Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Lisa - .You are right, but it's not the dog itself that I'm not fond of. I think they require a huge amount of commitment and very much curtail your life. Plus I am not fond of the way most owners treat their dogs. A good dog is a well trained dog and I don't approve of the over indulgence most people give their pets. I admire a good working dog and I am not fond of barkers. :# Having said all that, I will have to grit my teeth around Nelly, not interfere, and I will probably fall in love with her. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Heather

What kind of dog is Nelly? She sure is cute!

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    I texted my son for reliable information.
    He says she is an Australian Labradoodle and she is 10 weeks old. :D She certainly is cute.

The grandchildren will be going back to school on Monday.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    (((Allie:))) I hope they will get things right with this surgery. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :heart:

Heather: When we got our current dog, we signed up for an obedience class. It was a great way to begin training. The humans in that class learned how to teach their dogs to behave appropriately. Our pup, now an old dog, has been a much better companion because the class taught us how to teach him. I hope your son’s family is able to find good class for themselves & their new pup. :star: Barbara Woodhouse was a marvelous English woman who taught people how to train their own dogs. I loved watching her show on public broadcasting. :flowerforyou:

:star: I talked to the pharmacy where we get our medicines this morning. They will be administering CoVid vaccines, but they don’t know when there will be vaccines available. It is frustrating. :grumble:

:star: I tripped and fell a few days ago, and broke one of my glasses lenses. I have been to the eye doctor and there are new lenses on order. I will be thrilled when I am able to see the small type once again.

:star: Right now our weather is glorious. We have blue skies and fluffy clouds in the distance. It is beautiful. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Another Getting to Know You question ...

What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?

On what topic?

Machka in Oz

I could give an impromptu 40 minute presentation on a number of things as that’s what I did for years as a teacher. I often did off the cuff presentations on request for the various groups I lead, especially demos for my art group on requested topics.

However, as someone who has sat through innumerable long presentations, I prefer to go for several shorter more focused ones.

Heather: I love learning new things, and can tend towards butterfly tendencies, flitting from one thing to the next. However, last year I made the decision to have a depth year, and focus on developing and deepening my current knowledge areas, and stop my interminable search for novelty. I’m still learning new things every day.

I think my depth year may develop into a depth decade. 😂
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Lisa - .You are right, but it's not the dog itself that I'm not fond of. I think they require a huge amount of commitment and very much curtail your life. Plus I am not fond of the way most owners treat their dogs. A good dog is a well trained dog and I don't approve of the over indulgence most people give their pets. I admire a good working dog and I am not fond of barkers. :# Having said all that, I will have to grit my teeth around Nelly, not interfere, and I will probably fall in love with her. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I agree with this. I don't like dogs that bark, jump on me, or lick me and unfortunately, most do all of those things. Plus, they are just too needy for me. No dogs for us either.

Tina
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Good morning again
    Well got the news that they will have to do open heart surgery again so theres that

Oh Allie! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 that the surgeon has nimble fingers and superior medical knowledge. (((Hugs)))
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Hugs Allie, I pray that the docs will get in there, and make you feel better!
    💖 Rebecca
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Just quick -
    Nelly is adorable
    Allie - hope they are able to make this quick

Could I do a 40 minute presentation - SURE! On gardening, cooking, herbal crafts.,,,,,

Michele - I agree with Heather, the water content in the burgers was the problem.

Kim
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Good morning again
    Well got the news that they will have to do open heart surgery again so theres that

I'm so sorry. (((hugs)))
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    40 minute presentation without preparation..

Several different types of how to talks... best way to organize your kitchen, decluttering strategies, pretty much any high school math topic, how to write a good sermon, different strategies for losing weight and what has and hasn’t worked for me, teaching strategies to engage the students, my personal faith testimony, just to name a few.

If you really wanted it to be interesting and worth someone’s time to listen, it would be better if I had some prep time.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Another Getting to Know You question ...

What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?

On what topic?

Machka in Oz

However, as someone who has sat through innumerable long presentations, I prefer to go for several shorter more focused ones.

Heather: I love learning new things, and can tend towards butterfly tendencies, flitting from one thing to the next. However, last year I made the decision to have a depth year, and focus on developing and deepening my current knowledge areas, and stop my interminable search for novelty. I’m still learning new things every day.

I think my depth year may develop into a depth decade. 😂

I have my students do 5 minute presentations. Then we have abundant discussion time if possible if the subject incites discussion (often but not always). I much prefer discussion, to long presentations most of the time.

I also have many things I've learned a bit and would prefer, for the most part, to delve into some I've started, and not been able to continue than, start a new one:
    continuing-
    acoustic guitar
    learning Italian
    my level is very vary basic in both and I quite enjoy both.

Otherwise, learning new cooking approaches continues to appeal to me.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    itchy eyes. feels a slightly allergic. I bought a protein bar with peanut flavour and a sugar free hazelnut chocolat spread. it could be the latter...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie so sorry to hear
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Allie ... I am so very sorry you need more surgery? The pain in your chest ... did you tear some of the staples in your sternum? I will be praying along with everyone else that this surgery is swift and sure.

Makes me Laugh ... my younger son, my mom with her dry wit, the local police blotter (seriously, it's hysterical what people report), if I'm in the right mood ... just about anything.

40 Minute Presentation ... I am not an expert on anything. I have life experiences, but they're hardly worth making people sit through a 40 minute presentation. I think most attention spans are less than that. Always reminds me of my Grandfather who used to hold up his watch when the minister went over 20 minutes. If it couldn't be said in 20 minutes it wasn't worth saying ...

Heather ... the puppy is a cutie and yes, their lives will change with her presence.

Katla ...puppy training is not directed at the puppy ... the owners are the ones being trained!

Beth near Buffalo
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Well i did walk a couple of times a day.. havd to keep stuff from building up
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Kim and Heather – it’s just strange that this batch of turkey breast had more water in it than any other batch that I’ve gotten. I thought of water, but the meat wasn’t frozen. It least not when I bought it. Well....it's over now.

Michele NC