WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Feeling very happy this morning. Daughter has texted that she is feeling much better and has no fever this morning. She is sure she was just having a reaction to the vaccine. I am so relieved that she is now both vaccinated and well. Can't wait to get mine so we can hang out together again.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) I logged over 200 minutes on the exercise bike which tells you something about how much inauguration related TV I watched.

<3 Barbie
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Barbie, very impressive multi-tasking :)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I know this has been covered already, but if you follow a decluttering website, who do you follow?

Thanks!
    M in Oz

Dana K White - A Slob Comes Clean (my favorite)
    Dawn Madsen - The Minimal Mom

For Organizing
    Cassandra Aarssen - Clutterbug.me [she also has an HGTV show called Hot Mess House

For Inspiration (these are way too anal for some. The reason I like Dana, Dawn and Cas is that they make it real. I don't follow any of these except I Heart Planners, but I do have their sites bookmarked and I visit them occasionally.

I Heart Planners
    At Home with Nikki
    A Bowl Full of Lemons
    alejandra.tv - organize with alejandra

A whole bunch of these people are taking part in a blitz called clutter free January. If you find a recent YouTube video of one of them, they will have links to a whole bunch more. One week they focused on kitchen, another clothes, this week it is paper clutter and organization, and I think the last week is sentimental clutter.

I can pretty much tell immediately if a suggestion is going to work for me. For example, I love, love, love Alejandra's videos on paper organization. One or two of them are over the top but the others are spot on for me. On the other hand, if you are a macro organizer, you will hate her. Look at Dawn and/or Cas for inspiration. They have very, very simple paper organizing systems.

Another useful one is Taylor Flanery. One of her websites is Home Storage Solutions 101. she does a Declutter 365 mission which has some helpful stuff. Her site used to be my favorite. I'm not quite sure why I got bored with it.

There are also people who swear by FlyLady. I used to follow her as well but she got on my nerves pretty quick.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Barbara: Your dream house sounds lovely. :star:

Machka: We have double kitchen sinks so that one can be soapy and the other rinse the soap off. We also have an automatic dishwasher under the counter beside the double sink. The first gift from my parents when DH & I married, 50 years ago, was a portable automatic dishwasher. It was a gift from my mom. It was purchased at Sears and It could be rolled against a wall when not in use and attached to the kitchen sink for use. We were living in an old and grubby duplex. When we bought our first home, the dishwasher moved along with us. :smiley:

Lisa: DH also watched the inauguration on youtube. I watched in on CNN. :star: I was thrilled to see so many former Presidents from both parties. Only Jimmy Carter was unable to be there due to heath issues. Egg is a lovely kitty. :star:

Allie: I hope you can bring Alfie home soon. :heart:

My quest is getting my glasses back. I hope they’re ready for me today. DH thinks they’re going to be sent via FedX.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Stat for yesterday

Walk w/family- didn’t record time right, 2hrs 36min est, 108ahr, 175mhr, 8.04mi= 772c
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Catching up again!

Exercise - I like to walk or hike and I walk with Levi everyday; I love to swim but the only places here to swim are too expensive for my budget. I generally love all water sports but that is not available easily. I also love yoga, and have enjoyed classes at times. And of course garden garden garden!!!

Commando-
    I have done it at times, but rarely in the winter, I want what ever extra layers I can find. LOL although I do sleep naked. I’ll go bra-less at home more than I will go without panties.

Dream home –
    Open floor plan for Kitchen eating area and living room, bathrooms that were big enough that when you stand in the middle you can not reach out and touch the walls…. (can you tell that mine are VERY small)

KJ and everyone – we live all over, it might be fun if KJ’s kids could send us questions, and we could tell them about our spots in the world… OR even phone calls if we could make the time work out.

Allie – glad you are home, just be patient with yourself, your body has been through a lot it will take time to get better.

Kim from N. California
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Dream House: No stairs to climb, walk in showers, a laundry room, linen closet, and an abundance of kitchen counter space and storage.

Carol in GA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Dream Home - I don't like to get attached, so have not thought much about it. Although, the house we have now is fine. I have my dream bathroom. A condition for me to agree to pay what the sellers wanted for this house was to redo my bathroom. So, I have a nice, big bathroom with walk in shower and a separate soaking tub. Any house we live in must have at least 2 bathrooms. We have separate ones and I wouldn't have it any other way at this point. The rest we have here more or less...open kitchen, dine, family room, lots of cabinet space, lots of outdoor space, grilling island, separate office for me and him, man cave, 2 car garage. The mister would like boat parking, but since I am very much against getting a boat, I'm fine with it. I would prefer this house be in another city and state, however. Maybe even in another country.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Carol: We lived in single story home before we moved here. I know that the stairs are a challenge for DH, but I think they also keep his heart working. He disagrees with me on that. We looked into residential elevators some time back. An elevator could be attached to our house relatively easily, but spendy. We have a window in the dining room that is directly under a bedroom window. It is doable, and could become a choice someday. I love our location and view. It would be hard to give up.

Katla in OR
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Teresa - My Duolingo streak is now 426 days! :o I do find it a bit if a chore though. I much prefer all the language videos on YouTube. You can listen while on the treadmill.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

You are encouraging me to get back to my Duolingo Spanish!!

What rooms or areas would your dream house include?
    I would have a wrap around porch either off the kitchen area screened in for ‘buggy’ weather. Next a mud room at all entrances with a coat closet and shoe/boot area and bench as well as a small sink to wash hands.

Lots of storage space, huge kitchen with island sink and and breakfast bar. A full bath for every bedroom and guest half bath. A Sunroom off the Den and a large living room with the basement having a family room with exercise equipment. Of course with this I would need to be rich! Lol
    In reality the porch stays, 2 1/2 baths, large kitchen, lots of storage, 2-3 bedrooms all on one floor.

RvRita
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️💛💚🤎🖤💙💜🧡
  • Katla49
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Barbie: I tried to ride my TerraTryke inside the house a couple of years ago. It took up an amazing amount of space in the living room area. It is now set up on blocks in the garage so that I can pedal my heart out there. The rear wheel is on a trainer that provides friction. :star:
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Katla

The stairs I'm wanting to get rid of are those from the basement garage to the main floor. Carrying up heavy loads of groceries has become so burdensome. Our bedrooms are on the main floor but we do have a large bonus room and bath above the main floor. I very seldom go up there.

Carol in GA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My dream home would be very close to our current house. The only things I’d like to have that I don’t are his and her closets in the master and another small room that could be used as a home gym. Anything much bigger than that and I wouldn’t want to clean it. There are things I would change in the kitchen, like a floor to ceiling pantry cabinet or a walk in pantry, but honestly what I have works for us.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kymarai wrote: »
    Dreamhouse- I think I am living in it. There are some updates I want to do. Getting rid of tub/shower, putting in double sinks, and putting a door on the master bathroom. Oh, and getting rid of the carpet in there. While not around the toilet, still not crazy about it. Some updates to kitchen, but nothing drastic. Would LOVE to get rid of some furniture, but husband loves seeing his collections-all of them!

Kylia taking one moment at a time in Ohio and yet planning for future.

Why double sinks? I've watched home shows and occasionally see people requesting that but I've wondered why. I thought it might be to be able to soak some laundry, but we've got a laundry sink for that.

M in Oz

We have a double sink -- the second is smaller than the first and is where the garbage disposal is. I can be rinsing dishes in one sink, scraping scraps into the second sink, and then place them in the dishwasher. I love it! My mother also has a double sink, without a disposal. She doesn't have a dishwasher, so she washes in one sink and has the drainer in the second sink which frees up counter space, which is a premium in her little kitchen.

We have a utility sink in the garage that is much larger and which we use, not very often, for larger washing projects.

ETA: Oops. I read more carefully and realized you're talking about bathroom double sinks. Oh yes. We have that as well. One for each of us. My husband is not tidy. My sink is orderly and uncluttered. I am always moving his stuff back over onto his side because I like my space.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Delicious dinner. Pig's cheeks. :D Heaven! With brussels sprouts.
    I toddled round to the butcher today to buy my haggis for Burns Night. It was shut!!!! One of the staff had been in contact with covid. :'( So no haggis. Some of you may remember that Burns Night is my favourite celebration of the year. :sad:

Tomorrow night I think we might get our first Uber Eats delivery. £15 off first order. I intend to order two large cod which comes to £16 . Nearly free dinner. I will cook our own oven home chips and mushy peas. Best fried fish in Sussex. :D

Did 400 bonus calories today, rowing and watching an Easy German live vlog. Unusually it had no English subtitles, only German, but I understood most of the gist. That makes me very happy. I love the people who run it. Brightens my life.
    So 1,000 calories in total.

I almost didn't do it because I was soooo tired. Only got 4 hrs sleep last night. But I am so glad I dragged myself to that machine.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx