Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Thoughts on the “glamourizing/normalizing” obesity vs body positivity conversations

167891012»

Replies

• shana7999shana7999 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I think what needs to be encouraged and high-lighted in society is loving yourself NO MATTER what size you are. Life is a precious gift, and it needs to be cherished and respected. Care should be given to our bodies, but this obsession with body image is unhealthy. Should we strive for health? Yes!!! does this look the same for everyone?? No!! Stop judging everyone else and focus on your own happiness and gift of life. ✨💪🏻✨

My perspective.

I hope it resonates with others!
  • syeda2007syeda2007 Posts: 23Member Member Posts: 23Member Member
    There is something or some things we are not doing right if we have the time and energy to promote glamourising being the victim. We are playing at the hands of big pharma, food industries.
    We know those models of body positivity are a cry for help, but after you wipe the tears and talk about your hardships in your journey, isn’t the next step to try and be healthy again?
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,650Member Member Posts: 7,650Member Member
    Sometimes it really is food addiction.

My ex had a mother who was a real piece of work. She told him what a pig he was as she gave him a serving of his favorite foods. She never said she loved him, just baked him a cake. Yeah, he grew up with a really messed up attitude toward food. He was obese his whole life. That, combined with 20 years of smoking, got him a heart attack at 51. Due to the lung damage, he was on a respirator and tube fed for three and a half months. He lost 150 pounds. He had about another hundred to go; then, with an abdominoplasty, he would have been normal weight and looked like everyone else. I don't know anyone with obesity issues who wouldn't trade three months of sleeping through life to lose 150 pounds! What a gift! Over halfway there already! And I was willing to cook him whatever diet he wanted to go on to keep it off.

In six months he put it all back on and an extra fifty pounds for good measure. He refused to eat better. Instead, he had second breakfasts, and heavy lunches, and dinners, and a midnight supper, and didn't move much. Now he has emphysema and congestive heart failure, and is diabetic. It broke my heart to watch this, but you can't make someone want to break their addiction, you just have to wait until they do.

I couldn't hang on that long. We're now divorced. And now that I'm not around his addiction, I can work on my own weight issues. (He wouldn't let me diet either.) I don't think he can ever break that addiction. And that's a pity. But social disapproval never moved him. Addicts don't care about that. Or, at least, they care until they find out the restaurant offers not only french fries, but cheese sauce and bacon to top them.

@theleadmare breaking food addictions is hard but I was age 63 before I realized I was an addict in October 2014. It was a hellish 2 weeks when cold turkey I stopped eating and drinking any food that contained any added sweeteners or any form of any grain.

Thankfully 30 days later I was able to say No to starting Enbrel injections for pain management.

I'm still Rx med free in 2020 with better health and health markers than decades ago.

Our son and daughter are now 22. I didn't want them to have to watch me die thinking that may be their future as well.

I had a friend that got too heavy to manage at home near the end and I didn't wish that on my wife.

We can only control our own Way Of Eat and best of success in finding the WOE that works best for you today.
    edited January 28