WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Allie - <3<3<3 Thinking of you, my friend

Machka - You did a brilliant job! What an effort! :o:D I'm sure it is much appreciated.

Barbara - The usual thing, "We'll keep an eye on it." The doc was ordering up the ECG from the hospital to have a look. DH has a very slow heart rate at rest. In the doc's surgery it was 49. My guess as 'Doctor Heather' ( :* ) is that it falls even lower at night and a bit of fluid accumulates in the lungs and head. He gets up several times a night to wee (sitting down! :) ) and I have tried to encourage him to wave his arms around a bit to pump up the circulation. He doesn't really understand the mechanics, but will do a bit of shoulder shrugging. He has no problem at all in the daytime and his exercises on the gym machines go ok. He thinks he is a bit slower than before. He is 75!
    My strain is slowly improving. Trying not to jinx it by doing something stupid. :p

Karen - Please post a few words. I'm worrying about you and miss you. <3

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Yesterday was a busy day. I got up and got my grocery shopping done; with a couple extra stops for greenery (wreaths and garland, which I found NONE!), so I didn't make it home until 12:00. In the middle of my putting away of things (a half hour job), my father in law called. He is 89 now, and moved into a little apartment attached to his son's home after my mother in law passed. He is a hobby wood carver, but does beautiful work. Each year he makes ornaments for his kids and grandkids. He made 52 ornaments in the past two months! I don't have my tree up, yet; but I will see if I can get all of his carved ones together and get a pic to show you. Anyway, he was on his way to Grand Haven to visit all of the Lakeshore LaMore's (Tim and two of his brothers live here). So I did a quick sweep and mop and bathroom clean in 30 minutes. He brought a box of ornaments (one for each of us). We visited for about an hour or so. He left and I began to get my baking ingredients out and ready to begin, then realized I hadn't eaten yet that day. Put a pizza in the oven for Tim and I (early dinner at 3:30). Got that cleaned up...and my oldest son pulled in with his girlfriend with a full trunk of stuff for storage. Hoo-boy! I laughed with Nicolette (Darren's girlfriend) walked in first with a storage shelving unit to help store their things. She was going to put it together then organize their things on it. I had to laugh because her intentions were ridiculously sweet; but also the storage shelf unit was probably four feet wide by six feet tall and would fit only three large bins. I showed her all of Darren's things that are piled in a corner of our basement and she was stunned. lol She said, "He needs an intervention! He is only 33 and he is a hoarder!" Anyway, Tim and I have ordered more storage racks for the basement and garage. They will be arriving this week, so the kids will be out sometime this week to help put them up and get all of their things organized on some of them. They were here for a couple of hours and by the time they left it was 6pm. So...the baking began. I made the rest of the gingersnaps, from the dough that the kids and I made on Friday. Then I made some white chocolate macadamia nut cookies for Tim (because happy husbands stay out of your hair, right?!), last thing into the oven last night was banana bread for the kids breakfast on Monday. I put the ham bone from our Thanksgiving ham in the crock pot with beans, carrots, and water and that cooked overnight and made a lovely bean soup. My crock pot is cleaned and now holding a pot roast and veg for dinner tonight/leftovers this week. I will be working on Christmas cards this morning. I will also be baking pecan shortbread cookies (my dad's favorite cookie), making three batches of rock candy (cinnamon, wintergreen, and anise), a batch of buttercream mints, and boxing them up to send to my four siblings. My mother made these things (along with Rosette cookies; but those are too fragile to ship) every Christmas seas; so I thought my sibs would enjoy a little edible memory. So...busy weekend, but productive! I have a feeling the next couple of weekends will be like this. lol I Love the holidays, though.
    Allie - Oh honey! I am so sorry to hear about the continuing heart issues; but so glad it is happening while you are still at the hospital. I agree with the others in saying, you are exactly where you need to be, right now! Sending so much love and hugs your way! (((( <3:*<3 ))))
    Heather- Great pics of the grands! I know I have said this before, but your son looks SO much like you! I think Edie also resembles you quite a bit. Max and Bea look to be a good mix of both mom and dad. Your fireplace looks great! Light those candles!
    Barbara- So...did you finish all of the fudge? lol It is so good.
    Rebecca- Owain looks so handsome and happy! What a fun surprise! P.S. I think we need an Athena update!
    Cheri- I know you are reading...how is your crocheting going? Are you still able to donate your work (wondering if they are still taking them with the covid policies how they are)?
    Tracey- I can't wait to see pictures of the completed headboard in place and lit up! It is going to look fantastic!

Matter of fact...with the holidays coming...I think we need some holiday crafts, grandchildren, and fur baby pics! Haven't seen many of those, lately. Instant mood lifters!

Love and hugs to all of the rest of you! I better get busy. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :) Jake has been busy watching YouTube videos to learn how to make bone broth with the bones we have in the freezer. He just asked me to add some veggies to the next shopping list so he can do his project next week. I used to enjoy cooking things and now he's the one.

:)Lisa, I remember those sausage balls and they were delicious. Now I am unlikely to want to do the work.

:) Last night when I went on my evening walk I encountered a neighbor and she asked if I'd mind if she walked with me. I am used to walking after dark and she was apprehensive but wanted to see the lights. We walked for almost an hour and talked a bit. Sunset here is as early as it will get for the winter but will stay the same for about two weeks. Sunrise will get later each day and not turn around until January. I love my flashlight and how it makes walking safe and easy for me.

:)Kelly, I am exhausted just reading about your day. I don't know about Cheri, but the hospital that my Project Linus chapter gives blankets to, isn't taking any now. Fortunately the chapter leader is resourceful and has found several agencies that serve families in NW Washington and has found people who need our blankets and knitted hats.

:)Allie, sending more hugs and wishes for your recovery. Glad you are in a safe place where someone is taking care of you.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    M you have given me the idea when I put the Christmas away this year I will put some tissue with lavender oil to cut down on the mites. I do think setting the branches of my tree outside for a couple of hours in the sun is helping too. People used to put dried lavender with items they stored to help preserve them from bugs.

Tree a third of the way there. Today will finish up newsletter and continue on tree. I add my lights as I construct the tree too!

Sunshine and fresh air is a natural disinfectant as long as air pollution reading are low.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    KJ - Oh my! You really are a pioneer woman! :D<3 It's a good job you enjoy it all.

Cookies aren't a Christmas thing at all over here. When I was first on this thread I couldn't understand why on earth you were all baking cookies, at Christmas, when there are so many other things to eat. But we have our own silly customs, like mincepies, which you get offered everywhere you go. Usually a supermarket variety. Luckily I don't like them! :D I am making a batch for our potential garden meet up, using a posh jar of mincemeat I ordered. The kids and I will prefer 'pigs in blankets'. I will mull some non alcoholic wine. Apple juice for the kids.

DH made his own Christmas cake this year as I don't eat it and went on strike. He is going to make his own marzipan. :o:D Normally I buy it, but he wants to try making it.
    No Christmas pudding this year. I bought one last year, nobody wanted it, and I threw it away in September! I always used to make one.

Another common tradition is the jumbo tin of 'Quality Street' chocolates. My in-laws always had them. I don't buy them anymore, but I used to buy a small packet for the boys, in memory of them. They also bought us all a Chocolate Orange, which I hated. And always lemon jelly with the Christmas pudding. My ex still serves that.
    Sausage rolls used to be a thing, but not so much now.

I have been known in the past to make dark chocolate, cocoa dusted truffles, but I have since discovered a brand that is nearly as good, so I'm saving myself the trouble. They are a birthday, anniversary and Christmas treat. I have one a night until they are gone.

Went out for a walk by the sea with DH. Two swimmers in wetsuits, one in a bathing suit. One paddleboarder. It is really chilly out there, but the sun was shining.
    Now to write a few more cards. I've done the old boyfriends and the ex husband. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Tracey - I have a thing about bright lights as I get older... I need them to do any work of any kind. Really love the new lights in your kitchen. Light was one of the reasons I loved this house on first sight. Lots and lots of natural light everywhere. And yes, when people offer me apple or berry pie, or some form of cobbler, I get odd reactions when I tell them I don't like cooked fruit. I'll eat a fresh peach all day... but if you cook one, the texture is so off putting as to make it inedible.

:wink:

KJ - I thought I was on a baking binge, but you put me to shame!

Now I've got my sewing room in shape (three large bags ready for Goodwill of things I will never use) I've got to get a couple masks cut and sewn for Corey. He hates the masks SO much, and I finally found one that's washable, doesn't need wires at the nose, AND doesn't fog your glasses, as long as you perch the nose piece of the glasses on the nose piece of the mask.

While you can do that with regular masks, I always end up tilting my head back, makes me queasy after a while. As long as you use fairly heavy quilting-type cotton fabric (not jersey), it stays cool and won't suck into your mouth and nose when you speak, too. This one is also quite easy to make--for many, the instructions are insanely complicated.

https://www.japanesesewingbooks.com/2020/06/20/free-mask-pattern-download-contoured-3d-face-mask/

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KJ & Lisa
    I really admire all the baking y'all are doing. People will be blessed to eat your treats. I am not a baker at all.

Rebecca
    Great photo and article about your son. He seems to be doing a great job on his ship and sounds very mature for his age.

Tracey
    The lights over your counters give your kitchen a bright new look along with the white cabinets and pretty green paint colors.

I spent the morning on Amazon and eBay ordering gifts. It is my favorite way to shop as I hate going into stores. I am glad that my family is giving me ideas for things they really want.

Carol in GA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Fae's Brownies for batter eaters and chocolate lovers

One egg in mixing bowl with 2 shots Tequilla
    to kill any bird flu virus and salmonella, etc.

Beat the egg with Tequilla very thoroughly and let
    sit for a minute then add
    1 tsp instant coffee
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    4 tbs dark chocolate syrup

Mix well then add
    1/2 cup veggie oil
    1/4 cup water

Mix well then add
    Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie mix
    and mix well then bake by directions on the box

Enjoy scraping the batter from the bowl and eating it
    while the brownies fill the room with a joyous aroma

I top with my almond butter and honey mix

Fae
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: What a lovely photo of your son, Owain. The article is inspring. You’ve done a great job raising that man! He is doing valuable work for our country. :star:

charsuzy: I plan to leave mircrosoft alone for now. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Thanks for the windows Update & Security settings link. :smiley: Canned cranberry sauce and jelly are found on grocery store shelves around here. We haven’t had any in several years. The berries are grown on the south Oregon Coast. I believe they’re also grown in Maine. I watched a story about them on Oregon Public Broadcasting. :star:

Barbara: We replaced our kitchen faucet set and hot tap this summer. We went to Home Depot and didn’t like what we saw, so we ordered from Amazon and hired a plumber to do the installation. He also worked on our upstairs toilet. We have faucet sets in our bathroom that need replacing, but we will likely wait until January to get the work done. :ohwell:

(((Allie))): Thank goodness for your vigilant nurse! :heart:

Machka: No wonder you are tired! Congratulations to you and the 22 cyclists who finished the ride :bigsmile:

Heather: Men are a less durable than women, I think. It has been true in my family. :heart: My parents and DH’s parents enjoyed mince pie. I didn’t like it as a child and have never baked it. Now I have a good excuse—DH can’t eat baked goods that contain wheat flour. :noway: Sadly, we don’t get apple pie, either. :ohwell:

Karen in VA: I agree with Heather—we miss you. I hope things are going okay in your life. :star:

Snowflake: Your DH is a resourceful guy and the lights look great. :smiley:

Carol in GA: DH is also a big fan of eBay. Years ago we found cobalt blue drinking glasses and fell in love with them. DH has been able to find many through ebay and they are delightful. :star:

Fae: I love your brownies! :bigsmile:

Time to take coffee upstairs to DH.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my day to get up super early. My youngest son is a Praise Musician and has to be on site at church super early to set up. I like to get up and make sure he has coffee and see him on his way. I was excited that, today, I was actually able to go back to sleep for a bit after he left. So my Sunday should go much better than the weeks when I spend the day sleep-deprived.

Rebecca Whidbey - Love the picture of your rather handsome Navy son! That's a nice kind of internet search thing to find.

Barbara - I love how he isn’t convinced you need a plumber until after he tries it and completely breaks it! Enjoy your new, plumber installed faucet!

M in Oz - Congrats on the successful cycling event! Sounds like today is a good day to sleep in and rest up.

Kelly - What a great mom to let your kids store so much stuff at your house! Your father in law also sounds pretty special. Hand carved ornaments are such a thoughtful gift!

Tracey - Ember is a cutie!

Barbie - I love my bone broths. I try to keep some chicken bone broth and beef bone broth on hand for soups and stew. Sometimes it’s also nice to just have a cup of warm broth in a cup.

Lisa - Thank you for sharing the mask pattern.

Carol - I have also learned to appreciate shopping without leaving home. I’ve even gotten hooked on using Home Depot’s in-store pickup. Saturday (with a ton of shoppers at Home Depot) I simply walked just inside the door, scanned my on-line receipt code, picked up my order when the locker door opened and then returned to my vehicle. Home Depot shopping done! Love technology!

Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday. :)
    Thyme in Georgia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    One reason it might be hard to find greens and trolls this year is it seems that what everyone is decorating their home with them this year. Getting real Christmas trees is quite popular too. I still like my thirty year tree.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    RVRita: Look up fodmap on line. This is something developed “down under” for people who can’t tolerate wheat. DH was having nasty eating problems and it has been fabulous for him. We printed it all & put it in a binder. He eats gluten free and it has been a tremendous improvement. There is explanation AND excellent recipes.

Katla

Thank you Katla! I will definitely look this up.

I did discover through a self test that I have an UTI. Did a televisit and now waiting for script to be ready at Walgreens.

RV Rita
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💙🟢⚪🖤