Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Did everybody see the bus driver who was assaulted by a couple people, all over mask requirements; he died due to extensive brain injuries. :( WTF is wrong with people???? They need extensive jail time, hopefully in a Covid ward of some kind. I'm sorry, I wouldn't wish Covid on my enemies but really, to me that'd be justice working at its best.

Is that the one in France? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/french-bus-driver-beaten-death-after-asking-passengers-wear-face-n1233603

I recall being surprised that stuff like that was apparently happening there too.

A friend of mine took the bus recently, and she said most were wearing them, but not all. I wish the drivers were enforcing them here, or refusing to let people on. Possibly some are, some aren't.

Unfortunately the driver would rather take a chance with the possible virus vs possible physical altercation.

I don't think a physical altercation would be very likely here (you can't get on until you pay, you can't get on without a mask), at least not in the places I've taken buses. My friend said most people were wearing them, and the bus crowd tends to be older on average. Maybe in some parts of the South and West sides it would be different.

I went to the post office downtown last week and had to ask for help finding a package at the desk. There are big signs that masks are required, and everyone was wearing them and standing on the dots that social distance those in line, but then some young woman with a bike (I also doubt bikes are allowed in the building) came up and stood right next to me without a mask. I moved sideways to get away from her (I was at the counter being helped, not in line), but didn't say anything because I am conflict avoidant in public and wasn't really in the mood for the "okay, Karen" or whatever thing she was likely to say, but I was slightly annoyed their security didn't tell her to put a mask on. But since I didn't say anything, I can't really complain, I suppose. I always find it surprising when people are just so blatant in disregarding the rules, though, since I can't imagine doing that.

How does that work? Is the farebox attached to the outside of the bus? The places I've used buses, the fareboxes are inside the bus, next to the driver so s/he can see if you pay or not. And if you can't get on if you're not wearing a mask, does that mean that all the mask-wearers at a stop with one non-mask-wearer gets left behind? All the scenarios I'm imagining where this works involves a level of compliance that I wouldn't expect from someone who has already decided not to mask (e.g., the door opens for the mask-wearers, and the non-mask-wearer just doesn't get on because they're not supposed to).

Even before COVID19, a bus driver here would simply drive to the nearest police station if they were contentious persons on board. Don't know if that would work in your area, but worth a try.

The incidents I see on the local news since they installed security cams on all the buses typically don't look like they allow for that kind of time. E.g., someone boards and doesn't pay. As soon as the driver says something, the person takes out a weapon or just starts pummeling the driver. Then they generally depart pretty quickly.

I suppose it might work in situations where the passenger gets involved in an altercation with another passenger. The driver could just let it go down while driving to the police station. But I would think in most cases the offending passenger would eventually notice the driver has gone off track. If they suspected what was happening (and after the first couple of times a driver managed to get the bus to the police station, everybody would know it was happening), the result would be the same: turn the weapon or fists on the driver and then leave.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    One of the the larger school districts in our area announced their plan. Parents will make a binding choice for the fall semester
    • Child will go to school in person with distancing measures, masks required, etc. Classes will be taught by the district's teachers. If there is an outbreak these kids will be taught remotely by their regular teachers
    • Child will remote school. Instruction will be through a 3rd party provider.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    One of the the larger school districts in our area announced their plan. Parents will make a binding choice for the fall semester
    • Child will go to school in person with distancing measures, masks required, etc. Classes will be taught by the district's teachers. If there is an outbreak these kids will be taught remotely by their regular teachers

This is interesting because I was just asking elsewhere about the plan. If a teacher or student is infected, then everyone who rode the bus or had a class with that person quarantines for 2 weeks? And if one of them ends up sick, does everyone who rode the bus or had a class with that teacher or student quarantine for 2 weeks?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Agreed. In Wuhan, cohabitants of infected people, by and large, became infected. They moved infected people who weren't very sick to a quarantine center (often against their will) to prevent spreading to others in the domicile who might get very sick. Here in the US, I can see how in a crowded home, it would spread as in Wuhan. Some homes are spacious, though, spacious enough to distance and to prevent spread to cohabitants. It highlights yet another contrast between real life consequences to rich vs. poor.

So in janejellyroll's example, in a rich school district, policies could assume siblings can isolate, but it's a bad assumption in less affluent areas. And most districts aren't uniformly affluent. So what do you do... have different rules depending on how big a family's home is? Less affluent families have more pressure to work (and therefore to send kids to school). How can policies account for that? Hard to see how this could be implemented practically.

The NYT just had an interesting article delineating measures private schools can afford to open safely vs. under-resourced public schools. My county health dept just issued an order prohibiting all schools, public and private, from opening in person before Labor Day. I'm sure things will get murky beyond that. The harsh reality is that those with the fewest resources to keep safe have the most pressure to get back to pre-covid practices.

Not to mention that the families who have less room to isolate are more likely to have adults in the home who are working public facing jobs and may not have the available sick leave in order to self-isolate if they find out someone in the household is exposed. The risk is going to go both ways - school children will bring COVID home and adults will take it to their workplaces.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

This is interesting because I was just asking elsewhere about the plan. If a teacher or student is infected, then everyone who rode the bus or had a class with that person quarantines for 2 weeks? And if one of them ends up sick, does everyone who rode the bus or had a class with that teacher or student quarantine for 2 weeks?

I was told parents were being surveyed to see if the home had the ability to take the kid's temperature before leaving the house. In theory a sick kid won't be getting on the bus.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    The harsh reality is that those with the fewest resources to keep safe have the most pressure to get back to pre-covid practices.

Honestly this restriction has gone on long enough that this group is probably approaching critical mass right now.

Those of you in this thread who are the loudest proponents of social distancing and masks and quarantines...how would you feel about all this were you not privileged? It's easy for those with stay-home capability to pontificate from their keyboards but the reality is that tens of millions of people are living basically hand-to-mouth even in the best of economic times.

Unless you know a way to fabricate money out of thin air, I think allowing everyone to make their own choice is going to be the only way forward. Yes, people are going to die. More people won't. The choice should not be up to rich people living in comfortable isolation with plenty of money.

I've often wondered as I'm reading this thread how those who are isolated are doing. I see so many people saying we need to keep parents/grandparents safe and essentially totally isolated to keep them from getting Covid. In no way do I think we should deliberately spread it to those who are most vulnerable, but is it worth grandpa getting a longer life if that life is spent in isolation and him being unhappy due to not being able to spend time, hug or even see his family? There needs to be balance for all...I'm not sure what the answer is but the mental health effects on our most vulnerable are not being taken into consideration it seems like.

Plus e-learning just won't work for so many kids - whether it's because they do not have the resources at home to be able to utilize it, don't have the necessary supervision/involved parents to be successful or a multitude of other factors - we aren't doing most kids any favors by keeping them at home.
  • knightmagic
    knightmagic Posts: 100 Member
    I live in Hampton Roads VA, the biggest problem center in Virginia.

I've walked by several house parties in the afternoons. One of them was a volleyball party, with teenagers coming over and hugging each other and whatnot. It's disheartening that people are acting this way.

In grocery stores, most people I see wear masks, but there are always a couple that don't. And some of those that do, don't wear them properly- not covering their nose.

On my walks, my neighbors will get super close to me and want to talk, while neither of us are wearing masks. I do a lot of crossing the street/turning around/avoiding. I need to just bite the bullet and wear a mask walking around my neighborhood- in the past I've not come across a lot of people, so I didn't prioritize wearing a mask for exercise, but I guess that's done now. I walk early in the morning, around 4, when no one's out, and then in the afternoon, that's when everyone's out.

I'm in a text group where the moms say that they're "beaching it," doing normal summer things. I don't know whether they take precautions or not, or whether they go at off-hours, or whatever. I hope they are.

People are just tired of confining themselves, I guess. And so am I. But I'm not tired enough to stop trying to keep my family and my neighbors safe. I do feel that the people around me believe I'm overreacting. My extended family is having a *kitten* reunion in a week, flying in from all over the country. We are of course not going. I hope nothing bad happens.

i try to do my best to keep my mask in my pocket, or i run/walk in the rain lol. People stay inside usually so i get the whole road to myself when i do this!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

Not to mention that multiple families have more than one child in school. Compound this by what the plan is if someone in class A gets sick and someone in that classroom has a sibling in Class B. Is all of Class B now expected to quarantine? The logistics of this seem almost overwhelming.

Exactly! Just have everyone do virtual. Students without a computer/internet can maybe be sent packets of materials to read and complete.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited July 2020
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The harsh reality is that those with the fewest resources to keep safe have the most pressure to get back to pre-covid practices.

Honestly this restriction has gone on long enough that this group is probably approaching critical mass right now.

Those of you in this thread who are the loudest proponents of social distancing and masks and quarantines...how would you feel about all this were you not privileged? It's easy for those with stay-home capability to pontificate from their keyboards but the reality is that tens of millions of people are living basically hand-to-mouth even in the best of economic times.

Unless you know a way to fabricate money out of thin air, I think allowing everyone to make their own choice is going to be the only way forward. Yes, people are going to die. More people won't. The choice should not be up to rich people living in comfortable isolation with plenty of money.

I think other countries managed to keep most people financially solvent and safe at home, and I'm angry we didn't even really seem to try to do that.

And I think if all of the people who are privileged enough to be able to work from home actually stayed at home and self quarantined as completely as possible, we would be making conditions for essential workers much safer.

Unfortunately, back when we were supposed to be staying at home, people were running to the grocery or big box stores multiple times a week, browsing, going to family and friends houses, arguing about wearing masks. And now people are packing bars and throwing covid parties.

Our country's epically bad handling if this crisis is forcing people who were already struggling to make awful choices between two evils and it sucks. It's historically tragic. And it didn't have to be this way.

I think it DID have to be this way.

Those countries that kept people home? China. We won't go there.

Name another country that isn't an island and that has 300 million people who successfully contained this particular virus.

There isn't one because this virus is not containable. Never has been. It's not like ebola where people show symptoms and then die. You can't trace contacts of a virus that acts like the common cold until three weeks in when people die.

I agree it was destined to be more of a challenge here. But if you look at the numbers, our cases per capita and deaths per capita contradict your post. Most of the EU has it under control. Canada is doing light years better than we are. But the only reason it HAD to be like this in the US is because of where we put our priorities. IMHO it was a choice, and we soothe ourselves by ignoring the other options we had. I can't really say more without getting political.

I'm privileged enough to be able to work from home, but I am now and have always been barely keeping my head above water, so it's hard for me to financially help others. I try my best though. It's frustrating that there's plenty of money out there, it's just not being used to get the people struggling through this. I don't think I'm required to be paying other people's rent to express dissatisfaction with the way our government and corporate America has handled the last 6 months

Most of the EU has it under control.

No.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. EU didn't do any better job.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

I would venture a guess that we have better reporting than a lot of the countries that fall below us rate-wise. I would also venture a guess that many of those countries are operating behind a veil of partial secrecy/denial/trying to keep the masses calm and their economies as open as possible.