Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Success Stories
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• happimess01happimess01 Member Posts: 7,256 Member Member Posts: 7,256 Member
    That sometimes you will go to bed sad. During my bingeing days, whenever I was feeling down, I would soothe myself with food. Whatever was troubling me didnt stand a chance in front of Ben and Jerrys and whatever carb fest I was craving that night. Now that I am watching what I eat, I sometimes have to sit with those feelings of stress and anger. Walking, taking a shower and all those other things help but still...

Yes, but you won't wake up feeling sad! When you DIDN'T binge the night before you feel so PROUD of yourself the next morning! Kind of like... "Shwew! Thank God I made it through last night without blowing it!" You then don't face that morning hangover of food regret. So, that's a plus. But, I wish you well in learning how to not feel sad on those tough evenings too.

yep, couldn't agree more with you. You definitely feel like a winner in the morning.
  • happimess01happimess01 Member Posts: 7,256 Member Member Posts: 7,256 Member
    That sometimes you will go to bed sad. During my bingeing days, whenever I was feeling down, I would soothe myself with food. Whatever was troubling me didnt stand a chance in front of Ben and Jerrys and whatever carb fest I was craving that night. Now that I am watching what I eat, I sometimes have to sit with those feelings of stress and anger. Walking, taking a shower and all those other things help but still...

Oh man! This struck me so hard. I'm going to copy this and share it around if you don't mind? Bingeing is such a beast and any help to stave it off needs to be my arsenal! Thank you so much.

haah sure! I wish I had ended the post on a more positive note though
  • GummiMundiGummiMundi Member Posts: 359 Member Member Posts: 359 Member
    Nobody told me how much of this journey is about facing fear and not letting it stop you. Fear of what it will mean to be thin, fear of failure, fear of change, fear of the gym, fear of looking stupid, fear of other people's responses, fear of injury, fear of being strong, fear of saying no. All these fears I didn't even know I had are now coming up along with memories/emotions from years back that I thought I'd already dealt with.

I'm only 11 lbs down so far, but I already feel like a new person because of all the fears I've had to face and conquer just to DO this thing--especially the strength/fitness part. I've realized that most of my weight issues are really IDENTITY issues, and that a lot of what I'm doing is breaking off old agreements with family/friends to be a certain way. Now I'm finding out who I really am, one workout and one logged meal at a time, and it's incredible. I never ever want to go back to living with all those fears. Not ever.

As awesome as the weight loss is, discovering my true self is even better. Now I'm just eager to see what that person's body ends up looking like because I honestly don't know!! I've yo-yo'd weight before with various methods, but I've never logged calories and tracked macros. And I've nevered combined diet with consistent strength training/exercise. The combination is already producing VERY different results than I've seen before--both physical and mental. For the first time in my life, I'm starting to believe that I could be an honest-to-goodness ATHLETE, like nothing's off the table if I'm willing to work for it. And for once, I don't mind not being good at things initially because I know I will get better. And that maybe this really WILL be the final time I have to lose this weight. This is an inner shift I've never felt before, and I'm so excited to see my future unfold!!

Somebody around here said there comes a point where you're just READY to lose the weight, and I think I'm there. Reading this and the other MFP threads has helped me a lot, and I know that will continue. So thank you all for posting. It really does matter.

Thank you too for posting this!
    It really hits home for me, and I honestly believe you're on the right path. <3
  • BeautyofdreamsBeautyofdreams Member Posts: 678 Member Member Posts: 678 Member
    @BrightEyedAgain , thank you for writing your insightful post. I have found that every word that you wrote is the truth. Wishing you much success in your health journey and discovering your new self identity.