Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Chiming in and some of my experiences are different from those mentioned above. Since March, I have lived in 3 states; began the shutdown in florida, and then spent from May - Oct in Mass and Maine. As for not enough essential businesses being shut down, in Florida and Mass, things were shut down tight IMO. The only category I found stupid were the "essential" liquor stores. But people have pointed out to me that alcoholics can die if forced to detox rapidly. I would not know as I have about 1 drink a month. In both Florida and Mass, there are businesses closed forever because they were not considered "essential". All those people are now unemployed. My sons company was literally cut in half - 1500 to 750 employees, and good luck getting a new job. My son has a friend who is literally phone-crying on his shoulder. She was in the process of divorcing her husband when she was laid off. She has no income, no savings, and now cannot leave her husband, and sees no end in sight and is trapped. As for compliance, the worst compliance I encountered was in the state with the most strict rules at the time, Maine. Residents were terrible. Compliance slowly improved later in the summer, but was a real joke preceding July 4th. They would blame any transmission on "out of state visitors" yet locals were not wear masks nor social distancing.

As for our president ignoring cities, the Boston Major makes all kinds of rules and mandates and if he does not, our governor steps in. We just got new rules going into effect tomorrow night. It is all a tricky balance. There is finger pointing everywhere - lower government levels pointing up, and federal level pointing down.

I will say that I honestly would not want to have the responsibility of dealing with the balance between shutting down to prevent viral spread, and the economic damage and destroyed lives that a shut down causes. I get to sit here and express my opinions with no repercussions for anyone.

Maybe it's me getting more philosophical as I age or the Psych major in me, but as a consultant for businesses (from Fortune 100s to startups) for 25 years, I've seen the most successful businesses nearly always have common themes. A top down strategy that is communicated effectively from the top down to the lowest person in the organization, conformity/consistency of messaging and honesty/ethics. No matter what company I deal with, the ones that are the most successful and have the happiest employees seem to follow this pattern.

If you apply and contrast that to how our government has operated in this pandemic, it's pretty clear they failed miserably. And no matter who wins this election, the damage is already done and we are irreparably harmed.

I mentioned around 2 months ago that I thought we'd see a very dirty form of herd immunity before we saw vaccines. Not that I wanted to see that, but you could see the writing on the wall with people fighting mask mandates and common sense. I still think that's what we'll see. And I'm not sure, at this stage, uniformity of message will help. And that's sad.

You simply have to be as vigilant as you can be, even if that means sacrificing seeing family these upcoming Holidays and stay in the 30% to 50% that will stay safe until we have some form of herd immunity, vaccines, antibodies or treatments for everyone.

I think your business analogy is spot on, and that does not exist, pre or post pandemic.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Chiming in and some of my experiences are different from those mentioned above. Since March, I have lived in 3 states; began the shutdown in florida, and then spent from May - Oct in Mass and Maine. As for not enough essential businesses being shut down, in Florida and Mass, things were shut down tight IMO.

Probably similar to most states. Here we had groceries, liquor stores (although here one can buy booze in grocery stories), and Home Depot like stores open, and some pure gardening stores, although most went to delivery anyway.

"In both Florida and Mass, there are businesses closed forever because they were not considered "essential". All those people are now unemployed."

Restaurants closed here, plus one book store I liked, I am sad. Would they have closed without the stay at home? Likely, as people's actions have changed independent of the state requirements. Do you have reason to think otherwise? Also, re people claiming the issue is states not opening up, what's not open?

"As for our president ignoring cities, the Boston Major [mayor?] makes all kinds of rules and mandates and if he does not, our governor steps in. We just got new rules going into effect tomorrow night. It is all a tricky balance. There is finger pointing everywhere - lower government levels pointing up, and federal level pointing down."

Here is a specific quote I was referring to:

"Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner's team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. "The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy," said the expert."

That might be cool with you (it wouldn't affect FL), but I think it's relevant to what happened in the NE early on and what is happening generally in IL now, as well as early on.

Wow! @lemurcat2 all I can say is that I truly hope that the team "member" was a disgruntled individual looking to stir the pot and that somehow that is false. But assuming it is an accurate statement, that is very disturbing and something I would not condone. Thank you for sharing.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    lokihen wrote: »
    Quote from a friend at a hospital: We're getting the first recovered nurses back from our big outbreak. They're worthless. 2 weeks out most of them aren't functional enough to work as a nurse. For example one today couldn't remember how to set up telemetry or keep train of thought long enough to accomplish a task. She couldn't even follow a TV show from scene to scene.

This wouldn't be surprising in how it impacts the brain as well, but they will or should recover. It might take some time. I'm less worried about people's brains than their lungs and heart. The brain has so much unused that most will recover. The heart, not so much. Every part of the heart is used. Same with the lungs. Those with decent immune systems should recover eventually. Those that have compromised ones will require long term care or have long term health issues.

@Gisel2015 - I do trust science will solve this eventually, but we're out time for this Fall and Winter. Even if they do have vaccines, only the first responders and most at risk should be able to get them now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Chiming in and some of my experiences are different from those mentioned above. Since March, I have lived in 3 states; began the shutdown in florida, and then spent from May - Oct in Mass and Maine. As for not enough essential businesses being shut down, in Florida and Mass, things were shut down tight IMO. The only category I found stupid were the "essential" liquor stores. But people have pointed out to me that alcoholics can die if forced to detox rapidly. I would not know as I have about 1 drink a month. In both Florida and Mass, there are businesses closed forever because they were not considered "essential". All those people are now unemployed. My sons company was literally cut in half - 1500 to 750 employees, and good luck getting a new job. My son has a friend who is literally phone-crying on his shoulder. She was in the process of divorcing her husband when she was laid off. She has no income, no savings, and now cannot leave her husband, and sees no end in sight and is trapped. As for compliance, the worst compliance I encountered was in the state with the most strict rules at the time, Maine. Residents were terrible. Compliance slowly improved later in the summer, but was a real joke preceding July 4th. They would blame any transmission on "out of state visitors" yet locals were not wear masks nor social distancing.

As for our president ignoring cities, the Boston Major makes all kinds of rules and mandates and if he does not, our governor steps in. We just got new rules going into effect tomorrow night. It is all a tricky balance. There is finger pointing everywhere - lower government levels pointing up, and federal level pointing down.

I will say that I honestly would not want to have the responsibility of dealing with the balance between shutting down to prevent viral spread, and the economic damage and destroyed lives that a shut down causes. I get to sit here and express my opinions with no repercussions for anyone.

None of the new restrictions in MA affect me, as I'm in for the night well before 10 PM, and have been acting as if the only business open were still supermarkets, Home Depot, and garden centers.

I wish the gathering restrictions had been in place this summer when four houses one street over were having very loud outdoor parties Every Freaking Weekend.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/524760-new-coronavirus-restrictions-take-effect-in-massachusetts
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    May be any mandate could not only demand mask wearing but specify the way in which they are worn with fines for those not complying. With information to emphasise the way the virus moves atmospherically and remains on hard surfaces, staying active there for how ever many hours the scientists have worked out now, best scientific understanding. Information/ expectation.

My local authority UK had appointed marshals to work along side the police and other officials. My hope is they will not be over worked in this second lockdown.

Wishing everyone all the very best and willing everyone to keep safe.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Also in KY, our hospitalization and ICU usage is going up at a pretty steady clip. Over 1000 hospitalized now.

I lost a great uncle on Monday, not to COVID but to cancer. I don't know what impact if any the pandemic had on his level of care, but I know he was stressed about all the everything that's going on. And that couldn't have been good. A few weeks prior I lost a friend who as only a few years older than me, also to cancer. Geez, what a downer these days are.

So sorry for your losses. :disappointed: