Coronavirus prep

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    It's odd that PA has numbers that are so high. We've had a mask mandate almost since the beginning. There was a total shut down for months. Indoor dining in restaurants is closed as are gyms. Schools are mostly virtual. And yet . . .

A lot of people do resist the restrictions. Masks are worn badly, and some don't wear them at all. It seems that the tighter the restrictions, the more people rebel. Still, the number of infections is ridiculously high. The news never explains what is happening. In the beginning it was the warehouse jobs and food processing plants. Now, who knows?

Does PA have state-level data by county? If so, does that provide any insight?

I ask because Michigan, like PA, is a quite-diverse state, with dense urban areas (especially greater Detroit, hit hard and early) but also remote sparsely-populated rural areas (spared early on, now having some sad experiences of their own). There have been distinctly different attitudes and behavior trends, with different consequences at different times, in different parts of the state. Roll it up to the state level, and some insight is lost.

(I'm not suggesting the urban areas now have low rates: It's more complicated than that, because people do mix across the geographic boundaries. But the impact of who's coming from "outside" has different impacts at different times. Here, the outlying areas initially had very low rates, which tended to breed rebellious attitudes toward restrictions. Now, with a culture of denial/rebellion more wired in there, those places have enough local community spread to be in deep weeds, generating lots of cases, overwhelming the small hospitals; and I'll bet selected community members still come visit The Big City for shopping and such. I suspect rural to urban and back is the more statistically common pattern of travel, especially as we've gotten into the holiday season.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    In other news, monoclonal antibodies are available and not being used... frustrating that some people are dying needlessly.

Why Covid Antibody Drugs Go Unused as Need Soars https://nyti.ms/3nWV5Q0

We got a newsletter at my workplace about being careful with travel and what to do if we have symptoms or close contact with a confirmed case. Also, it mentioned that 26% of our location has had it. That is more than 1 in 4. It didn't say if there were any deaths among those.

Communication in general has just been awful smh. One thing the article didn't answer for me was if it would be expensive for me personally and how do I tell? I know the monoclonal antibody treatments are very expensive to produce, but not if that means I would get a huge bill if I demanded it at the onset of symptoms.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    In other news, monoclonal antibodies are available and not being used... frustrating that some people are dying needlessly.

Why Covid Antibody Drugs Go Unused as Need Soars https://nyti.ms/3nWV5Q0

We got a newsletter at my workplace about being careful with travel and what to do if we have symptoms or close contact with a confirmed case. Also, it mentioned that 26% of our location has had it. That is more than 1 in 4. It didn't say if there were any deaths among those.

Communication in general has just been awful smh. One thing the article didn't answer for me was if it would be expensive for me personally and how do I tell? I know the monoclonal antibody treatments are very expensive to produce, but not if that means I would get a huge bill if I demanded it at the onset of symptoms.

I assume it is like everything else... depends on your insurance.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's odd that PA has numbers that are so high. We've had a mask mandate almost since the beginning. There was a total shut down for months. Indoor dining in restaurants is closed as are gyms. Schools are mostly virtual. And yet . . .

A lot of people do resist the restrictions. Masks are worn badly, and some don't wear them at all. It seems that the tighter the restrictions, the more people rebel. Still, the number of infections is ridiculously high. The news never explains what is happening. In the beginning it was the warehouse jobs and food processing plants. Now, who knows?

Does PA have state-level data by county? If so, does that provide any insight?

We do get county level information, which I follow more than the state levels. Where I live is a small town surrounded by farms and orchards. The main business in the area seems to be the warehouses along the interstate and a big Army Depot. The counties on either side of us have had much lower numbers than we get, but we are on the interstate, so that may be driving some of the cases. We went from about 7 cases a day to 130 a day in the past month or so and our deaths have doubled in the past two months. It isn't the nursing homes this time. They went from 60% of the deaths to about 30%. It is a mostly conservative area, so there is a lot of rebellion about the restrictions, so it may just be that the people here are going about their lives as usual and ignoring restrictions on having parties and group events.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    Attention Australians - this video on the Coronavirus Meme thread is a Must Watch:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/45590200/#Comment_45590200
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I looked at the TN plan and I'm in phase 2 (which is actually the 4th phase) of vaccines because I have 1 co-morbidity (diabetes). If I had 2 comorbidities, I would be in phase 1c. If I'm obese, I get it sooner... so maybe I need to gain some weight fast. I know I could become obese in less than a week with my appetite, but I would have to stop carnivore. BG's will suffer terribly and I'll feel awful, so I am not sure it is worthwhile.

Where did you find the TN info? I have at least one comorbidity (diabetes) but don’t know if lupus counts.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Hopefully we are getting on top of the hotspots in NSW..
    22 Dec 8 new cases.. 44 466 tested
    23 Dec 8 new cases.. 41 865

So glad to see so many getting tested..
    In comparison on the 18th Dec 7531 tested.

If we all pull together it can be turned around. Victoria did it.. and we will too.

I have faith in my Aussie neighbours on this :) We Antipodeans know what we need to do.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I looked at the TN plan and I'm in phase 2 (which is actually the 4th phase) of vaccines because I have 1 co-morbidity (diabetes). If I had 2 comorbidities, I would be in phase 1c. If I'm obese, I get it sooner... so maybe I need to gain some weight fast. I know I could become obese in less than a week with my appetite, but I would have to stop carnivore. BG's will suffer terribly and I'll feel awful, so I am not sure it is worthwhile.

Where did you find the TN info? I have at least one comorbidity (diabetes) but don’t know if lupus counts.

@rheddmobile https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/health/documents/cedep/novel-coronavirus/COVID-19_Vaccination_Plan.pdf

And reading again, I guess what I meant was 1b instead of 1c. It's strange... instead of 1, 2, 3, 4; they use 1a1, 1a2, 1b, 2, 3.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    All the disagree people.. do you want to go catch it too just because it's Christmas? Otherwise say why you disagree thank you.