Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    One of the the larger school districts in our area announced their plan. Parents will make a binding choice for the fall semester
    • Child will go to school in person with distancing measures, masks required, etc. Classes will be taught by the district's teachers. If there is an outbreak these kids will be taught remotely by their regular teachers
    • Child will remote school. Instruction will be through a 3rd party provider.

This is interesting because I was just asking elsewhere about the plan. If a teacher or student is infected, then everyone who rode the bus or had a class with that person quarantines for 2 weeks? And if one of them ends up sick, does everyone who rode the bus or had a class with that teacher or student quarantine for 2 weeks?

Not to mention that multiple families have more than one child in school. Compound this by what the plan is if someone in class A gets sick and someone in that classroom has a sibling in Class B. Is all of Class B now expected to quarantine? The logistics of this seem almost overwhelming.

Exactly! Just have everyone do virtual. Students without a computer/internet can maybe be sent packets of materials to read and complete.

Kids were already falling behind with e-learning - the answer is not to continue to do so. But what to do we do for those children who don't have parents who can/will keep them not only accountable for doing the work but ensuring that the child has LEARNED the information? If they don't have access to a computer or internet what makes you think they have a parent that has the time, desire, or necessary education to be able to teach that child what they need to know. Packets (and even e-learning/virtual school) will only make the gaps larger between groups of children in terms of the education levels. And then what do we do to help them catch back up? Someone somewhere suggested we just pause all kids for a year. But that is not feasible at ALL. There are no good or easy answers, but kids need to go back to school.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    One of the the larger school districts in our area announced their plan. Parents will make a binding choice for the fall semester
    • Child will go to school in person with distancing measures, masks required, etc. Classes will be taught by the district's teachers. If there is an outbreak these kids will be taught remotely by their regular teachers
    • Child will remote school. Instruction will be through a 3rd party provider.

Apparently Chicago is going to try bringing kids back for 2 days a week (on a rotating schedule) to keep schools less crowded, but allow for some in-school time. Seems hard to implement. CTU is against it, so who knows if it will happen.

It just seems to me that there are no good answers here.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-schools-fall-cps-20200717-6zsnwaphrredvl2agiu7jiv2bm-story.html
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @kshama2001 - I agree that legislating relief during this is a necessary thing, but it's not going to solve the longer term issue of a highly contagious respiratory virus that they're not even sure a vaccine will work against.

If a vaccine becomes viable like the Moderna one (or any of them, really) then all this relief and discussion goes away in less than a year. Until then, we're in trouble.

On the rest of the arguments which are all red herrings, no one is safe, correct. That's always been a given. The young who are not as seriously affected as a whole should be allowed to go back to work. The massive layoffs and furloughs mostly affect the young. I'm not talking about grocery store or essential workers, but everyone in every industry that has been basically shut down indefinitely. Restaurants, sports, hotels, lots of retailers, etc etc etc..

I live in Seattle so I'd love to see Amazon finally take some tax hits and/or get broken apart so it didn't have such a monopoly on distributions.

Those who are older hopefully have not wasted their entire lives and have not put away any money...it's ridiculous to think *I* or anyone WANTS someone to die - but that is the reality of life on this planet. Yes, masks and social distancing are good ideas. They are only so effective. In this day anyone who doesn't have to work can stay home and have everything delivered if they're worried. So no, not every young person is affected and not every person with a pre-existing condition is being handed a death sentence - all arguments have nuance.

A lot of people can work from home. I think a lot has been done, I don't see why anyone thinks it hasn't. They're building factories costing tens of millions of dollars to manufacture a vaccine that isn't even approved yet - all on spec.

Not everything in life can be controlled or fixed. Especially not in four months time. This virus is not a controllable thing. If you really believe China or Germany has eliminated it, well, I don't know what to say to that. If you look at that Johns Hopkins link I posted above, you'll see that our rate of death per case is 3.9% (edit - in the U.S.) and Germany's is 4.5%, so again - not sure what the point was there. Sweden is at 7.3%, UK at 15.4%.

No one is getting this right because you can't get this right unless you're a poor reporter, an isolated country or have a low population/low density.