Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on the “glamourizing/normalizing” obesity vs body positivity conversations

Options

Replies

• mariamsmb1
    mariamsmb1 Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @nooshi713

I was watching World News Tonight last night and they claimed that many of the deaths in Los Angeles were occurring among "younger people with no pre-existing conditions." I thought of this discussion and how the news was probably exempting obesity and undiagnosed conditions from that list.
    mariamsmb1 wrote: »
    Diabetes is the biggest health crisis in our country right now, IMO.

Diabetes is a big reason why I'm trying to eat healthier and exercise more. I've never been overweight, but I have PCOS which increases the risk of diabetes, and type 2 diabetes runs in my family. One of my older close relatives is pre-diabetic despite not being overweight and generally eating healthy and exercising regularly. Another close relative got it despite having a very physically demanding job for most of their life. So the people who can reverse their diabetes just by losing weight or changing their diet are lucky, in a sense.

To those who have type 1 diabetes that can’t be controlled with lifestyle, I really sympathize.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    We have an obesity problem in Australia too but the corona virus is no where near as out of control as it is in the US I think mainly because of the way our government handled it

The point about obesity relates to comorbidities/outcomes if one catches the virus, not the spread.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    While you're probably generally correct, I'd caution against assuming someone young and healthy must've been obese if they died.

There are cases of young, healthy, non-overweight people dying of COVID, but they're not the majority. Obesity is the biggest risk factor after age for dying of COVID, and 90+% of hospitalized patients have diagnosed underlying conditions (most of the underlying risk factors are obesity-related illnesses).

https://www.newsweek.com/obesity-covid-19-risk-coronavirus-hospitalization-1497791
    I would add that someone being described as heavy, or looking fat in a photo, doesn't mean they are obese. Obese is a specifically defined term, and you can't look at an undated picture of someone and determine whether they were obese. I have no doubt that the large percentage of the population that are obese leads to higher death rates, but I'd caution at making sweeping generalizations when there is still so much we are learning about how the virus works.

One doesn't need to calculate the exact BMI of the people in those photos to be able to tell that they were obese, and in some cases morbidly obese. Even if they lost enough weight between when the photo was taken and now to not be obese anymore (which is very unlikely since their families likely would have submitted a newer photo to the news), being obese has long-term effects on health even after the weight is lost.
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    And not to mention the impact of obesity has on heath outcomes in "normal" times. The high obesity rate in the US raises the need for medical resources which is made worse by the pandemic.

That's one of the reasons why I think all this virtue signaling about "if it saves just one life!" is dishonest. Millions of people die every year from preventable lifestyle-related diseases and yet those deaths are somehow less important than COVID deaths.

It's also weird that there aren't many studies on how much weight the average person gained during the pandemic even though this is a huge public health concern which will lead to preventable deaths.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sure. The point is, even young, healthy people get very sick. The starting proposition here seemed to be that if the US didn't have so many obese people, there wouldn't be so many deaths, and if there weren't so many deaths, the country wouldn't have had activity restrictions/shutdowns.

My point was that this is a very serious disease, with pretty awful experiences and consequences even among the young and very healthy. I believe we would have (need) activity restrictions/shutdowns even if we had fewer obese people, and a lower death rate.

I find it very curious that it's hard for me to find information on what percentage of COVID deaths could have been avoided with weight loss. We know that over 90% of people who died had pre-existing conditions, most of which are linked to obesity, but the nature of those pre-existing conditions likely varies by age. For example, a lot of the people who died were nursing home patients, who are probably less likely to be overweight since most overweight people don't survive into their 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. and appetite also generally reduces with age. But of the people who were younger, what percentage were overweight or obese? That's something I'm having a hard time finding data on and I find that to be strange.

In general, I'd say that it is hard to get reliable data on stuff like this in the midst of a pandemic. People in public health are working on THAT right now and a lot of data is probably still in a raw form to be used later.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm not seeing anything where overweight or obese people are telling those with mental illnesses that they need to "get over it" so they can be safer. I think you're heavily personalizing public health messages. Which I get, this whole thing has been frustrating in many different ways, but I don't think seeing this as an obese people versus mental illness thing is warranted. To begin with, there is overlap between these two categories!

In discussions I've had, I've seen a lot of overlap between the people who tell anyone who is negatively affected by the lockdowns to "get over it," and the people who get offended when you suggest that people should take more personal responsibility for their own health before asking others to sacrifice for them. I'm not implying that anyone who holds these beliefs is obese, or anyone who doesn't hold these beliefs is not obese. (Ironically, I have several friends who are overweight/obese and agree with me about the obesity/COVID/personal responsibility thing.)
    I get that you don't understand how anyone can be overweight. It's a common thing, but I promise you that logistical and mental obstacles to weight loss exist, including a lack of information about how CICO works or not understanding how to effectively implement it into one's life.

I never said that I don't understand how anyone can be overweight. I just gave an entire paragraph of reasons why I think people stay overweight. I just said that I don't think lack of access to information is the reason. 20 or 30 years ago, sure, it was a lot harder to find information back then, maybe that would have been a factor. But today, the information is out there, free and available. If someone doesn't look it up, it's because they don't want to know.

And again, regardless of what the reason is why people keep gaining weight, is it not the government's job to fix this public health crisis? Why are governments and our society in general enabling the obesity crisis instead of trying to fix it? If the answer actually is just lack of knowledge, that would be a pretty easy fix, wouldn't it? Why aren't there huge billboards with this information everywhere, the same way there are billboards everywhere about wearing a mask or social distancing?

There's a ton of information on weight loss out there and a lot of it is conflicting.

I think someone can be overweight AND think it's an issue of importance and still not be sure how to proceed. Or maybe they know how to do it, but implementing consistently is an issue. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see this as an us/them issue and I don't think it's a consequence of fat being glamorized.

Daily here, we encounter people who know what to do and aren't quite sure how to do it (given the circumstances of their lives or particular emotional issues). There are also people who know what they want to do, but have inaccurate ideas of how it needs to be done that are either setting them back or causing them to spend energy on controlling irrelevant factors. We're in a society that makes it incredibly easy to consume more energy than our body needs. I can understand how some don't have grace to expend or don't want to expend grace, but I've been there and I think it's more complex than you're making it out to be.

The corollation of obesity and a history of abuse, and of obesity with poverty, is stunning when you dig into it. The number of people in the US who don't have access to a primary care doctor, internet access, or a decent k-12 education as a result of poverty (either urban or rural) is also stunning.

I listened to a podcast comparing access to broadband internet in the US to other industrialized nations and it blew my mind!

As a consequence, I suspect that overweight/obese people are over-represented in the "essential worker" or "meet the public" workforce, when it comes to those outside strict total-PPE health care settings, especially. That appears to me to be true, based on the people in those jobs that I see around me, but I know that my eyesight's not a statistical sample.

I wonder if something like that could also play a role in over-representation of overweight/obese people among those dying of Covid in the US? There's IMU some evidence that higher viral load (loosely, getting more viral bits on/in you when exposed) relates to more severe cases of Covid. It would be interesting to know if those in essential/public-facing/low-PPE jobs are dying at disproportionate rates from the virus.

As someone mentioned above, I don't expect to see those more refined statistical analyses for quite a while yet, to explore questions like that, there currently being fatter fish right now for epidemiologists and their statistician buddies to be frying.