Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Keto or Not To Keto?

Replies

• Rainworth_Massive
    Rainworth_Massive Posts: 11 Member
    I think the best thing about keto or low carb is that there are a lot fewer options for snacking :D . I am following a moderately low carb regime as I am insulin dependent, and the less extraneous insulin I need to take to combat the sugar highs from carbs, the better my glucose control.

I have shied away from going keto as I have been conditioned into thinking ketones=bad (obviously ketosis & ketoacidosis are very different things, but still...)

I believe I have found a regime that I can stick to and keep my BGL reasonably stable without going full keto but will keep me away from those unhealthy snacks (cupcake anyone?)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't have trouble moderating certain foods, just trouble moderating my blood glucose with very carb dense foods. Type 1 diabetes sucks. Also, what the heck is a fat bomb? I have this mental image of someone eating a ball of lard... *Shudder*

They're a snack that some people on keto make.

Here is an example: https://gimmedelicious.com/keto-cheesecake-fat-bombs/

• Rainworth_Massive
    Rainworth_Massive Posts: 11 Member
    They're a snack that some people on keto make.

Here is an example: https://gimmedelicious.com/keto-cheesecake-fat-bombs/

Don't think I'll try them though, have managed so far without! :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    How is it we eat the same things we feed our animals to fatten them up for market?
    Grains such as wheat, oats, etc, and sugars, both "natural" and sugar alcohols. ("Ever see a fat animal in the wild" was a line from the video.)

that is a really silly argument.

You dont generally see fat animals in the wild because they do not have an abundance of food and they are active.

You do see fat pets.

Because animals are same as humans - if they eat too much and move too little, they gain weight.

Exactly. If you left a bunch of free food out in the wild that was calorie dense, and animals DIDN'T have to hunt or starve daily, I GUARANTEE those animals would all gain weight and get fat if it were just there for them daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    rileyes wrote: »
    Anyone read the book *The Fatburn Fix* by Catherine Shanahan?
    If it's about keto, then there's likely no other new information with probably the exception of recipes. It's the craze right now (not that it has reappeared at least once every decade or so)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How is it we eat the same things we feed our animals to fatten them up for market?
    Grains such as wheat, oats, etc, and sugars, both "natural" and sugar alcohols. ("Ever see a fat animal in the wild" was a line from the video.)

that is a really silly argument.

You dont generally see fat animals in the wild because they do not have an abundance of food and they are active.

You do see fat pets.

Because animals are same as humans - if they eat too much and move too little, they gain weight.

Exactly. If you left a bunch of free food out in the wild that was calorie dense, and animals DIDN'T have to hunt or starve daily, I GUARANTEE those animals would all gain weight and get fat if it were just there for them daily.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep, check the neighborhood dogs and cats.

zci9cnb0u33l.png
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Info on the author of “The Fatburn Fix”: Catherine Shanghai, M.D., is a board certified family physician and author of Deep Nutrition. She trained in biochemistry and genetics at Cornell University before attending Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. She practiced in Hawaii for ten years, where she studied ethnobotanist and her healthiest patients’ culinary habits. She served as director of the LA Lakers PRO Nutrition program for six years and now operates Healthy Choice Corporate Wellness and Metabolic Health from her office in Orlando, Florida.

Has anyone read the book that can offer input? She touches upon how and why some are able to burn fat optimally. I am wondering if anyone has applied similar methods over time and their results.
    TIA