Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Height-ism?

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yep, this has always bothered me as well. Weight is much easier to control, but I get a lot of hate if I say I want someone to be fit. However, it's perfectly acceptable for women to say they won't date a man under a specified height. Why the double standard? Either we all have physical preferences and that is alright or we are scum if we won't date someone that doesn't meet a particular physical standard. Why would it be one way for men and different for women?

"Fit" as in performance level is something different than weight, but I think both could be legitimate preferences for a mate -- either for men or women. Is someone arguing that women should have the option to screen partners for height and weight, but men shouldn't? Or that nobody should be screening for weight? I'm trying to understand where the double standard comes in between men and women, because women are absolutely screening for weight in partners, both online and in real life situations.

In line with this... Screening for weight / fitness is not always about aesthetics, either. In fact I'd argue that it's less about that than compatibility.

Case in point. I was single, athletic and loved weight lifting. I met someone and fell for them who was significantly overweight and didn't do those things. Our relationship really struggled because our priorities were so different. He didn't enjoy the things I did, and I constantly had to choose between him or those things. Going forward, I WILL place more of a priority on fitness just from a compatibility standpoint.

As for the height... I've stated before... I feel like the premise changes if I am a female seeking male and the female is 6' vs 5'.

I have dated men 5'8 and higher and the shorter they get, the more problem they have with me, and I with them. They get teased by their friends, they tease me about my height, and things have gotten uncomfortable or even hurtful as time progressed.

I would prefer someone close to my height. I'd love if they were taller, but it's not my deal breaker. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to say I prefer active and taller. Nor do I think it's unreasonable for someone to say they don't want to date someone 8" taller than them.

Maybe that makes me superficial. But from experience, I have been BADLY hurt by my partner's and my insecurities at play.

Screening for fitness can be a lot of things. In my demographic (65 in a couple of weeks), many women (of whom I'm not one BTW) vehemently believe that many men our age are looking for "a nurse with a purse" (yes, I've seen/heard that phrase used more than once, and yes, it's ugly). At older ages, if someone is partner searching (vs. hookup searching), screening for fitness is potentially screening for people who will be able to be independent and not require partner care very soon.

For clarity: I'm not defending any side of the above. It's an observation. Many of the women I've seen fussing about not being a "nurse with a purse" have no place to stand, if they were to screen for actual fitness. I don't know whether they do so, or not. Many women (whom I know in person) in my demographic do online date, and they're generally looking for longer-term relationships (though not necessarily marriage), and not looking for short-term hookups.

I don't online date, or have any abstract inclination to real-life date. I'm a conscientious objector to the whole thing, these days. If I met someone IRL whose company I enjoyed, I'd spend time with them, doing things we both enjoyed. For me, that would desirably include doing active things.

Thing I found funny: Guy in a social network group I'm in, in a discussion about what kind of partner people sought, mentioned wanting a weight-appropriate woman, and got mega pushback, very hostile (from women). He explained it in terms of wanting to do active outdoor things, which seemed legit to me. Shortly later, I found out that the current (and persistent) state of his health absolutely prevented doing the kinds of active outdoor things he'd mentioned. 😆

He just wanted her to do the yardwork! 😂 😂
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited November 2020
    Yep, this has always bothered me as well. Weight is much easier to control, but I get a lot of hate if I say I want someone to be fit. However, it's perfectly acceptable for women to say they won't date a man under a specified height. Why the double standard? Either we all have physical preferences and that is alright or we are scum if we won't date someone that doesn't meet a particular physical standard. Why would it be one way for men and different for women?

"Fit" as in performance level is something different than weight, but I think both could be legitimate preferences for a mate -- either for men or women. Is someone arguing that women should have the option to screen partners for height and weight, but men shouldn't? Or that nobody should be screening for weight? I'm trying to understand where the double standard comes in between men and women, because women are absolutely screening for weight in partners, both online and in real life situations.

The double standard is when women argue it is ok to screen based on height, but that men are not supposed to screen based on weight. I see this more often than not.

ETA: On another site, a conversation about this came down to that weight is not something people can control, but that men can become taller with cosmetic surgery. Most everyone involved in the conversation agreed with that perspective.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The double standard is when women argue it is ok to screen based on height, but that men are not supposed to screen based on weight. I see this more often than not.

ETA: On another site, a conversation about this came down to that weight is not something people can control, but that men can become taller with cosmetic surgery. Most everyone involved in the conversation agreed with that perspective.

On the first page of this thread it was covered that people (men and women) routinely screen for fitness. I think you are creating a strawman that does not exist in reality. Bluntly, fat chicks are screened out by those not into fat chicks. This is not controversial. As a former fat chick, I expected men to not be interested. No one has ever said that men must date fat chicks.

I think you've missed something. My experience is that women screen for height and it is considered to be acceptable, but that it is not considered to be acceptable for men to screen based on weight. Nobody is arguing that weight is not used for screening (by either gender), I'm just sharing my experience that we (men) are looked down upon when we won't date obese women. And that those same people who chastise men for refusing to date obese women have no objection to women who refuse to date short men. Again this is my experience. Not everyone has the same experiences and that is perfectly normal.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Weird you think it's not acceptable for men (or women) to screen based on weight. It totally is.

I never said that. In fact, I think it's fair to screen based on weight. I'm saying that most people I encounter disagree. Most people I encounter think I'm a d-bag for screening based on weight.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    oh my, where do I begin, I know I am late to the party here, but... first of all I am blessed on a good day I am 6' tall was definitely that in high school, ha ha

this indeed is such a bizarre requirement this one lady went out with my friend ( 6' 9" ) no joke, and she was like 5' 2" he did not ask her height prior to the date, so imagine his surprise that her minimum was a guy that was 5'11" needless to say it did not work out

but then I have heard so many gals use that as an excuse to let them down "gently" it did bite this one gal though when while sitting down she told a guy "I'm just not that into you I would prefer you were taller", he was a confident good looking guy and simply replied, "taller than 6' 3"
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    If it really bothers you: women are terrible at evaluating a dude's height IRL. Just saying... o:)

Someone should compare the distribution of male height on dating apps with that of the general male population.

True in my case, I tend to describe anyone taller than me as "tall" (I'm 5'4) and anyone who is around 6 feet or more as "really, really tall," even if they're 6'1. The men in my family tend to be shorter. I have a brother is who is 5'11 and we all refer to him as the "tall one."

Yeah, I can't tell height or weight and think most can't. I'm 5'3 but usually see men below 5'10 as short, because my dad is 6 foot. But I worked with a guy 6'5 who all the guys thought was super tall and I didn't really notice. I prefer dating someone taller than me but otherwise don't notice much.

On weight, I've seen men guessing women who are obv 120 or more, and perfectly in shape, as 100, which I assume is women lying about their weight or just a lack of knowledge. When I lost a bunch and was super fit at 125, an ex bf (older, taller, in shape around 190), couldn't believe I was more than 110.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

If I saw that dynamic in action, I would absolutely object. There's no justification for screening for height that wouldn't also apply to screening for weight.

You could argue that it's okay to have an preference for certain body types. Okay, that applies to weight too.

You could argue that it's not okay to screen for weight because there are so many social associations with it and the preference for a more slender weight isn't made outside of that context. Okay, but we have strong social associations with height for men as well.

I would say that any kind of physical preference that exists is valid, in that it is part of what creates "attraction" for the person in question. The choice itself may be based on bigotry or small-mindedness (or it may not). It may be part of what makes someone an irrational or unfair or unkind person, but it still exists. Why should anyone be expected to waste time dating people they're not attracted to? Why would I want to go out on a date with someone if he knows from the jump that I'm just not his type?

These short men who want to go out with women who want tall men and overweight women who want to go out with men who want slender mates . . . what outcome do they really think is going to happen? You can shame people into pretending their preferences aren't real, but that isn't going to result in the preferences going away.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

On the first page of this thread it was covered that people (men and women) routinely screen for fitness. I think you are creating a strawman that does not exist in reality. Bluntly, fat chicks are screened out by those not into fat chicks. This is not controversial. As a former fat chick, I expected men to not be interested. No one has ever said that men must date fat chicks.

I think you've missed something. My experience is that women screen for height and it is considered to be acceptable, but that it is not considered to be acceptable for men to screen based on weight. Nobody is arguing that weight is not used for screening (by either gender), I'm just sharing my experience that we (men) are looked down upon when we won't date obese women. And that those same people who chastise men for refusing to date obese women have no objection to women who refuse to date short men. Again this is my experience. Not everyone has the same experiences and that is perfectly normal.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Do some men screen women based on their size? Yes. Do some women screen men based on their size? Yes. It happens in both genders.

If you want to look at comparable unfair bias, then you need to compare men screening on height vs women screening on height.

Otherwise you might as well compare height vs intelligence, or size vs hair color.

In my opinion... People have preferences. Period. If they choose to exclude someone based on not meeting their criteria, then it's their loss if that person is a perfect match in every other way.
    Yes, as noted above, it's completely common to say only fit or thin people only.

I think it's because of the differences in getting to know someone first and then dating them vs. meeting to date without knowing the person as a person. Of course you tend to focus on the more superficial things more than if you know you already like someone.

And if something truly is a deal-breaker, it's good to let people know upfront and not have them waste their time.

As noted, the first page is on point. I'm quoting myself but many others had similar comments.

The idea that men can't or don't reject fat women is bizarre, IMO. Of course they do and of course it's fine if they do.

It seems I'm still not explaining my point clearly as there is still misunderstanding, so I'll try yet again...

We all have preferences about physical appearance and I am of the opinion that this is acceptable. Many others disagree with me on specific factors. Examples:

1. Men are often shamed for considering weight. Specifically, those people often cite that weight is not something women can control and believe it is unfair.

2. Women often have a minimum height consideration. Many of the same people (both genders) who believe it us unfair for men to look at weight based on their belief that weight cannot be controlled will argue that it is acceptable for women to screen based on height.

In some cases, those people go as far as to argue that men can control our height as a justification. These are the same people who believe women are unable to control weight.

It is my opinion that this is a double standard. While I believe it is perfectly acceptable to screen based on weight and height, I disagree with those who say it is acceptable to ONLY screen based on height, but that it is not acceptable to screen on weight.