Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

COVID19 - To Vaccinate or To Not Vaccinate

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    There is no reliable evidence based study that links Gardasil to infertility just like there is no proof that other vaccines cause autism.

It is the same with the Covid vaccine. When you actually understand the physiology of the human body and vaccines, it makes complete sense.

Vaccines do not harm anyone. All they do is stimulate an immune response which happens naturally anyway when we are exposed to viruses and bacteria in the environment.

The Covid vaccine is a code for the spike protein of Covid. It is a piece of RNA, genetic material. You have a greater chance of being harmed through the body’s immune response to the actual virus than you do through the vaccine, which isn’t even a complete virus.

Naturally people want to find something to blame their infertility or child’s birth defects on. But, it is foolish and unfair to blame vaccines because that logic just isn’t sound.

I've been thinking about this, and I don't think it is universally true. A new Dengue vaccine did contribute the deaths of children in the Philippines not that long ago. I think dengue is kind of a unique illness where instead of becoming immune after the illness, you actually get sicker the second time you get it. So I believe the vaccine triggered more severe illness if those who had never been previously exposed got sick, and some children did die.
    I actually thought about that when I heard that this vaccine was being kind of fast tracked - did they test it in people who had previously been exposed? Did they test what happened if you got Covid after receiving it?
    I still wonder what effect the vaccine might have if you get exposed to a different variant. I know with dengue there is something called "antibody-dependent enhancement" where previous exposure actually makes the symptoms worse.
    Since I already got my first shot I am hoping that Covid doesn't evolve that way as well. (Although I am not a virologist so maybe the coronavirus behaves totatly differently than the dengue virus - it is the only one I have heard of that does that.)

I’m not an expert on the dengue vaccine but from what I know it is a live vaccine. The Covid vaccine is not. What you mentioned about becoming more sick the second time around would happen if the person caught dengue virus a second time or received a vaccine if that persons immune system is going to react that way. I did read there was a 75% reduction in infection in those previously exposed. If someone lives in a region where dengue is common, it still seems the benefits outweigh the risks. I couldn’t find a study explaining any deaths as a result of the vaccine.

There are rare people who have Guillan-Barre syndrome and they may attribute this to getting a vaccine but there have been unvaccinated people who have this condition as well as a result of a preceding viral infection. So it is unfair to blame a vaccine. This is more a result of someone being unlucky in the way their immune system works. Most people don’t realize that in many cases, we feel sick as a result of our immune response to a pathogen more so than the effects of the pathogen itself.

Vaccinations have been around for years. There haven’t been any vaccines that have been shown to do harm in a significant amount of people. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks in every case of the common vaccines we have. That’s why I don’t understand the fear.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I am curious, how do you convince someone who refuses to get the vaccine, because they believe “it really isn’t a vaccine”? Not me, I am fully vaccinated.

You don't...if people have gone down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole, they're really the only one's who can get themselves back...they aren't worth anyone's time trying to convince.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2021
    There is no reliable evidence based study that links Gardasil to infertility just like there is no proof that other vaccines cause autism.

It is the same with the Covid vaccine. When you actually understand the physiology of the human body and vaccines, it makes complete sense.

Vaccines do not harm anyone. All they do is stimulate an immune response which happens naturally anyway when we are exposed to viruses and bacteria in the environment.

The Covid vaccine is a code for the spike protein of Covid. It is a piece of RNA, genetic material. You have a greater chance of being harmed through the body’s immune response to the actual virus than you do through the vaccine, which isn’t even a complete virus.

Naturally people want to find something to blame their infertility or child’s birth defects on. But, it is foolish and unfair to blame vaccines because that logic just isn’t sound.

I've been thinking about this, and I don't think it is universally true. A new Dengue vaccine did contribute the deaths of children in the Philippines not that long ago. I think dengue is kind of a unique illness where instead of becoming immune after the illness, you actually get sicker the second time you get it. So I believe the vaccine triggered more severe illness if those who had never been previously exposed got sick, and some children did die.
    I actually thought about that when I heard that this vaccine was being kind of fast tracked - did they test it in people who had previously been exposed? Did they test what happened if you got Covid after receiving it?
    I still wonder what effect the vaccine might have if you get exposed to a different variant. I know with dengue there is something called "antibody-dependent enhancement" where previous exposure actually makes the symptoms worse.
    Since I already got my first shot I am hoping that Covid doesn't evolve that way as well. (Although I am not a virologist so maybe the coronavirus behaves totatly differently than the dengue virus - it is the only one I have heard of that does that.)

I’m not an expert on the dengue vaccine but from what I know it is a live vaccine. The Covid vaccine is not. What you mentioned about becoming more sick the second time around would happen if the person caught dengue virus a second time or received a vaccine if that persons immune system is going to react that way. I did read there was a 75% reduction in infection in those previously exposed. If someone lives in a region where dengue is common, it still seems the benefits outweigh the risks. I couldn’t find a study explaining any deaths as a result of the vaccine.

There are rare people who have Guillan-Barre syndrome and they may attribute this to getting a vaccine but there have been unvaccinated people who have this condition as well as a result of a preceding viral infection. So it is unfair to blame a vaccine. This is more a result of someone being unlucky in the way their immune system works. Most people don’t realize that in many cases, we feel sick as a result of our immune response to a pathogen more so than the effects of the pathogen itself.

Vaccinations have been around for years. There haven’t been any vaccines that have been shown to do harm in a significant amount of people. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks in every case of the common vaccines we have. That’s why I don’t understand the fear.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/05/03/719037789/botched-vaccine-launch-has-deadly-repercussions

"In November 2017, Sanofi published an announcement on its website saying it had new information about Dengvaxia's safety.

Halstead's fears were confirmed. Sanofi had found evidence that the vaccine increases the risk of hospitalization and cytoplasmic leakage syndrome in children who had no prior exposure to dengue, regardless of age.

"For individuals who have not been previously infected by dengue virus, vaccination should not be recommended," the company wrote."

It has since been established that children who have never been exposed to dengue should NOT have the vaccine. This was not the recommendation when the vaccine was rolled out in the Philippines - they recommended that all children be vaccinated. The mechanism for the vaccine causing more severe illness I believe is the same as a subsequent infection causing it - "antibody dependent enhancement". Yes the vaccine does seem to work well in those who have been previously exposed.

I take issue with your statement that "there haven't been any vaccines that have been shown to do harm to a significant amount of people". There are thousands of children in the Philippines, who were vaccinated before the recommendations changed, who are now at higher risk if they become infected with dengue, because they have had the vaccine.

I'm not saying anything like this this will happen with the Covid vaccine - just pointing out that there have been vaccine errors made in the past.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    The world is full of diseases. More are coming. I refuse to live in fear and I know we cannot control it.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited March 2021

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/05/03/719037789/botched-vaccine-launch-has-deadly-repercussions

"In November 2017, Sanofi published an announcement on its website saying it had new information about Dengvaxia's safety.

Halstead's fears were confirmed. Sanofi had found evidence that the vaccine increases the risk of hospitalization and cytoplasmic leakage syndrome in children who had no prior exposure to dengue, regardless of age.

"For individuals who have not been previously infected by dengue virus, vaccination should not be recommended," the company wrote."

It has since been established that children who have never been exposed to dengue should NOT have the vaccine. This was not the recommendation when the vaccine was rolled out in the Philippines - they recommended that all children be vaccinated. The mechanism for the vaccine causing more severe illness I believe is the same as a subsequent infection causing it - "antibody dependent enhancement". Yes the vaccine does seem to work well in those who have been previously exposed.

I take issue with your statement that "there haven't been any vaccines that have been shown to do harm to a significant amount of people". There are thousands of children in the Philippines, who were vaccinated before the recommendations changed, who are now at higher risk if they become infected with dengue, because they have had the vaccine.

I'm not saying anything like this this will happen with the Covid vaccine - just pointing out that there have been vaccine errors made in the past.

This is not a peer reviewed study. It is an NPR article. It does not have any evidence or prove anything. When I went to the New England Journal of Medicine article that was referenced it mentioned an 80% vaccine efficacy rate and approximately 3% adverse events rate that was nearly identical in the vaccine group and placebo group.

Most people do not know how to interpret the news and information they read unfortunately. Anecdotal cases are not proof and many such situations in the past that have made the news have turned out to be debunked. Even now, there is a lot of fear mongering regarding the European vaccine causing blood clots. People don’t look at the actual evidence though. They hear blood clots and vaccine on the news and assume the vaccine causes blood clots which is ridiculous. A few people having a rare auto immune response to a vaccine does not make the vaccine unsafe.

The rate of blood clots is much higher in patients with actual Covid infection than in people receiving the vaccine. I saw many, many patients over the last year with Covid, who had pulmonary emboli, embolic strokes, and heart attacks. Vaccines data show a 95% reduction in serious complications and hospitalizations so far.

This actually did happen with the dengue vaccine in the Philippines. But dengue is a very different disease than Covid-19. There are four strains of dengue virus. An immune response to an infection with one strain can put you at risk of serious illness if you are infected with a different strain. It has made development of a dengue vaccine very challenging. But this is not the case with SARS CoV 2.

ETA: Twiv 471 covered this dengue issue. (This week in virology). I actually need to look into updates on this.

Also, I've been vaccinated for Covid :).
  • 33gail33
    edited March 2021

This is not a peer reviewed study. It is an NPR article. It does not have any evidence or prove anything. When I went to the New England Journal of Medicine article that was referenced it mentioned an 80% vaccine efficacy rate and approximately 3% adverse events rate that was nearly identical in the vaccine group and placebo group.

Most people do not know how to interpret the news and information they read unfortunately. Anecdotal cases are not proof and many such situations in the past that have made the news have turned out to be debunked. Even now, there is a lot of fear mongering regarding the European vaccine causing blood clots. People don’t look at the actual evidence though. They hear blood clots and vaccine on the news and assume the vaccine causes blood clots which is ridiculous. A few people having a rare auto immune response to a vaccine does not make the vaccine unsafe.

The rate of blood clots is much higher in patients with actual Covid infection than in people receiving the vaccine. I saw many, many patients over the last year with Covid, who had pulmonary emboli, embolic strokes, and heart attacks. Vaccines data show a 95% reduction in serious complications and hospitalizations so far.

It's well documented - you can easily find the info. There have been criminal charges filed in the Philippines. There is information about it on the WHO website.

You seem determined not to believe me for some reason. I'm surprised that you haven't heard of it being in the medical field tbh.

Edit - from the WHO website:

https://www.who.int/immunization/diseases/dengue/q_and_a_dengue_vaccine_dengvaxia_use/en/

"However, the subset of trial participants who were inferred to be seronegative at time of first vaccination had a significantly higher risk of more severe dengue and hospitalizations from dengue compared to unvaccinated participants, regardless of age at time of vaccination. Beyond an initial protective period during the first two years, the risk was highest in year 3 following the first dose, declined in the following years but persisted over the trial follow up period of about 5 years after the first dose.

How can one explain the excess cases of severe dengue in the vaccinated seronegative population?
    The reasons for the excess cases are not fully understood, but a plausible hypothesis is that the vaccine may initiate a first immune response to dengue in seronegative persons (e.g. persons without a prior dengue infection) that predisposes them to a higher risk of severe disease. That is, the vaccine acts as a “primary-like” infection and a subsequent infection with the first wild type dengue virus is then a “secondary-like” clinically more severe infection. This hypothesis is illustrated in the Figure below. However, other hypotheses are possible and, at this stage, there is no definitive explanation. Of note, it is not the vaccine itself that causes excess cases, but rather that the vaccine induces an immune status that increases the risk that subsequent infections are more pronounced."

Fronm the New Enlgand Journal of Medicine:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1800820CONCLUSIONS

"CYD-TDV protected against severe VCD and hospitalization for VCD for 5 years in persons who had exposure to dengue before vaccination, and there was evidence of a higher risk of these outcomes in vaccinated persons who had not been exposed to dengue. (Funded by Sanofi Pasteur; ClinicalTrials.gov numbers, NCT00842530. opens in new tab, NCT01983553. opens in new tab, NCT01373281. opens in new tab, and NCT01374516. opens in new tab.)"
  • 33gail33
    Dnarules wrote: »

This actually did happen with the dengue vaccine in the Philippines. But dengue is a very different disease than Covid-19. There are four strains of dengue virus. An immune response to an infection with one strain can put you at risk of serious illness if you are infected with a different strain. It has made development of a dengue vaccine very challenging. But this is not the case with SARS CoV 2.

ETA: Twiv 471 covered this dengue issue. (This week in virology). I actually need to look into updates on this.

Also, I've been vaccinated for Covid :).

Thank you! I feel like I am banging my head on the wall - lol.

I am aware that Covid is a different virus altogether, I was originally responding to the blanket claim that no vaccine has ever hurt anyone. FWIW I have also been vaccinated for Covid (1st dose).
This discussion has been closed.