WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    Why are Haggis illegal in the US?

In 1971 it became illegal to import haggis into the US from the UK due to a ban on food containing sheep lung, which constitutes 10 – 15 percent of the traditional recipe. The ban encompasses all lungs, as fluids such as stomach acid and phlegm may enter the lung during slaughter.

Maybe you could make your own haggis if you butchered your own sheep and made it yourself.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have had our first vaccinations and the headaches that came with them are easing away. Our second vaccinations will be on March 30. I am looking forward to yoga classes and seeing my equestrian friends. I look forward to group meetings and work parties with them.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Katla- my 2nd one is on the 30th too. I have made sure the day after i have nothing planned.so if im not feeling well i can lay low..
    Supposed to be in the low 50s today so will try and get outside to do some walking.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Hhhhhh
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Did any of you US folks ever see the Joan Hickson version of Miss Marple? They started in 1984 and finished in 1992. My elder son absolutely loved her. He was born in 1976. This is what he posted on Facebook today. I still, think she was the best one.

8lfvkd8h1uug.jpg

Just been out for my 5k run. Gorgeous sunny weather. One person swimming. DH came with me as the kids are now back at school, so you aren’t dodging scooters and bikes and it was less busy. It was wonderful. Big queue for ice-cream! B)

Cauliflower cheese tonight with bacon. Yum.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    hello,
    tired (not original i know!)
    It's a good 24h regarding long term goals.
    nothing totally achieved but positive signs.
    - for the worker's rights thing = one guy in our collective got an online appointment with a member of parliment for yesterday late afternoon. This elected official was middle of the road, not left-leaning (and thus theoretically supportive of worker's rights), but he totally understood the situation, found it astonishing, fount our request legitimate, and committed to taking action (writing, meeting with his colleagues on this subject, meeting the minister on this subject). It's only talk, but it was surprisingly positive, both in his reaction and his commitment, that came from him.
    - for writing thing, i got positive feedback on my plan, from the director. i had to leave the zoom session for a moment and apparently she also said to others in my absence that it the plan was very clear. lots of tips and suggestions, so i'm not all there, but it was first very positive feedback on that level in ages. I recorded the video session online (secretly, disturbingly easy to do). it made my computer tired but i got it off to external hard disk.
    good vibes on those two levels.

tired.
    tech stuff to deal with : computer check, done
    scooter: i MISPLACED the keys! yikes! i was going to take the scooter to train to forest on sunday but had to take the subway. no big deal, but i need to find the keys. they could have slipped somewhere. (like under sofa, bed, etc). i checked shops around scooter in case someone found keys (if i had left them or dropped them near there when locking bike). no luck.

washing machine : very tired. i bought it second hand rather new (maybe a year old) from downstairs neighbor who was moving out, a good 10 years ago. It's been struggling for a while. a repairguy is supposed to cost 40 euros for checking up and 59-79 for repair according to dispatching service, but according to him it's 69 for check up, and more for repair presumably (or no repair).
    A new machine is a few hundred euros and i question the value of such a repair of an (by washing machine standards) old machine.
    no big deal, but a thing to take care of. it i don't get it replaced soon, I'll be visiting the laundromat very soon, which I'm not a fan of.
    basically water in water out, but no turning of turny part; (bottom stuff is very wet and top stuff rather dry after a cycle! :D )

i have an appointment out at 7pm. i'll find out if going by foot or by scooter; not really keen on coming back by foot since it's curfew and so few people are out; the area is SUPER safe normally, but when all are supposed to be inside it's not quite the same. i guess i'm gonna spend the next hours tidying and looking for keys.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    @okiewoman510 thank goodness for the pump and well and water work!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Thank you ladies for the good thoughts and prayers sent my way on the loss of my son, Ian. Ian was 34 years old, physically disabled, had a brilliant mind, and was light-years ahead of all us in his faith.
    NY's rules have changed in regards to church services/funerals/etc. We had a vitiation on Friday for 3 hours where masks were required. Due to my hearing loss, those who came to see us were given an index card to write down what they had hoped to say to me. They could drop it in a basket or hand it to me directly. I used a phone app that tried to transcribe what people said through their masks. It worked so-so. You don't really need an app, or words even, to see the grief in another's eyes. Their tears and hugs spoke volumes. And yes, every single person hugged me! If I don't contract Covid it will be a miracle. Not that I even care much about that now ...

Yesterday we had a Celebration of Life service at our church. Our pastor/church has been criticized for being too cautious, but as you may recall I shared with him the words from one state governor who said that "the healthy and optimistic among us will doom the vulnerable." He took that to heart months ago. We require masks, hand sanitizing before entering, pews are physically taped off to encourage social distancing. No plates passed or anything like that. We were prepared to move people to other rooms than the sanctuary if necessary We also live-streamed the service and many people took advantage of that. Anyways. the church was well filled yesterday for my son. I gave the eulogy. A young man whom I didn't know prior to Ian's death, spoke formally as well and several people shared. The pastor preached. It was a powerful day. The outpouring of love has been overwhelming. My son was an inspiration to hundreds and impacted lives that we are only now beginning to hear about.

Staff from the group home came to both the visitation and the funeral. The man who overcooked the piece of food (he was not the one to feed it to Ian ... someone else made that mistake by not grinding it according to specifications) that set off the catastrophic series of events came to the funeral home. He was heartbroken. And I forgave him, just as Ian would have. Ian's willingness to forgive was unfathomable.

We had hoped that the service would still be available after the livestream, but I guess we made a mistake with a piece of music that was played during a video tribute and we've had the server (it goes through FaceBook?) pull it down for copyright infringement. If it was still available you could have seen me speak and seen photos of how my Ian defied all odds!

Many, many things went wrong leading up to my son's death. We will be taking the weeks and months ahead to process all of that. To decide how me move forward. For now we are focusing on the details of emptying his room at the group home. We have 30 days. Taking care of the last details ... bank accounts, things like that. It's complicated. Ian was his own guardian/rep payee, but considered our permanently disabled dependent for insurance purposes ... and he didn't have a will.

We have been flooded with food and so, as you can imagine, my eating has been off the rails. So many wonderful salads and fruit bowls ... all of which are still in the refrigerator... since we chose to eat the cookies and sweets instead. Lol. If I don't stop they'll need a double-wide casket when I die.

My heart has a physical ache that will not ever go away on this side of the cross ... but I will be ok. I believe in the gospel. And I will be reunited with my son someday.

Beth near Buffalo

hello beth, i'm sorry i had missed your post somehow. i'm so sorry. it's heartbreaking. so glad to hear the service was uplifting; if you have the video, you can have someone remove the song and repost. it's a bit of work but many young people can easily do that, or some computer place with young people...or a tech-y person friend. if the song was playing itself you can cut that part or remove the sound from it, and if it was in the background it's more complexe but doable: like pixelating faces, it has to be not recognizable. not first in your list of things to do, but if you have many people offering to help you it's very likely that one can do that or find someone who can and would be very happy to help you with that. <3<3<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: It looks like we’re getting our second vaccinations on the same day! No doubt that you will get yours hours before we will get ours due to time zone differences. Won’t it be great to see friends and do things together after all of these months? :bigsmile:

Heather: We watched Miss Marple on Public TV for years. Loved her! We still watch the Great British Bake Off on Public TV. Your elder son and our son were born in the same year & they currently wear similar haircuts. I don’t think our son has a beard just now. :smiley:

Okiewoman: I hope the well company gets the job done for you today. Nothing I can think of is more important than clean & safe water. :star:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Katla - The only Miss Marple I didn’t like was Geraldine McEwan. She was badly miscast I think. Joan Hickson was the best. Julia McKensie is pretty good.

DH is doing his latest jigsaw - The Human Body. So far he's done, Flags and Capitals of the World, The Periodic Table, The Tree of Life, The United States of America and now this. :D It’s to help us with our TV quizzes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Today we get our second shot. Almost everyone at Book Club had already had two. I am the only one that actually had the virus.
    Beth- thanks for sharing about your son’s service and the outpouring of love your family has received.
    Tomorrow the mask mandate will be lifted and businesses can return to 100% capacity. I am sure some businesses will still
    Require masks. I have seen more people without masks in grocery store already.
    Welcome Christine in NY.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    So far, so good, as far as calories this morning. It's the evenings that get me though.

I did Teddy's flea and tick, and helped arrange my Dad's prescription. So I have four hours of free time until dumbbell exercise at four. I'd like to go for a walk but my legs are still sore from last time. There's a little muscle outside my shin that hurts. Then the bursitis and some longer streaks of pain. I am so out of shape I only walked a quarter mile. Soon it will be pollen season and I'll be indoors again anyway.

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    :) The CDC guidelines for what people can do safely after being vaccinated is much more restrictive than most people seem to think. We don't plan to do anything different until a whole lot more people are vaccinated and the incidence of new cases drops to nearly zero. Our county has the highest vaccination rate in our whole state.

:) One of the possible side effects of the second vaccine in swollen underarm lymph nodes so when I made my appointment for my annual mammogram, the scheduler made sure it was several weeks after my second shot so if I had swollen lymph nodes they wouldn't show up as a concern on the mammogram.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Well i walked and did my PT,but having an issue with a bloody nose,so i have tissue stuck in my nose and lying down so it stops very hard with the Coumadin..finally got the coumadin regulated so i dont have to go every week ,i go in 2 weeks..
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Allie,sorry I missed your post about a good nts sleep.Still waiting here. stayed up till nearly 9:30 last nt,longest eve in wks,but was of no help for a nts sleep.Have surgeon’s appt today & will see if he has any help to offer.Oldest DD is going to drive us.There is info on line,but so much,try this,try that. Not much definite info. Pat C Ohio
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💛🔵🟪💙
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) The CDC guidelines for what people can do safely after being vaccinated is much more restrictive than most people seem to think. We don't plan to do anything different until a whole lot more people are vaccinated and the incidence of new cases drops to nearly zero. Our county has the highest vaccination rate in our whole state.
    :) One of the possible side effects of the second vaccine in swollen underarm lymph nodes so when I made my appointment for my annual mammogram, the scheduler made sure it was several weeks after my second shot so if I had swollen lymph nodes they wouldn't show up as a concern on the mammogram.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

Couldn't agree with you more! We are not changing anything! Glad to see we are not the only ones waiting. Also the same regarding the mammogram. Mine is in August.
    My daughter and I should both be fully vaccinated by mid April. The hubs is on a waiting list at Walmart. He's not in any of the current groups yet however they will call you if it comes to throwing away expiring doses.

Cheri
    in very windy CS, TX