Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Keto or Not To Keto?

Replies

• lynn1
    lynn1 Posts: 20 Member
    When I was doing KetoI lost good! I’m going back on it! I actually gave Sunday lunches as my cheat meal.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    When one has health issues that resolve on keto and getting off they start returning it is something we circle back to naturally.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    @lemurcat2 I agree with most of it and that is how I perceive dieting.
    Then the question is why you say don't diet, because diets fail... Then you talk about calorie counting and calorie deficit. That is dieting. It's confusing sorry.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    gigius72 wrote: »
    Then the question is why you say don't diet, because diets fail... Then you talk about calorie counting and calorie deficit. That is dieting. It's confusing sorry.

?? Why I said that? Don't think I did.

IMO, people who say "don't diet, because dieting fails" are missing the point. The question is whether one has a sustainable plan for maintenance, which one can, however one loses the weight.
  • gigius72
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

?? Why I said that? Don't think I did.

IMO, people who say "don't diet, because dieting fails" are missing the point. The question is whether one has a sustainable plan for maintenance, which one can, however one loses the weight.

Lol I knew you would have asked me that. Sorry it's easier in Latin languages, we have an interpersonal subject to make a general discussion.
    I didn't mean you as in you, infact the question was towards a person who said that. I meant you as in who has said that in this community.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    Not that it matters, and your English is great, but I'd have said either:

(1) Then why do people commonly say "don't diet, because dieting fails" and then go on to recommend calorie counting; or perhaps (but less good, it just is an interpersonal subject), (2) Why would one say "don't diet, because dieting fails" and then go on to recommend calorie counting.

That's assuming I am now understanding properly! ;-)
  • gigius72
    @lemurcat2 thanks. I like the second example. I'll start using it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Everything I hear is either "OMGGGGG you must go Keto, I lost a bazillion pounds!"

Or it's "Don't go keto. The minute you eat anything not keto, you gain SO much weight."

It does not matter. What matters is hitting a consistent calorie deficit and meeting your micro and macros requirement.

If KETO helps you do that, then go for it. I am not a fan of methods that eliminate a whole macro on the basis that it is bad, but that is just me...
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    If keto helps for medical issues or dietary adherence then that's great

Again I'm not one for vertually eliminating a whole food group
    Also from a physique perspective your look terrible if remotely lean
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    watts6151 wrote: »

You certainly look flat on keto. But you can always run CKD to help address that. Or a program like UD2.
  • watts6151
    edited February 2021
    psuLemon wrote: »

You certainly look flat on keto. But you can always run CKD to help address that. Or a program like UD2.

From a personal standard point CKD is no where near enough carbs to make me look remotely good

Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg

Carb binge and over spilled 48 hours later
    zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Preference by the user. However I've NOT YET met a person personally who lost weight on keto and kept it off after going back to trying to eat normal foods again. Initially it's almost impossible because as soon as carbs are reintroduced to the body, weight will shoot up a few pounds because of water and glycogen retention. And this can freak them out where they either jump back on keto immediately, or get depressed at the weight gain and give in and overeat again.
    ANY DIET PROGRAM should be a total lifestyle change they INTEND TO KEEP DOING. Not just to lose weight. It's why there are so many out there that lose and regain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ALL DIETS work if you follow their programs correctly and consistently. It's when you go off them that they don't work. Personally I tell all my clients NOT to diet. I tell them to use this app and count calories and be consistent. I look at their diaries and we tweek things up when they aren't progressing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Honest question. Isn't calorie counting the main definition of dieting?
    If you are carnivore, wfpb, keto, Mediterranean I see it as a lifestyle that you follow forever and you don't count calories.
    Well no because there's NO DESIGNATION of what foods to eat. You could eat crappy food that is low nutrition that wouldn't support your health and still lose/gain/maintain weight dependent on how you counted the calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• watts6151

From a personal standard point CKD is no where near enough carbs to make me look remotely good

Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg

zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg

Don't disagree. I somehow don't think most people are gonna have your physique.

Just pointing out the difference carbs can make to to a physique.
    Personally I look like crap in both pictures, from my point of view obviously
  • ninerbuff

Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg

zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg

Don't disagree. I somehow don't think most people are gonna have your physique.
    Funny. When I used to compete back in the day (80's) we had no access to multiple OPINIONS on carb depletion, carb loading before contests. There were a couple I did where I looked completely flat and then 2 days after the mandatory after contest binge (for me it was pizza and ice cream) I looked way better and of course felt way better.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png