Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Keto or Not To Keto?

Replies

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited February 2021
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I wonder if since Keto was originally used to treat epilepsy if it would work for tinnitus? Anyone have any experience with that?

Actually I do have some experience on that. I have suffered from Tinnitus at multiple times in my life (and for many consecutive years) usually when I was my biggest. I'm not sure if it's the weight loss, or the better overall blood pressure that does it... But currently I don't even remember the last time my ear was ringing... Effectively as of right now I have no Tinnitus. Was it Keto specifically? I don't know that. However if your muscles in general carry less Glycogen and with it less water, resulting in less pressure in the actual muscle mass, then it might be possible that the muscles in and around your ear could very well be effected and potentially reduce the issue.

That's just a wild guess though.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    I wonder if since Keto was originally used to treat epilepsy if it would work for tinnitus? Anyone have any experience with that?

Actually I do have some experience on that. I have suffered from Tinnitus at multiple times in my life (and for many consecutive years) usually when I was my biggest. I'm not sure if it's the weight loss, or the better overall blood pressure that does it... But currently I don't even remember the last time my ear was ringing... Effectively as of right now I have no Tinnitus. Was it Keto specifically? I don't know that. However if your muscles in general carry less Glycogen and with it less water, resulting in less pressure in the actual muscle mass, then it might be possible that the muscles in and around your ear could very well be effected and potentially reduce the issue.

That's just a wild guess though.

Interesting - thanks. Tinnitus is the worst. I've been on a low carb anti inflammatory type diet for a while now for other issues - but the tinnitus hasn't resolved (it is a long term issue). Maybe I should go hard core elimination diet for a few weeks just to see what happens. Unfortunately I hate meat but I might hate tinnitus more.
  • Poobah1972
    I'm sorry to hear it hasn't worked for you. Tinnitus can be caused for many different reasons. My uncle Dan has had pretty acute Tinnitus for the majority of his life. His Tinnitus was caused by an bacterial Ear infection. There isn't likely anything he can do to fix it unfortunately.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I'm sorry to hear it hasn't worked for you. Tinnitus can be caused for many different reasons. My uncle Dan has had pretty acute Tinnitus for the majority of his life. His Tinnitus was caused by an bacterial Ear infection. There isn't likely anything he can do to fix it unfortunately.

I'm going to see an oral surgeon soon for TMJ joint disorder so maybe that will work.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    J72FIT wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »
    She is partly challenging what is being sold to us as healthy. The healthy being lobbied in the political sphere. She has challenged an older study with other research data. I think a lot of this is common sense. But it doesn’t mean that what is common makes sense. 1 in 3 Americans have prediabetes and more than 84% don’t know they have it (cdc.gov).

@psuLemon In context? Metabolic efficiency could be a goal. I am healthy (I think). But there may be some lifelong strategies to take away.

And by metabolic efficiency, what do you think it means? I ask because its a nebulous term that is used fairly incorrectly in the ketogenic community.

Another term is "metabolic flexibility". Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we already have metabolic flexibility? We don't need to eat a certain way to attain metabolic flexibility. Isn't metabolic flexibility one of the reasons our species has survived?

I actually suspect the poster meant metabolic flexibility. Metabolic efficiency means you would hope for a slower metabolism that was more efficient at converting food into energy or store in adipose.

And metabolic flexibility is largely a buzz word in Keto, especially in those who do low carb and do endurance running. It's predicated around running periods to very low carb to increase fat oxidation rates, so when you do carb load before and event that you hope that once glycogen is depleted that the increase in fatty acid mobilisation will take over.

But for some reason, people believe that just eating keto or low carb somehow improves nutrient utilization. And even then, my question would be what is your goal with that? And in my opinion, if people are concerned about improved nutrient utilization, then increasing muscle mass should be the focus. Not only can you improve insulin sensitivity, but you also increase glycogen capacity and improve metabolic health.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    No need, just CICO. (Unless for medical reasons.)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    So I guess after all the back and forth, the answer is, it depends...
  • Poobah1972

Always is, especially as your get older. :P
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member

Always is, especially as your get older. :P

indeed...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2021

I feel like I've read anecdotal reports of people addressing tinnitus with keto/carnivore diets. I don't think there have been any studies. I'm not sure how seriously to take it because you read about keto diets curing everything from cancer to alcoholism to leaky gut syndrome (not that keto people are the only type of dieters to make inflated claims for their way of eating).

My husband also has tinnitus, I'm sorry to hear about yours. It really sucks.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    iFartMagic wrote: »
    Like everyone else has said, it depends on if it is something you can stick to. If you can't handle not eating carbs, then no? If you restrict yourself too hard you could end up binging, and that's no good.

everyone eats carbs. (unless they only eat meat and oil or something absurdly limited)

Yes, sure - if low carb or keto suits you, Do it.

If it doesnt (that is me) - Don't.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    @psuLemon Storing fat? Nope. Didn’t say that either. A well functioning body—one that isn’t predisposed to disease. Kind of like what anyone in their right mind would want, right?

So what does metabolic efficiency mean to you? Can you give an example? (It's a sincere question; I haven't seen the term often, and then in contexts where the meanings varied.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    @psuLemon I didn’t realize the fitness industry created a buzz phrase. I am referring to processing more efficiently. It’s funny though that he is bashing someone who sells supplements while he sells supplements. Oh, and he lost me at the stupid insertion of “wrong”.

And, thank you. I misspoke. You are correct about genetics and diet being able to reduce risk.

His supplements are for performance, which is backed by science. If you watch his supplementation video you would see the expectation he sets. He bashes supplements that are not backed by science.

I do find it a bit funny on how quick you made a judgment against him when up thread, you recommended people to do more research on the video/book you posted.
    Ultimately, if you want optimal health in which you can reduce risk of disease, then your diet should consist of lean proteins, plenty of seafood, fruits, and veggies. You should also minimize alcohol and smoking

Additional, you want to have a solid exercise routine consisting of lifting and cardio. Lifting will increase glycogen capacity and improve insulin sensitivity. And adding muscle gain improve strength and improve body function, as a strong body is more resilient.

And lastly, be a healthy weight.
    Let's add to that: live in an environment more free of contaniments like smog, get the right amount of rest and sleep, don't engage in risk behavior (smoking, daredevil stunts, etc.), reduce stress, take care of you teeth and oral health (since everything energy wise goes through our mouth), reduce TV programming that may prolonged sitting, etc.
    There are so many things that apply to optimal health besides just food and exercise. I have known many clients that do that right and not apply the others and still have bad health markers like High BP, or stress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SavannahLynn10
    SavannahLynn10 Posts: 5 Member
    There's like 200 comments but every dietitian I've seen and talked to has told me that any diet that restricts an entire food group or an entire macro nutrient (carbohydrates in this case) is not a healthy diet, is not sustainable, and will lead to a disordered eating mindset.

Your body is meant to have carbs. Make slow changes to your lifestyle to create a calorie deficit. If less carbs makes you feel better and is keeping you in a deficit, then keep going. But small changes can be just as effective (get apple slices instead of fries at McDonald's. Grilled Chicken instead of fries. Don't have to cut out bread and carbs entirely but sometimes consider getting a burger in a bowl or lettuce wrap instead of on a bun. Small lifestyle changes that change over time is much more sustainable than a drastic "day one of cutting out carbs forever."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    There's like 200 comments but every dietitian I've seen and talked to has told me that any diet that restricts an entire food group or an entire macro nutrient (carbohydrates in this case) is not a healthy diet, is not sustainable, and will lead to a disordered eating mindset.

Your body is meant to have carbs. Make slow changes to your lifestyle to create a calorie deficit. If less carbs makes you feel better and is keeping you in a deficit, then keep going. But small changes can be just as effective (get apple slices instead of fries at McDonald's. Grilled Chicken instead of fries. Don't have to cut out bread and carbs entirely but sometimes consider getting a burger in a bowl or lettuce wrap instead of on a bun. Small lifestyle changes that change over time is much more sustainable than a drastic "day one of cutting out carbs forever."
    Absolutely. I've always argued with many ketoers that if carbs are so bad for us then why the hell are Asians in the East population not 65% overweight/obese if they eat white rice, junk carbs (like candy) etc.? Asians eat more balanced and not in high consumption for the most part. Some of that being financial but many aren't use to eating a lot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png