Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

To Keto or Not To Keto?

1235712

Replies

  • lynn1lynn1 Member Posts: 16 Member Member Posts: 16 Member
    When I was doing KetoI lost good! I’m going back on it! I actually gave Sunday lunches as my cheat meal.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970Megan_smartiepants1970 Member, Premium Posts: 20,094 Member Member, Premium Posts: 20,094 Member
    I took a break from keto and was eating potatoes ,rice and such and was dealing with headaches/migraines often so on January 1st I decided to go back on keto and the headaches/migraines vanished :)
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Member Posts: 8,051 Member Member Posts: 8,051 Member
    When one has health issues that resolve on keto and getting off they start returning it is something we circle back to naturally.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,098 Member Member Posts: 7,098 Member
    gigius72 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ALL DIETS work if you follow their programs correctly and consistently. It's when you go off them that they don't work. Personally I tell all my clients NOT to diet. I tell them to use this app and count calories and be consistent. I look at their diaries and we tweek things up when they aren't progressing.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Honest question. Isn't calorie counting the main definition of dieting?
    If you are carnivore, wfpb, keto, Mediterranean I see it as a lifestyle that you follow forever and you don't count calories.

    No, I think dieting (being on a diet) is intentionally eating fewer cals than you burn, however you achieve it. One can obviously do that without calorie counting.

    One's diet is the way one eats, whether one is trying to lose, gain, maintain, or not thinking about it at all. One can follow the keto diet in this way, or as an attempt to diet, or--as is commonly the case--both. For many, it may be necessary to count (or otherwise control) cals to lose weight even when following a named diet, although for others it may create a deficit (which is what people hope when not counting cals and instead adopting one of these ways of eating in order to diet).

    Also, one can adopt a diet for a while without following it forever just out of curiosity or because you think you might like it or feel better on it.

    I would not say keto, wfpb, med, carnivore, etc. are "lifestyles," as presumably there is a lot more to one's lifestyle than the diet they follow. You can talk of a blue zones or Med lifestyle (although the latter seems dumb to me as the Mediterranean region is so varied and culturally different), by which what is normally meant are the things the various blue zones supposedly have in common: "exercise regularly [I would add in a lower impact kind of way, like lots of walking in daily life], drink moderate amounts of alcohol, get enough sleep and have good spiritual, family and social network." That's from a Healthline article, but it's consistent with what I've seen claimed a lot.

    My lifestyle certainly has more to do with my work life, friendships, family, spiritual life, activity level and type, sleep, hobbies/what I do when not working/interests, where and how I physically live (location, weather, type of space, cluttered vs neat), and and various other sources of stress or positive mental states vs. just what I eat/drink.
    edited January 30
  • gigius72gigius72 Member Posts: 183 Member Member Posts: 183 Member
    @lemurcat2 I agree with most of it and that is how I perceive dieting.
    Then the question is why you say don't diet, because diets fail... Then you talk about calorie counting and calorie deficit. That is dieting. It's confusing sorry.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,098 Member Member Posts: 7,098 Member
    gigius72 wrote: »
    @lemurcat2 I agree with most of it and that is how I perceive dieting.
    Then the question is why you say don't diet, because diets fail... Then you talk about calorie counting and calorie deficit. That is dieting. It's confusing sorry.

    ?? Why I said that? Don't think I did.

    IMO, people who say "don't diet, because dieting fails" are missing the point. The question is whether one has a sustainable plan for maintenance, which one can, however one loses the weight.
  • gigius72gigius72 Member Posts: 183 Member Member Posts: 183 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    @lemurcat2 I agree with most of it and that is how I perceive dieting.
    Then the question is why you say don't diet, because diets fail... Then you talk about calorie counting and calorie deficit. That is dieting. It's confusing sorry.

    ?? Why I said that? Don't think I did.

    IMO, people who say "don't diet, because dieting fails" are missing the point. The question is whether one has a sustainable plan for maintenance, which one can, however one loses the weight.

    Lol I knew you would have asked me that. Sorry it's easier in Latin languages, we have an interpersonal subject to make a general discussion.
    I didn't mean you as in you, infact the question was towards a person who said that. I meant you as in who has said that in this community.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,098 Member Member Posts: 7,098 Member
    Not that it matters, and your English is great, but I'd have said either:

    (1) Then why do people commonly say "don't diet, because dieting fails" and then go on to recommend calorie counting; or perhaps (but less good, it just is an interpersonal subject), (2) Why would one say "don't diet, because dieting fails" and then go on to recommend calorie counting.

    That's assuming I am now understanding properly! ;-)
    edited January 30
  • gigius72gigius72 Member Posts: 183 Member Member Posts: 183 Member
    @lemurcat2 thanks. I like the second example. I'll start using it.
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Member Posts: 8,051 Member Member Posts: 8,051 Member
  • ndj1979ndj1979 Member Posts: 29,148 Member Member Posts: 29,148 Member
    Everything I hear is either "OMGGGGG you must go Keto, I lost a bazillion pounds!"

    Or it's "Don't go keto. The minute you eat anything not keto, you gain SO much weight."

    It does not matter. What matters is hitting a consistent calorie deficit and meeting your micro and macros requirement.

    If KETO helps you do that, then go for it. I am not a fan of methods that eliminate a whole macro on the basis that it is bad, but that is just me...
  • watts6151watts6151 Member, Premium Posts: 804 Member Member, Premium Posts: 804 Member
    If keto helps for medical issues or dietary adherence then that's great

    Again I'm not one for vertually eliminating a whole food group
    Also from a physique perspective your look terrible if remotely lean
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,310 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,310 MFP Moderator
    watts6151 wrote: »
    If keto helps for medical issues or dietary adherence then that's great

    Again I'm not one for vertually eliminating a whole food group
    Also from a physique perspective your look terrible if remotely lean

    You certainly look flat on keto. But you can always run CKD to help address that. Or a program like UD2.
  • watts6151watts6151 Member, Premium Posts: 804 Member Member, Premium Posts: 804 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    If keto helps for medical issues or dietary adherence then that's great

    Again I'm not one for vertually eliminating a whole food group
    Also from a physique perspective your look terrible if remotely lean

    You certainly look flat on keto. But you can always run CKD to help address that. Or a program like UD2.

    From a personal standard point CKD is no where near enough carbs to make me look remotely good

    Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg


    Carb binge and over spilled 48 hours later
    zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg
    edited February 1
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,779 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,779 Member
    Preference by the user. However I've NOT YET met a person personally who lost weight on keto and kept it off after going back to trying to eat normal foods again. Initially it's almost impossible because as soon as carbs are reintroduced to the body, weight will shoot up a few pounds because of water and glycogen retention. And this can freak them out where they either jump back on keto immediately, or get depressed at the weight gain and give in and overeat again.
    ANY DIET PROGRAM should be a total lifestyle change they INTEND TO KEEP DOING. Not just to lose weight. It's why there are so many out there that lose and regain.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,779 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,779 Member
    gigius72 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ALL DIETS work if you follow their programs correctly and consistently. It's when you go off them that they don't work. Personally I tell all my clients NOT to diet. I tell them to use this app and count calories and be consistent. I look at their diaries and we tweek things up when they aren't progressing.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Honest question. Isn't calorie counting the main definition of dieting?
    If you are carnivore, wfpb, keto, Mediterranean I see it as a lifestyle that you follow forever and you don't count calories.
    Well no because there's NO DESIGNATION of what foods to eat. You could eat crappy food that is low nutrition that wouldn't support your health and still lose/gain/maintain weight dependent on how you counted the calories.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • watts6151watts6151 Member, Premium Posts: 804 Member Member, Premium Posts: 804 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    If keto helps for medical issues or dietary adherence then that's great

    Again I'm not one for vertually eliminating a whole food group
    Also from a physique perspective your look terrible if remotely lean

    You certainly look flat on keto. But you can always run CKD to help address that. Or a program like UD2.

    From a personal standard point CKD is no where near enough carbs to make me look remotely good

    Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg


    Carb binge and over spilled 48 hours later
    zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg

    Don't disagree. I somehow don't think most people are gonna have your physique.

    Just pointing out the difference carbs can make to to a physique.
    Personally I look like crap in both pictures, from my point of view obviously
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,779 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,779 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    If keto helps for medical issues or dietary adherence then that's great

    Again I'm not one for vertually eliminating a whole food group
    Also from a physique perspective your look terrible if remotely lean

    You certainly look flat on keto. But you can always run CKD to help address that. Or a program like UD2.

    From a personal standard point CKD is no where near enough carbs to make me look remotely good

    Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg


    Carb binge and over spilled 48 hours later
    zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg

    Don't disagree. I somehow don't think most people are gonna have your physique.
    Funny. When I used to compete back in the day (80's) we had no access to multiple OPINIONS on carb depletion, carb loading before contests. There were a couple I did where I looked completely flat and then 2 days after the mandatory after contest binge (for me it was pizza and ice cream) I looked way better and of course felt way better.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

Sign In or Register to comment.