 58yrs old. I chat on messenger with friends on there daily. I talk to them more online than I talk to people in real life. Helps with the lonelyness.
    As for political posts- pass right over them.
    Get a laugh at all the unsolicited "friend requests" from foreign guys- NOPE, not going to respond to that!!

I was going to suggest to Fae the same thing.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Top of the morning, peeps! It's Thursday here.

I am so grateful for my "walking neighbor" - we are each other's therapists, lol. I couldn't have been blessed with a better person to spend an hour or so with each day, plus burn a few calories at the same time. She's going to be gone most of next week and I miss her already.

That's it for now. Doggies wanting out. It's frosty out there.

Make it a good day, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I feel the same way about my neighbor/friend- Getting out of the house and walking/talking for an hour the past few days has been great. We didn't see much of each other for quite a long time but are back getting out again- she is my Zumba buddy(she invited me and it was great until they closed down-we both stopped exercising when it did)
    Debbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    After talking with a friend last night I decided to make candy bags for the children who I know that live around here and at son's house. I have these bags that are cats and can be used as a puppet. I got them when I was teaching. I will bring in some of my decorations and have the lights out so we do not get the big groups and drives in to the neighborhood of people we don't know. As I said we get 80-100 kids coming through. One year my last trick or treater was a young man who was in high school no costume! It will be nice to take a break this year because I literally have to sit by the door for three hours getting up and down constantly and having sometimes groups of ten. In these times of Covid not safe. Our state is now one of the hot spots too!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Margaret

We have lived in this house for over 20 years and have never had trick or treaters show up. I think it may be because the side walk is across the street and they won't cross the street to get over here.

Allie

Glad to hear your test result was negative. I don't think Jean will be pushing you out of your job cause she depends on you more than you will ever realize.

Fae

From all you have told us about your life, it must have been a VERY interesting one. The log cabin, the jobs,the traveling!

Amber

Glad you checked in!

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,243 Member
    Options
    In Brighton and Hove the accepted thing is to put a lighted pumpkin outside if you want callers. Otherwise people don't knock.
    I don't know what the kids are doing this year. They may just stick to families they know.
    We could put some pumpkin lights up and put a bowl of sweets outside. The kids are so polite around here, I have to tell them to take more than one. :o I think we will probably just hide and turn the front lights off.

Debbie - we had a great year reunion last year. Amazing to see everyone. I am in very close touch with three from school and Zoom them fortnightly. Otherwise it is occasional emails to a few and Christmas cards, with the rare meet up. Nice to know they are there though.

Must do my tax tomorrow. Deadline 31st October.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Amber! ... Great to see post! JR is certainly getting bigger. Hope he gets the hang of potty training soon!

Fae and Annie ... Your photo is indeed a Portugese Water Dog! Most are black with white on their chest, but I have seen the brown colored as well. I owned a Portugese Water Dog back in 1994, a female that was part of a test litter (DNA testing not available on the breed at that time) that was the offspring of what would become the sire for President Obama's Portugese Water Dog. They are hypoallergenic, do not shed (but need groomed) great people dogs, and herder's by nature.

Facebook ... I participate with one fasting group and the rest just seems to be me and various advertisements. I've unfollowed everyone for a lot of the same reasons Rebecca mentioned earlier today. I don't miss knowing about others at all.

Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tracey- The comments about facebook nudged me into checking in. It was much more pleasant than I’d expected. I suppose I’ll check in there once in a while. :star:

Margaret- We rarely have trick-or-treaters but I have bought candy just in case. We have one younger family and they have a young daughter. Other than that, we’re all 50+. :ohwell:

Allie- Good news on your test results!!! :star: I agree with Peach. Jean needs you. :flowerforyou:

Lanette- I used to walk with my neighbor and enjoyed it tremendously, however her health has become problematic and she isn’t available to walk any more. :sad:

Heather- In our area the welcome signal for trick or treaters is having the porch light on. If it is on, they are welcome to ring the bell. If it is off, they stay away. :star:

I’ve run errands today and I am almost done. YAY!!! We are waiting for a delivery of pants we ordered to replace some of my worn out ones. They’re supposed to be here today. I hope they get here.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,719 Member
    Options
    I have to wait a month for a physical .so i wait..took my daughter out for lunch ,we dont get much time together it was so nice...
    We each had a glass of reisling with lunch,and ol Allie had to come home and take a nap ..
    Now just watching thr Waltons..
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Okie – how’s your husband feeling now?

Michele NC

He was fine the day after surgery. No issues at all. Thanks for asking!

Okie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    After talking with a friend last night I decided to make candy bags for the children who I know that live around here and at son's house. I have these bags that are cats and can be used as a puppet. I got them when I was teaching. I will bring in some of my decorations and have the lights out so we do not get the big groups and drives in to the neighborhood of people we don't know. As I said we get 80-100 kids coming through. One year my last trick or treater was a young man who was in high school no costume! It will be nice to take a break this year because I literally have to sit by the door for three hours getting up and down constantly and having sometimes groups of ten. In these times of Covid not safe. Our state is now one of the hot spots too!

I used to love having the trick or treaters come to the house- After a few years with way too many of the teen agers that were not in costume and very rude, I was done with it. I used to love the little ones all dressed up. I even had a couple try and "trick " me- I peeked through the peep hole in the door and saw that these two very big black young men crouching down, ready to scare me when I opened the door. What they didn't know was I had my big dog with me. She was very friendly but was a great watch dog. I opened the door(security screen door double locked)- Brittany lunged at the screen and those two guys took off so fast running and screaming out of the yard.
    We did Trunk or Treat at church a few years. Skipping that this year as it is only one hour, on Friday instead of Saturday and haven't been IN church for a few months. Planning on going that Sunday. If I feel comfortable(I will be wearing my mask even though most others are not)if not, will stay home for a while longer.

Debbie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Lanette Regarding life these days How about the 1988 novel made into a mini-series 2014 called "The Last Ship"?
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    JRs in sz 7 clothes now so yes growing so hard to log in to check yahoo mail holding him lol 😂

Amber Tx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,356 Member
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »
    Lanette Regarding life these days How about the 1988 novel made into a mini-series 2014 called "The Last Ship"?

Fae - I think I watched the first season of "The Last Ship" - will see if it's still available and add it to my list. Thanks for the reminder!

Lanette
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Our provincial government has introduced some guidelines for trick or treater's this year. No leaving bowls of candy out for them to help themselves. Children are advised to knock only, not ring door bells and must be masked with proper masks. The person handing out the treats are to hand sanitize before handing to each family, no large groups and should also be masked.

My daughter and her best friend are having a scavenger hunt for treats in the backyard of one of their houses followed by a scary movie. Since the little girls are 4 and 1, their scary movie will be COCO, my grandson will be allowed to stay up late and watch a bit scarier movie with the adults. Probably Goosebumps or something.

I haven't decided yet if I will hand anything out yet. I think I'll decide closer to the date.

I am dressing up as a scarecrow for work on the 30th to brighten the day for the residents.

Tracey
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 thanks for your understanding. glad all testing is free.

@Suzi glad you are enjoying the busyness of work. I'm so sorry about your molar. Why do they think they had more broken teeth this year?
    thanks for your understanding. I like working at this place (I like the student population very much for the most part) but I did think about quitting for a moment. the management is very suave and smiley but pretty horrible in terms of worker's rights. it's a horrible time to look for work. At 57 it's not so easy. I have 3 jobs that don't pay well, but are rather secure, relatively speaking.

is there any of you who are not fans of your family of origin.
    I used to find mine OKAY.
    now I just don't like to hear from them.

I know that sounds cold, but it's after years of meanness on their side.
    I feel bad when they contact me.
    and over years with less and less contact, I don't even feel much concerned about them. an aunt passed away. we used to stay with them for a week in summers as kids (granted, 40+ years ago) as they would trade off kids for a week or two every year, no doubt to have some adult time or down time. but even then she was not warm, though not particularly mean. but seing her maybe 1h every 10 years does not a relationship make.

and my sister NEVER gets in touch except maybe every few years when really going through something difficult. she'll call, when there is a natural disaster or something.

it's hard for me to feel anything when there is simply no real connection and not simple pleasantness.

I don't know that bloodline is that important. I used to think so, or more precisely I felt bound by our past experience which was at least partly pleasant, (growing up playing) but at present they just seem like a bad past friend I need to keep as far away from me as possible. they were possibly a good friend in the past, but are not anymore.

it is wise to look at what is and not what was.

it's sad, but I think it's better to get space and be a bit lonely than to be with people who are regularly mean.

what a horrible choice to have to make.
    I still have some colleagues who are very nice and some friends too. I don't see them or talk to them each every day, but nor to I family.

I think life happens when just doing things. And with colleagues just interacting with on another regularly we discover one another. some who were formal and distant some years ago, we speak together with more warmth and trust as time goes by.

one of my colleagues yelled at me today and I asked her to speak calmly or said I'd come back in 5 minutes, so she was able to calm down and talk things out. I was glad to be able to just say that and she was able to hear it and calm down. she thought I was blaming her but in fact I was upset about something else. (a coordinating teacher had intentionally kept me in the dark about something and that had an impact on my class and day). I don't her on the contrary I thought she was kind. and she said (still a bit annoyed but calming down) she was glad I said that because she is kind, which is true. it was very real.

I feel easily annoyed today. it hits me in my heart.

I took some CBD oil. it doesn't hurt.
    a neighbour says his nephew is selling CBD oil and delivering it online during lockdown and grossed between 3000 and 12000 per day. much better than teaching!

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »

Fae - I think I watched the first season of "The Last Ship" - will see if it's still available and add it to my list. Thanks for the reminder!

Lanette

Lanette Last Ship ended kind of weak IMO. Have you watched "Outbreak" from 1995 or so?