What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited March 2021
    In that I think eating a wide variety of different vegetables is important, and like to eat seasonally when possible (here anyway, broccoli and asparagus are in season at somewhat different times, although I grow broccoli and not asparagus typically), I guess I'm pleased they taste different to me, both good in their own ways (and to me asparagus tastes especially good in some dishes I associate with spring and early summer -- it's not quite in season yet, but I adore asparagus with Easter dinner, for example, or in an omelet with leeks).

Asparagus costs more here too, but neither exactly breaks the bank. Asparagus does tend to taste best in season and local, IME, although it can be good at other times, whereas broccoli (like cauliflower and zucchini, among other veg) tends to have less difference and to be easily available and just fine all year round (which is why I often find asparagus more exciting when good asparagus is available).
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,797 Member
    Asparagus is just rubbish expensive broccoli and bacon is absolutely revolting.

*TURKEY bacon is revolting

I prefer turkey bacon to regular bacon because of less fat
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I don't like hot cross buns
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    For weight loss it is eating less calories than you burn. To live a long life and be in optimal health what we eat makes a difference.
    I also believe- backed by science, long term studies and cultures- health is about lifestyle, plant rich diet and active lifestyle.
  • anna_nintey3
    anna_nintey3 Posts: 843 Member
    That fasting is beneficial
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2021
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    To live a long life and be in optimal health what we eat makes a difference.

On average, sure. Obviously we can all find people who apparently won the gene lottery and had an unhealthy lifestyle and lived long and healthy lives, vs others who ate well and exercised and were in good shape and yet died young or got some terrible disease, etc.
    I also believe- backed by science, long term studies and cultures- health is about lifestyle, plant rich diet and active lifestyle.

I don't think this -- if not taken to an extreme (such as a claim that only those training super hard or eating a very restrictive diet) -- is controversial or unpopular at all. I also would agree that overall diet and lifestyle and fitness matter for health, all else equal, and think the blue zones are relevant to that (and that lifestyle means more than food and exercise, of course).
  • VegjoyP
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

On average, sure. Obviously we can all find people who apparently won the gene lottery and had an unhealthy lifestyle and lived long and healthy lives, vs others who ate well and exercised and were in good shape and yet died young or got some terrible disease, etc.

I don't think this -- if not taken to an extreme (such as a claim that only those training super hard or eating a very restrictive diet) -- is controversial or unpopular at all. I also would agree that overall diet and lifestyle and fitness matter for health, all else equal, and think the blue zones are relevant to that (and that lifestyle means more than food and exercise, of course).

I am talking about the Blue Zones- NOT ANYTHING that is a "current" trend, fad, phase or some celerity propaganda. I am talking about elders of Okinawa, Japan, Parts of Costa Rica, Italy and Greece. It is not high fat and low carb. It is a vital way to live.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I am talking about the Blue Zones- NOT ANYTHING that is a "current" trend, fad, phase or some celerity propaganda. I am talking about elders of Okinawa, Japan, Parts of Costa Rica, Italy and Greece. It is not high fat and low carb. It is a vital way to live.

Not sure why you mentioned high fat and low carb, as I said nothing about that. I mentioned the Blue Zones, in fact. Like I said, if you are talking about that sort of thing, I don't think it's an unpopular or controversial or unusual opinion at all. (Blue zone diets can be relatively high or low fat.)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Lenny and larry did something to their cookies. I just bought two boxes after not having them for half a year and yuck!!!!!!!!!!! They are completely different. I went through a phase of eating 2 of the 4oz cookies a night and they are completely different now. Not sweet at all and have a terrible aftertaste.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Oh! Here's a really unpopular opinion - I really don't prefer hot coffee. I love it cold, and drink it that way year round. I also prefer iced tea to hot tea, though I will consent to drinking it hot on occasion when it's reeeeeeeeeally cold outside.

thumb_elebrity-pprentice-ext-i-dont-drink-hot-liquids-of-any-46479430.png
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Lenny and larry did something to their cookies. I just bought two boxes after not having them for half a year and yuck!!!!!!!!!!! They are completely different. I went through a phase of eating 2 of the 4oz cookies a night and they are completely different now. Not sweet at all and have a terrible aftertaste.

lol I have always hated these :)
  • LeeAWatt2021
    LeeAWatt2021 Posts: 14 Member
    Eggplant (Aubergine).. yuck.. yuck.. yuck.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Eggplant (Aubergine).. yuck.. yuck.. yuck.

agree!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,450 Member
    I actually really dislike food and eating in general (except for pizza..). Has always been this way. Very fussy about texture and smell and stuff like that. I have decided to just stop bothering and use mealshakes now. It works great for me.
  • VegjoyP
    We had authentic, home made eggplant parmesaun when I was a kid growing up half Sicilian. It was out of this world!
  • Arralethe
    Arralethe Posts: 222 Member
    Cucumber tastes appalling.