lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 and @cwolfman13 I respect both your replies pointing out how the surgeon general is part of an administration and is therefore not apolitical. But, the other part of the original comment, which I also addressed, was how the 15 days to slow the spread did not "come from Fauci". As I quoted above, at the same approximate point in time, Fauci was stating "several weeks". In the overcall experience we have had, the 15 days of the surgeon general vs the several weeks stated by Fauci were equally wrong.

One of the big issues here is that we weren't even able to see what two weeks or several weeks of an actual lockdown would do. Everything was left to individual states. There were states who never shut anything down at all...others put in minimal restrictions...others shut down, but very quickly opened everything back up to almost normal. That's like having a special area of the swimming pool that it's ok to pee in. The only way anything like two weeks or several weeks would have worked is if everyone was on the same page and doing the same thing. This is pretty evident just by observing other countries that have effectively controlled the virus.

Also, if you remember back to March and the two week plan or the CDC and Fauci saying it would be longer...part of all of that was slow, phased opening up...which should have also been an indication to people that restrictions would go on considerably longer. Honestly, if anyone legitimately thought it would be a couple of weeks or several weeks and then we'd just be back to pre COVID life, I would have to question if they were actually paying attention to what was happening in the world around them.

There wasn't even a phased opening in many states...and even more states that were opening in phases, but not really following any kind of guideline as to what should or would be open in any given phase of re-opening.

There is a reason that the USA leads the world in COVID positivity rates...there is a reason other countries have been able to control the virus...

While all valid, my original post was simply in response to someone (don't recall who) stating that they never heard any two weeks statement, so I showed the surgeon general and the 15 days to slow the spread announced last March to show that there was something (not whether it was good or bad).

Then people said, well that statement was not from a scientist like Fauci. So I showed Fauci said fairly similar around the same time. My posts all have roots in the single original comment about never hearing of a "two week" plan.

It was 2 weeks to "slow the spread" not END the spread. We were supposed to be flattening the curve so resources would not be overwhelmed by a sudden, massive spike of infections. It was supposed to give us time to prepare for the coming onslaught. Although the time seemed to be squandered... Did anyone really say or even think it would be over in 2 weeks?

The only person telling us it would magically completely disappear soon was the president. I can see how people who believed his statements would be disappointed when the pandemic kept going...

I'm not sure you can say that Fauci's comment was "equally wrong" since he said it would be several weeks with restrictions in place to get things under control. Since we never actually had anything consistent and coordinated in place, we can't actually know if he would have been right or wrong. We never did the things he told us we needed to do.

And if you back and read the Fauci quotes in this thread, making sure to read all the text around what was bolded, he was actually saying "at least several weeks" and "several weeks or longer."

True, but if I were have a repair done and the contractor stated servers weeks or longer back mid-March, I would expect it to be complete by some point in May.

But it wouldn't be the first time the contractor had seen that project before and they would've been able to see your budget, plans, and home before estimating a time frame. They'd be able to talk to you directly without having their plan and priorities filtered through the government, press, and social media. And they wouldn't have to worry about you getting in their way the whole time, stealing their tools, and sometimes refusing to let them into your house while having parties that broke apart work they'd already completed.

I've been disappointed by a lot in "several weeks" contractor estimates too, although granted never has it meant "a year or more." Back when I was in a condo, we had our roof redone, and then I had my roof deck redone, and it was supposed to be "several weeks" as of April, and due to weather (rainy spring/summer) plus a lot of people who were ahead of us who also had their jobs pushed back or that took longer than expected, I think ours got done in August.

I guess several is vague enough that it was still several weeks (I actually think originally it was "a few weeks").

That said, I did think from the beginning it was a very uncertain period of time, and people were talking about a second wave from early on too.

Well, that shoots down my theory that IRL you're Murphy Brown.

gtktz5jz6f6t.png

Edited to delete the second iteration of the image.

LOL, I love this.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'll get the vaccine when my turn comes, but I can't say I'm too unhappy about being in the last priority (general public) group, because going into an enclosed space with dozens or scores of people lined up and waiting will be pretty much the highest-risk thing I've done since the pandemic began, except maybe for giving blood, but I'm expecting the waiting areas for the vaccine to have a lot more people in them than a blood drive. I'm not eager for the irony of getting covid while waiting in line for the vaccine.

Hopefully by the time my turn comes, we won't be in a surge, we won't be facing a brand new mutation that is creating greater transmission, and the effect of all the earlier priority groups getting vaccinated will be tamping down on the spread (assuming that at least some of the vaccines limit the recipients' ability to spread the vaccine).

Maybe it's not happening in your area, but at least some of the local vaccination sites seem to be gearing up for drive-though, so you wait in a *longer* line (in distance, not necessarily number of people), but in your car.

This is true even with our Northern winters (freezing temps, so 32 +/- 10, daytimes, right now, but can go to zero F and below).

In some cases, from photos seen, the medical folks are in a tent. Others seem to be talking about using buildings that have a drive-through route that's normally used for things event set-up or vehicle service. Examples are livestock exhibition fairgrounds-type structures, big conference facilities, former auto-service buildings.

Not vax, but I was impressed with the organization and sanitation measures at a drive-through Covid test I took in the Fall, required before I could do an important outpatient surgical procedure.

I'd be much more comfortable with a drive-through scenario, and there has been talk about that locally, and it makes sense from the standpoint of reaching the volume of jabs they want to reach. But I kept thinking of all the news footage we saw they first rolled the vaccine out for health care workers, and there were a dozen or so people sitting in socially distanced chairs, with nearly as many people tending to them, and they were being asked to stay for observation for 5 or 10 minutes, and longer if they had a history of allergic reactions to vaccines.

FWIW, and I should've mentioned this in my first comment about the drive throughs: What I've heard from folks is that after one has the vax, they have you park in a designated area for the 15 minute (or whatever) waiting period, and a medical staff person is nearby, keeping an eye on the people in the cars in case of allergic reactions.

The health care staff people getting vaccinations have probably been working around the same people giving them vaccinations for months now, and probably at times in closer proximity to the vaccinators, for longer time intervals, during work than during the vaccination process. It's a whole different scenario.

(I have seen stuff about indoor in-person vaccination scenarios for the general public, though - not really enough to generalize about conditions, though.)

ETA: Fix to incorrectly included quote. 😬

Thanks. That sounds like a good approach. I hope that's they way they do it here as they move out to larger parts of the public. (So far, even though they're doing a good job of getting all the vaccine doses they receive into people's arms quickly, it's still less than 2% of the county population, assuming they've all been administered as first doses -- so, less than 1% of the number of doses they would need to fully vaccinate everyone.)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I admit to not reading everything here and all around the internet related to Covid, but I'm wondering if there are any stats out yet, regarding side effects from getting Covid vaccines? I hear stories here and there, positive and negative, but am wondering if there's anything with greater numbers involved. Maybe too early to tell?
    Thanks all :)

Anecdotal, but my Dad (76) got the Moderna vaccine on Wed. He said he got some chills that night, and the injection site was a little sore the next day. That was it. He's doing fine.

Not related to Reenie's post but I'm in northeastern TN, and Dad got vaxed Wed thanks to serendipity. The local health dept still has no vaccine (it's been 15 days since they ran out on the first day of 75+, which is weird b/c we have a lot of anti-vaxxers here). But a FB friend who works at the VA hospital posted about a Veteran's vaccine clinic. Dad went and was in and out in 15 min.

This is an example of one of the problems. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Dad IS on the VA's Covid Vaccine email notification list. He never got one. The local papers and news don't know about it. If I hadn't logged into FB, and the VA nurse hadn't posted a link, Dad would still be waiting. He gets the second one Feb 28th. This is great news for my oldest who is starting her second semester of her freshman year and has a service learning class for her Honors scholarship which will occasionally be meeting in person (masked and distanced.) I would prefer to not expose the other kids and my husband, but she is a very conscientious young woman and will be very careful to maintain distance and mask properly. As it is, it will be the fall before the rest of us get ours most likely.

305 days of mostly locked down. I'm so tired mentally. Community spread is still bad here. Hubby said mask compliance was worse than it's been in awhile yesterday when he went grocerying. Locally, people have learned nothing apparently. :disappointed: I know my husband's family hasn't. It's sad when insisting on living your lifestyle undeterred by a pandemic is more important than spending time with your grandkids.

One of my employees who’s been remoting in since April texted me this weekend ... She has auto-immune issues which make her more vulnerable to the virus. Her bf’s family is very touchy-feely and has been throughout the whole thing in spite of her protests “But we’re FAMILY!” When my staffer and her bf stopped going over because no masks/physical distancing and surprise guests, the family started coming to them. 🤬

Bf was positive as of Friday. She now has symptoms (one bedroom apartment). And his mom is in the hospital due to COVID. 😢

Oh boy! I hope she's ok. That's unfortunate about the bf's mom. :disappointed:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I'll get the vaccine when my turn comes, but I can't say I'm too unhappy about being in the last priority (general public) group, because going into an enclosed space with dozens or scores of people lined up and waiting will be pretty much the highest-risk thing I've done since the pandemic began, except maybe for giving blood, but I'm expecting the waiting areas for the vaccine to have a lot more people in them than a blood drive. I'm not eager for the irony of getting covid while waiting in line for the vaccine.

Hopefully by the time my turn comes, we won't be in a surge, we won't be facing a brand new mutation that is creating greater transmission, and the effect of all the earlier priority groups getting vaccinated will be tamping down on the spread (assuming that at least some of the vaccines limit the recipients' ability to spread the vaccine).

Maybe it's not happening in your area, but at least some of the local vaccination sites seem to be gearing up for drive-though, so you wait in a *longer* line (in distance, not necessarily number of people), but in your car.

This is true even with our Northern winters (freezing temps, so 32 +/- 10, daytimes, right now, but can go to zero F and below).

In some cases, from photos seen, the medical folks are in a tent. Others seem to be talking about using buildings that have a drive-through route that's normally used for things event set-up or vehicle service. Examples are livestock exhibition fairgrounds-type structures, big conference facilities, former auto-service buildings.

Not vax, but I was impressed with the organization and sanitation measures at a drive-through Covid test I took in the Fall, required before I could do an important outpatient surgical procedure.

I'd be much more comfortable with a drive-through scenario, and there has been talk about that locally, and it makes sense from the standpoint of reaching the volume of jabs they want to reach. But I kept thinking of all the news footage we saw they first rolled the vaccine out for health care workers, and there were a dozen or so people sitting in socially distanced chairs, with nearly as many people tending to them, and they were being asked to stay for observation for 5 or 10 minutes, and longer if they had a history of allergic reactions to vaccines.

FWIW, and I should've mentioned this in my first comment about the drive throughs: What I've heard from folks is that after one has the vax, they have you park in a designated area for the 15 minute (or whatever) waiting period, and a medical staff person is nearby, keeping an eye on the people in the cars in case of allergic reactions.

The health care staff people getting vaccinations have probably been working around the same people giving them vaccinations for months now, and probably at times in closer proximity to the vaccinators, for longer time intervals, during work than during the vaccination process. It's a whole different scenario.

(I have seen stuff about indoor in-person vaccination scenarios for the general public, though - not really enough to generalize about conditions, though.)

Thanks. That sounds like a good approach. I hope that's they way they do it here as they move out to larger parts of the public. (So far, even though they're doing a good job of getting all the vaccine doses they receive into people's arms quickly, it's still less than 2% of the county population, assuming they've all been administered as first doses -- so, less than 1% of the number of doses they would need to fully vaccinate everyone.)

This isn't exactly a direct reply to you, but, yeah, samesies, though I don't know the percentages.

I got an email update today from my county health department (where I'm signed up to be notified when appointments are available). The heart of it:
    This email is to inform you that either we do not currently have open appointments for your priority group OR your prioritization group is not yet eligible . Please rest assured we will be in touch as soon as your priority group and available appointments allow. We appreciate your patience.

When I signed up, I checked the 65+ box, but didn't claim complicating medical conditions. I have early COPD, but since it's not creating any life limitations (I'm still able to do quite-intense exercise, for example), I don't feel like I should be bumped up much in priority for that, compared to others at higher risk. As more has come out about risk factors, I'm less convinced that Covid would be likely to kill me (long-term complications, maybe), so I figure I'm OK to be at the priority for other healthy 65+. Ya never know, of course . . . and I'm still doing many things to limit my exposure.

Meanwhile, I heard this morning that my state (Michigan) has gotten a waiver to reallocate doses from the supply held by pharmacies for congregate facilities (where they have more supply than demand/distribution capacity currently) to the supply available to continue providing dose #1 to the eligible segment of the public (where demand has outpaced supply). I'm not 100% certain this is solid: It came from a usually-sound mainstream media source, but so far I haven't found other sources that corroborate (not even a press release from the state, which makes me wonder if it's accurate).
  • AnnPT77
    FWIW, just got this very specific update on Facebook, from a local friend
    Just got my first vaccine at XXXBuildingXXX. Tips for those of you who will be going:. It took about 40 min total - very well organized! Enter off YYY Road near the XXXBuildingXXX sign where there's a yellow diamond sign with the words "event parking" on it, and drive around back to the garage, where people with airport wand will direct you. No restrooms. They'll ask which arm you want it in and schedule you for your second vaccine - easy peezy! You cannot have had any other vaccines within 14 days.

The XXXBuildingXXX is a very large, cavernous facility used for livestock shows and other large events, with several very large garage-type overhead doors along each of 3 sides, big enough to accommodate things like earth-moving equipment and large multi-horse/cow livestock transporters.

Name of building, road edited by me for slight anonymizing value.

Friend suggested bringing own pen for forms. I asked her about monitoring for allergic reactions, she said yes, 15 minutes in car, another friend added that it can be longer if needed.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I admit to not reading everything here and all around the internet related to Covid, but I'm wondering if there are any stats out yet, regarding side effects from getting Covid vaccines? I hear stories here and there, positive and negative, but am wondering if there's anything with greater numbers involved. Maybe too early to tell?
    Thanks all :)

Anecdotal, but my Dad (76) got the Moderna vaccine on Wed. He said he got some chills that night, and the injection site was a little sore the next day. That was it. He's doing fine.

Not related to Reenie's post but I'm in northeastern TN, and Dad got vaxed Wed thanks to serendipity. The local health dept still has no vaccine (it's been 15 days since they ran out on the first day of 75+, which is weird b/c we have a lot of anti-vaxxers here). But a FB friend who works at the VA hospital posted about a Veteran's vaccine clinic. Dad went and was in and out in 15 min.

This is an example of one of the problems. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Dad IS on the VA's Covid Vaccine email notification list. He never got one. The local papers and news don't know about it. If I hadn't logged into FB, and the VA nurse hadn't posted a link, Dad would still be waiting. He gets the second one Feb 28th. This is great news for my oldest who is starting her second semester of her freshman year and has a service learning class for her Honors scholarship which will occasionally be meeting in person (masked and distanced.) I would prefer to not expose the other kids and my husband, but she is a very conscientious young woman and will be very careful to maintain distance and mask properly. As it is, it will be the fall before the rest of us get ours most likely.

305 days of mostly locked down. I'm so tired mentally. Community spread is still bad here. Hubby said mask compliance was worse than it's been in awhile yesterday when he went grocerying. Locally, people have learned nothing apparently. :disappointed: I know my husband's family hasn't. It's sad when insisting on living your lifestyle undeterred by a pandemic is more important than spending time with your grandkids.

One of my employees who’s been remoting in since April texted me this weekend ... She has auto-immune issues which make her more vulnerable to the virus. Her bf’s family is very touchy-feely and has been throughout the whole thing in spite of her protests “But we’re FAMILY!” When my staffer and her bf stopped going over because no masks/physical distancing and surprise guests, the family started coming to them. 🤬

Bf was positive as of Friday. She now has symptoms (one bedroom apartment). And his mom is in the hospital due to COVID. 😢

Oh boy! I hope she's ok. That's unfortunate about the bf's mom. :disappointed:

Thanks. She feels worse today. 😞 Because she is 100% remote, campus is not managing her and her insurance won’t test her yet!? (Not the first time I’ve heard that.) We are blessed with additional paid COVID-specific leave from the campus, so she’ll use that and save her accrued leave.

We’re doing a drop-off of stuff tomorrow at her apartment.
  • AnnPT77

This isn't exactly a direct reply to you, but, yeah, samesies, though I don't know the percentages.

I got an email update today from my county health department (where I'm signed up to be notified when appointments are available). The heart of it:
    This email is to inform you that either we do not currently have open appointments for your priority group OR your prioritization group is not yet eligible . Please rest assured we will be in touch as soon as your priority group and available appointments allow. We appreciate your patience.

When I signed up, I checked the 65+ box, but didn't claim complicating medical conditions. I have early COPD, but since it's not creating any life limitations (I'm still able to do quite-intense exercise, for example), I don't feel like I should be bumped up much in priority for that, compared to others at higher risk. As more has come out about risk factors, I'm less convinced that Covid would be likely to kill me (long-term complications, maybe), so I figure I'm OK to be at the priority for other healthy 65+. Ya never know, of course . . . and I'm still doing many things to limit my exposure.

Meanwhile, I heard this morning that my state (Michigan) has gotten a waiver to reallocate doses from the supply held by pharmacies for congregate facilities (where they have more supply than demand/distribution capacity currently) to the supply available to continue providing dose #1 to the eligible segment of the public (where demand has outpaced supply). I'm not 100% certain this is solid: It came from a usually-sound mainstream media source, but so far I haven't found other sources that corroborate (not even a press release from the state, which makes me wonder if it's accurate).

Anything’s possible. But I would think the logistics could get tricky as both vaccines have a rather short shelf life after they’re thawed (and can’t be refrozen). And there are multiple doses per vial. Hope so—it’d be great to be able to redistribute doses to where they’re most needed.

Our campus on-site staff are next in line for vaccination. My appointment is this Friday. So excited! It’s been sheer luck that I haven’t gotten sick so far. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 I’m careful, but around so many people. And I deliver stuff to people in quarantine and isolation.

It's not a few random doses sitting around unadministered somewhere, it's 60,000 doses being reallocated to start . . . happening way up the supply chain, still frozen. I finally found some reports on it, such as:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/coronavirus/michigan-dip-covid-19-vaccine-bank-double-expected-vaccine-supply
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Our vaccine delivery from Pfizer is behind here in Italy. Promises, promises from Pfizer......