What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    tams_89 wrote: »
    I love my Grandad but he makes me so angry. I don't agree with any of his behaviour or beliefs. We are not talking at the moment and it hurts but I can't have my children be around all the negative behaviour. 😔

I have this problem with my dad. He doesn't realize how hurtful he can be sometimes, and he can be quite racist and intolerant. Plus my youngest has cut off all her hair and he just won't stop telling her how she should grow her hair and go back to being his blonde little princess...

It's really hard because you want them to have a relationship with these family members, who may not be around for much longer, but you also don't want to expose them to toxic behaviour. I feel your pain.

It's sad

My Grandad is racist and my children are mixed race. I have to put them first but it does hurt not having a good relationship with my grandparents anymore.

My dad is a homophobe, and my mom is a very devout Christian... my youngest child is starting to come out, and it's very scary because they are already struggling with wrapping their head around what they feel inside... they don't need my parents hurting them or shaming them in any way. We've decided not to tell my parents just yet, but they can say things that are quite obnoxious without realizing it.

In the end, we have to do what is best for our kids, realizing that few memories are better than bad memories. *hugs*
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    CacoEther wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    And then I ran over a squirrel on the way to the hospital this a.m. :(
    So far I've not shed a tear during the past week of stress and emotions but that almost did me in.

I caught a mouse by the leg in a trap, and it was alive and wounded. I took it outside and let it go, and its poor little leg was so hurt... But I just couldn't kill it. So I left it there and came inside and cried like a baby. Feeling like an *kitten* for leaving it alive and feeling like an *kitten* in general.

Sigh.

Who's up for drinks?

This sort of thing kills me. I cried when I swatted a moth once and it didn’t die. I couldn’t stop thinking about the way it flailed around. So that’s why in our house if we see a spider or something walkin around, we just leave homeboy alone

Me too. Very few things will I take a swatter to inside the house, hornets and wasps are one(okay 2). Everything else I leave alone. But mice I do trap, only because of the damage they can do and the germs. :( But I hate it, I really do. I always apologize as I put them in the trash. And after yesterday's squirrel event, I am still feeling so sad and like a murderer. :( Every single time I drive by I relive running over it and turning it into roadkill. :(
    That's the 3rd time in my life that I've killed something with a car, the 1st was a bird while I was skipping high school 1 afternoon. Figured it was my payback. Then when dh and started going out, I backed over their cat :(. I never knew til I saw him the next time. I was horrified. :( The cat was little and deaf. :( Then yesterday. :(
    I absolutely hate it.
    A few years back I had a family of cute little red squirrels living in my walls; I ended up live-trapping them all and re-homing them far away.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I got over a lot of squeamishness about mice growing up, because we had fields on three sides of us, and so when they harvested every year and the weather got cold, we had mice.

We also had a cat, who liked to catch the mice and field dress them and leave them in front of the stove.
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Releasing them injured is probably less humane than just dispatching them immediately.

Catch and release reminds me me of these videos...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyQipO4miw
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    Releasing them injured is probably less humane than just dispatching them immediately.

Aww that might be the perfect man right there 😍
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    Options

his heart was in the right place.
  • CacoEther
    Options
    MiNinaLisa wrote: »

I think you learn everything you need to know about a person by how they treat animals ❤️
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options

I know this... I really do, but I just couldn't do it. That's why I cried as hard as I did.
  • Wanderwoman2021
    Wanderwoman2021 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I think you learn everything you need to know about a person by how they treat animals ❤️

I go off how the animals behave towards them lol
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options

I go off how the animals behave towards them lol

😁😁
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    6r8d5v03my18.gif
  • CacoEther
    Options
    6r8d5v03my18.gif

Aww why is no one helping?
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Jeez it looks like they bounced their head off the floor.
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    6r8d5v03my18.gif

Aww why is no one helping?

I just realized that posting this video without explaining makes me look like a Jerk! 😐 If the situation would be real, I definitely wouldn't laugh or post it so others can laugh at it either. It's actually a prank, he goes in a bunch of stores and does the same thing. It's a longer video but I made it into a Gif.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I love my Grandad but he makes me so angry. I don't agree with any of his behaviour or beliefs. We are not talking at the moment and it hurts but I can't have my children be around all the negative behaviour. 😔

I have this problem with my dad. He doesn't realize how hurtful he can be sometimes, and he can be quite racist and intolerant. Plus my youngest has cut off all her hair and he just won't stop telling her how she should grow her hair and go back to being his blonde little princess...

It's really hard because you want them to have a relationship with these family members, who may not be around for much longer, but you also don't want to expose them to toxic behaviour. I feel your pain.

I have similar issues with close family members, including my mother. She's racist, despite having friends who aren't white, thinks "brown people" are taking all the jobs away from Americans despite hiring them for things like her wedding cake, decorations, etc. (this was back in 2000). She's mellowed a lot, but honestly? Her adamant dislike of people who aren't white, who are poor (despite us never being affluent) is just... weird and makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

The only thing that helps is distance. I live in another state, so I see her maybe once a year and that's about all I could handle. Again, she has mellowed, but I know she still holds these beliefs. And unlike a casual acquaintance or friend, I don't feel like I could just cut her out of my life entirely. She does realize things in the world are changing and she's in her 70s now, but honestly it's exhausting dealing with it.

I also don't want her teaching any of those values to my son. I don't need her spreading those seeds of hatred and fear in him. As I've said, she's mellowed, but still holds onto some ideas and thoughts I'd rather not be spread, which makes talking to her for long periods of time difficult sometimes.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    How smashed do I need to be to have fun? That’s the question
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yoshiboobs wrote: »

Depends on what definitions we're using.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Quick Answer :

Not at all

Bruv thats the truth
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »

Depends on what definitions we're using.

Drunk. I just left the Halloween party that was basically a gay club in someone's house. Not really my scene but I'm trying to make an effort. 👽