Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ElioraFR wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Re Australia question Some people have second homes. They had to stay in one state if the borders were locked.
    There were some exemption for essential travellers, but going to a holiday home was not one of them.

Same for us, here in Italy, you could not go to vacation homes. People would check and report you (everyone knows which homes are vacation). Police stopped cars on the road, and you had to have permission for where you were going--work, humanitarian (helping an elderly relative), etc. This was during Lockdown last spring. We are going into another Lockdown. The numbers keep climbing. My husband's cousins are all down with COVID. Luckily we haven't seen them for over 3 weeks.

Way back in Mar., I was advocating for this here in the U.S. Most disagreed, but it has gotten out of hand here. I still think we need a total and complete shutdown for 3-4 weeks where only essential employees (healthcare and designated support) are allowed to leave. Under my vision then (and now), nobody else leaves home. Food, supplies, and medicine delivery would be done by people in full PPE and contactless (i.e. set order down at door and leave before person opens door). But nobody wanted to do that. They would rather have months or years of limited contact rather than weeks of zero contact.

To be honest though, isn't this pretty much what most of Europe did in in spring? An now it's coming back there hard.

I suspect if we had done this as well, it wouldn't be coming back in Europe. Where is it coming from? Is their second wave mostly or entirely organic? I would bet not.

Europe has pretty stringent travel restrictions since spring so most likely source is mainly organic

I struggle to imagine which European country you are speaking of. Travel restrictions have only been re announced in France last week. Wales closed boarders three weeks ago and I believe it was the first to do so this fall after all other countries opened last spring to tourism.

I believe the suggestion was that it was brought from the US, and my understanding is that most of Europe has closed borders with the US. I am aware that European countries have been open to each other and blaming each other -- I saw a funny English vs Spanish Twitter battle a month or so ago, with references to both the Armada and the history of public English tourist drunkenness in Spain.

That was exactly my point. Europe (with the exception of a select few counties they are allowing visitors from) is spreading it around internally.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Re Australia question Some people have second homes. They had to stay in one state if the borders were locked.
    There were some exemption for essential travellers, but going to a holiday home was not one of them.

Same for us, here in Italy, you could not go to vacation homes. People would check and report you (everyone knows which homes are vacation). Police stopped cars on the road, and you had to have permission for where you were going--work, humanitarian (helping an elderly relative), etc. This was during Lockdown last spring. We are going into another Lockdown. The numbers keep climbing. My husband's cousins are all down with COVID. Luckily we haven't seen them for over 3 weeks.

Way back in Mar., I was advocating for this here in the U.S. Most disagreed, but it has gotten out of hand here. I still think we need a total and complete shutdown for 3-4 weeks where only essential employees (healthcare and designated support) are allowed to leave. Under my vision then (and now), nobody else leaves home. Food, supplies, and medicine delivery would be done by people in full PPE and contactless (i.e. set order down at door and leave before person opens door). But nobody wanted to do that. They would rather have months or years of limited contact rather than weeks of zero contact.

To be honest though, isn't this pretty much what most of Europe did in in spring? An now it's coming back there hard.

I suspect if we had done this as well, it wouldn't be coming back in Europe. Where is it coming from? Is their second wave mostly or entirely organic? I would bet not.

Europe has pretty stringent travel restrictions since spring so most likely source is mainly organic

I struggle to imagine which European country you are speaking of. Travel restrictions have only been re announced in France last week. Wales closed boarders three weeks ago and I believe it was the first to do so this fall after all other countries opened last spring to tourism.

I believe the suggestion was that it was brought from the US, and my understanding is that most of Europe has closed borders with the US. I am aware that European countries have been open to each other and blaming each other -- I saw a funny English vs Spanish Twitter battle a month or so ago, with references to both the Armada and the history of public English tourist drunkenness in Spain.

Ah, well fair enough. Blaming is an easy enough thing to do and now days maybe infectious as Cov19. British tourists take a lot of it, not that they aren’t partly to blame, so much unnecessary travel imo.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Great news. I just heard on the radio it's been 5 days without any new coronavirus cases or any deaths in Victoria (Australia). It was the worst hit state recently.

It is really great news, so happy for them.. they did it tough for a bit.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Great news. I just heard on the radio it's been 5 days without any new coronavirus cases or any deaths in Victoria (Australia). It was the worst hit state recently.

It is really great news, so happy for them.. they did it tough for a bit.

I know Jo. So glad I didn't have to go through what they did and so happy for them too. It's now 6 days no new cases and no deaths there :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »

I'm your neighbor to the north.

We hit the ground running in March and kept things lower than most of our neighbors. In hindsight, maybe we could have saved some of that energy. Because now, our governor seems to have no inclination to do anything other than color-code out counties and give "recommendations." Oh, and a mask mandate that doesn't really have much weight. And we're looking at numbers that are 10x what they were in the spring. My county had more cases in October than the preceding months combined, and we're on pace to beat October before this month's half over. It's raging.

If you are in KY then I am your neighbor in IN. And that is exactly what we are dealing with as well. One of the things that was actually said in the last live stream with the governor yesterday was that the states around us are also having problems and some of them have even stricter measures in place so obviously doing that doesn't work either. Like... WHAT?!?