WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,474 Member
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Learn from scratch-doubt it will ever happen, but I have always wanted to learn to read classical Greek (so I can read some of my favorites in the original).
    Take care all,
    Ginny in Ohio

I have learned both Koine Greek and Latin.

My father was taking Koine Greek when he got his Master's degree and I was about 12 years old, so he decided to teach my mother, brother and me to help him learn it. That got me started with it.

Then, during my first Bachelor's degree, I took at least 2 semesters of Koine Greek and I could read much of the New Testament in Greek.

During my second Bachelor's degree, I added a couple semesters of Latin, and was able to read some of the Latin classics.

I would struggle to read both now, it has been decades! But if I devoted a little bit of time to it, I could probably pick it up again.

Both my father and my brother know Koine Greek like it's their native language.

I'm sure there are courses around. :)

M in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,706 Member
    Rebecca - I love being an absolute beginner at something. GENERAL QUESTION to everyone - what would you like to learn from scratch?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/07/the-joys-of-being-an-absolute-beginner-for-life

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

That's a great question. I want to learn to knit! To make some multicolored socks/ slippers. My goal and desire for this year.👍🙃😁
    Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,474 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Got a jigsaw puzzle in the mail today. At first I was going to do it for Ken but it’s only 500 pieces so then I decided I’d return it and do the 1,000 piecer for him. Well, the 500 piece one came in the mail today – in 4 pieces. Vince thinks Ken will like it so we will probably keep it and give him one for his birthday and one for Christmas.

Michele NC

Isn't the point of giving someone a puzzle that they can do it themselves?

We gave my sister-in-law a puzzle for Christmas - a 1000 piece which she can do.

M in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,706 Member
    Oh and also facilitate some way to play a piano. Thinking of asking the general public if anyone has a piano that's not being played. I will bring wipes to wipe down before and after, and also wear a mask. Hoping to find a little old lady with a grand piano.💖 I would even sing some opera!
    Rebecca
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 970 Member
    Rebecca - I love being an absolute beginner at something. GENERAL QUESTION to everyone - what would you like to learn from scratch?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/07/the-joys-of-being-an-absolute-beginner-for-life

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

SCUBA. I have snorkeled, but I don't know that it is a transferrable skill.

Flea
    Still hanging out in the dark, rainy north western environs of the continental US.

Snorkeling is much different from SCUBA and I think snorkeling is harder. But, they are definitely not the same skill sets. That said, I highly recommend SCUBA. :)

Tina
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,697 Member
    B)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,919 Member
    Katla - hope the new lenses don’t take long arriving.

Machka - the rehab therapist at work is looking up hip exercises for me.
    I also need to get some core strength built back up again.

Sue - sorry to hear your brother has Covid.

My husband makes me laugh and is the best at doing it when I’ve had the worst days.

My grandchildren, including the grand puppy all make me laugh.

The last full out laugh I remember was when my brother told me the nursing home had finally figured out how Mom was gaining so much weight.

My brother had taken care of Mom for 4 years before she went into the home and for the last 2 years of that had to prepare and deliver all her meals. Through diet alone he helped my Mom lose 60lbs and went from 4 insulin shots per day, I don’t know how many metformin to no insulin and only 1 pill a day. She was also off of BP meds. In the last few months Mom has gained a lot of weight and now needs to be on insulin again. Of course, he is put out about this and feels the nursing home wasn’t taking proper care and rightly so.
    So he finds out that Mom, who has been an insomniac my whole life, has a new roommate who is also an insomniac. Mom’s new friends has been sneaking down to the kitchen throughout the night and getting them treats and food.
    I laughed about it, because it reminded me of being a child and sneaking food in the middle of the night, but also working in a home I know just how smart these seniors are. My favourite resident that passed on Christmas Day, would buy chocolate bars, chips, pop whatever and then give it to the diabetics that wanted it. It took us a while to catch onto that one.

Heather - there are three things that I would like to learn from scratch.
    Stained Glass making
    Glass blowing
    Guitar

There is a new business that opened just before Covid hit that teaches the stained glass and glass blowing. My husband looked at lessons as an idea for a Christmas present and the lesson is $275 so it’s not happening anytime soon.

Pottery would be fun to learn to.

Ginny - I stayed up too late watching your tv last night too.

Michele - my husband has sleep apnea, be absolutely refuses to believe me and won’t be seen. I’ll have to tell him about this.
    We had a friend die in his early twenties from sleep apnea, his fiancée had left for the weekend to go buy her trousseau. They were waiting for surgery for him to try to lessen the apnea. It was said that he had a heart attack.

Rebecca - I was going to learn knitting a couple years ago and gave it up again. I know how to knit, the one stitch and I learned a couple years ago to actually cast on. I should dig that out again. You tube helped me learn to cast on. I actually remembered from my Grandmother teaching me the actual stitch.

I have been thinking of my Grandmother’s doughnuts for a couple days. I don’t know if I could handle making them with the pain in my back and if I could handle that who would eat them all. I just want a couple or three!😂

Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,090 Member
    Pip- any word on newer appt.. hope you find what you ,Kirby and Floyd need...xoxo

Thanks for asking, not yet
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    edited January 2021
    :) I retired from working full time in 2004. Since then I've learned how to line dance,meditate, use a smart phone, crochet, make Excel spreadsheets, and attend and facilitate meetings on Zoom. That's enough.

:) I think a lot of things are funny, but I rarely laugh.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,478 Member
    M – I’ve done the puzzles, put a special glue on them and then framed them and I’ll give them to people. To be honest, I don’t know if Ken would be able to sit long enough to work on a puzzle. And I know my daughter won’t do it.

Tracey – I’m so sorry about your friend.

We got a new base for our Roomba. Seems it’s a safety issue (what exactly I don’t know) but the company sent us a new base. We have no idea what the difference is

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,996 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,619 Member
    Machka - Bill Bryson also makes me laugh out loud.

Ginny - I did Ancient Greek at school as an extra "O Level" in my senior years. My best friend decided she wanted to do it, (we were both doing Latin A Level ), and I didn’t want to miss out. We were a class of two, having classes in the Latin teacher's lunch hour, out of the goodness of her heart.
    I can't say it thrilled me, but I managed to decently pass the exam. We studied Xenophon and Euripides.
    I would imagine there are some good online courses these days. I think Terri studies Latin.

I have often fancied learning Arabic, as I used to love visiting Arabic speaking countries. These days that is much more difficult. I learned a few words from a phrasebook. Including "ishmi", which means, 'go away', the most useful word ever. :p
    Every time I start a new language I find it thrilling, but I think I will just stick to improving the ones I have now.
    A new language opens up a whole new world of culture, history, travel, scenery. It's a bit like making a commitment to a new relationship.

I love that steep beginner curve you get when you first learn something new. The plateau later on is much harder to negotiate.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    This was a quiet day. Yay! My face is recovering from a trip and fall Monday evening after taking garbage cans to the curb. I ruined my glasses lens. New lenses have been ordered. I am feeling better as time goes bye. I hope new glasses lenses get here soon, but the eye doctor said it would be a couple of weeks before they get to the clinic. I want to see better! I can hardly wait for them to get here. Katla
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,589 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline,
    Bonus: massage, Post Office, stroll with Tracie, picked up call logs from firehall.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call S, find HRM, fire call data into state system, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Friday unpack faucet, call plumber, call roofer and movie date with Joe, Garbo’s Anna Karenina
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, Happier January:
    7: Learn something new and share it with others: One Margarita with Tracie but turns out she knew it better! :laugh:

What makes me laugh? Tumble and Shadow. Joe. Strolling with T we laugh a lot. Commercials and advertisements that are unintentionally funny.
    What would I like to learn from scratch? Spinning and weaving.

Welcome back @dandl19986 !

Brilliantly gorgeous day today. Took advantage and strolled with T on the bluffs above the ocean. High surf warnings, stunning waves, blue sky and sea really lifted our hearts. Glad we went when we did. Clouded up this afternoon and now pouring down rain.
    All those steps made me sleepy so just skimmin’

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 7, weigh/wii: 7/10, steps>5592=7401 vits=7 log=7 CI<CO=7 CI<250<CO=6 Tumble 5=6 Shadow 5=7 mfp=7 outside=7 up hill=6
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=1 dance=4 clean 60 mins=2 packwalk=1
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=4 play=6 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @Allie, thinking of you. (((hugs))))

@Machka9 great, you are sinking your teeth right into it. looking forward to hearing about the beekeeping.

@exermom Stained glass windows is something I would enjoy! The background for zoom meetings: I was teaching 20+hours a week plus the odd meetings, so had to find a neutral view in home. I first had weird furniture placement to keep a neutral wall behind me.Then later, I had an old divider behind me finally, but it was having issues, and I'm very glad to have replaced it. I planned to repair it but haven't gotten to it yet, so now I have two, one in good repair and one that is yet to repair.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Katla - hope the new lenses don’t take long arriving.
    My husband makes me laugh and is the best at doing it when I’ve had the worst days.

My grandchildren, including the grand puppy all make me laugh.

The last full out laugh I remember was when my brother told me the nursing home had finally figured out how Mom was gaining so much weight.

My brother had taken care of Mom for 4 years before she went into the home and for the last 2 years of that had to prepare and deliver all her meals. Through diet alone he helped my Mom lose 60lbs and went from 4 insulin shots per day, I don’t know how many metformin to no insulin and only 1 pill a day. She was also off of BP meds. In the last few months Mom has gained a lot of weight and now needs to be on insulin again. Of course, he is put out about this and feels the nursing home wasn’t taking proper care and rightly so.
    So he finds out that Mom, who has been an insomniac my whole life, has a new roommate who is also an insomniac. Mom’s new friends has been sneaking down to the kitchen throughout the night and getting them treats and food.
    I laughed about it, because it reminded me of being a child and sneaking food in the middle of the night, but also working in a home I know just how smart these seniors are. My favourite resident that passed on Christmas Day, would buy chocolate bars, chips, pop whatever and then give it to the diabetics that wanted it. It took us a while to catch onto that one.

Ginny - I stayed up too late watching your tv last night too.
    Michele - my husband has sleep apnea, be absolutely refuses to believe me and won’t be seen. I’ll have to tell him about this.
    We had a friend die in his early twenties from sleep apnea, his fiancée had left for the weekend to go buy her trousseau. They were waiting for surgery for him to try to lessen the apnea. It was said that he had a heart attack.
    I have been thinking of my Grandmother’s doughnuts for a couple days. I don’t know if I could handle making them with the pain in my back and if I could handle that who would eat them all. I just want a couple or three!😂

Tracey in Edmonton

That story about the person stealing food makes me laugh (not out loud, but almost). Though it's horrible for their health there is something cute (right word?) and maybe empowering about them getting what they want for health.
    I was up in early morning online and then 2nd waking is long and slow!

I hope your DH looks into the apnea; I know a few people who need to wear those Darth Vader machines at night, including my sister. it's weird but better than the alternative.

gramma's cooking! could you make a mini-batch of just 3 donuts when your back is up to it?
    ----

some delivery coming now Ikea I think: mostly kitchen stuff and cushions for the sofa bed.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💙🟢💜🟣
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK ❤️