Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2021
    hipari wrote: »
    Whoa, things have been happening here.

@lemurcat2 I’m a lawyer too, and have never needed a notary for anything here in Finland. You need some sort of authorized confirmation to buy or sell land (real estate), but that’s it. Usually if a legal document needs to be authorized or confirmed, any two legally independent adults can sign witness to prove that you have willingly and knowingly signed the document. These witnesses can be any adults who don’t have a conflict of interest in the matter - for example, prenuptial agreements need such witnesses here to be valid, so our lawyer best man and lawyer maid of honor witnessed our signatures and then we took them out for drinks. No notary services needed.

There seem to be plenty in Finland, so I wonder why: https://dvv.fi/en/services-of-notary-public

https://www.apostille.org/project/apostille-finland/

https://www.hel.fi/helsinki/en/housing/plots-land-buildings/surveying/real-estate-formation/notary-services/notary-services

"A notary serves as the certifying authority when the transfer document is signed in real estate transfer transactions. The transfer can be a contract of sale, an exchange or a gift. A pre-contract for a contract of sale also requires certification by a notary."

Anyway, people don't commonly need notaries in the US, and less than they used to, but title companies commonly have notaries, so do banks, and many legal secretaries and paralegals are notaries, so generally it's no inconvenience even if you need one. Thus, the idea it's some hardship about living in the US would be wrong.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    Whoa, things have been happening here.

@lemurcat2 I’m a lawyer too, and have never needed a notary for anything here in Finland. You need some sort of authorized confirmation to buy or sell land (real estate), but that’s it. Usually if a legal document needs to be authorized or confirmed, any two legally independent adults can sign witness to prove that you have willingly and knowingly signed the document. These witnesses can be any adults who don’t have a conflict of interest in the matter - for example, prenuptial agreements need such witnesses here to be valid, so our lawyer best man and lawyer maid of honor witnessed our signatures and then we took them out for drinks. No notary services needed.

There seem to be plenty in Finland, so I wonder why: https://dvv.fi/en/services-of-notary-public

https://www.apostille.org/project/apostille-finland/

https://www.hel.fi/helsinki/en/housing/plots-land-buildings/surveying/real-estate-formation/notary-services/notary-services

"A notary serves as the certifying authority when the transfer document is signed in real estate transfer transactions. The transfer can be a contract of sale, an exchange or a gift. A pre-contract for a contract of sale also requires certification by a notary."

Anyway, people don't commonly need notaries in the US, and less than they used to, but title companies commonly have notaries, so do banks, and many legal secretaries and paralegals are notaries, so generally it's no inconvenience even if you need one. Thus, the idea it's some hardship about living in the US would be wrong.

Thanks. Still have never needed a notary service for anything in Finland, and never heard of anyone needing it for anything other than real estate transactions (which I mentioned) or to notarize documents that are needed for international purposes. I’d imagine the service network for notaries is there to serve the real estate world and international communities in both personal and business matters. Wasn’t necessarily referring to notaries being a US-exclusive thing either - my only personal experience with needing notarized paperwork comes from Switzerland where I’ve needed a whole bunch of stuff notarized for business (company) purposes.

None of this is to be confused with the trainee judge system, where lawyers get trained at the bench to complete training required to become a judge, and during the one-year training period their title is district court notary.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2021
    Real estate transactions are probably the main use here, also (as I noted above). Affidavits are notarized also, although often you can use a declaration instead.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    We still have had zero cases of community spread Covid here in North Queensland. I'm guessing that will change once more international borders open eventually maybe next year. We and New Zealand have our bubble which seems to be working so at least there is travel there. Thinking of all that are dealing with this. Keep getting the jab and doing the right things. lokihen, do you have a pet? They are the best or my little dog is :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member

Low desert area in southern California here, and masks are everywhere.

The county is still in orange although infections are the lowest since last summer, and people are moving around more. I got a mani and pedi today and everybody were still wearing masks (all vaccinated at the salon), and the plexiglass partitions were still in place. I stopped in Walgreens and everybody was masked as well.

Even in the gated community where I live masks are required when entering any of the buildings, club houses, restaurant, and the gyms. Outside is optional. I know that due to the age of the people living in here, a very high % are vaccinated too. Although I also heard that some are refusing the vaccine... ;)

It seems that the county is very cautious about lifting the masks' mandate and the governor has not put any pressure, so far, in the local authorities. Let's see how long it last.

I haven't been in my local supermarket since February 2020, still ordering online/Instacart. My husband had a hip replacement surgery two weeks ago and we have been extra careful before and after the surgery, even when we are both vaccinated. Honestly, is getting to be very tiring and limiting but we are looking forward to vacation time in September.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    We still have had zero cases of community spread Covid here in North Queensland. I'm guessing that will change once more international borders open eventually maybe next year. We and New Zealand have our bubble which seems to be working so at least there is travel there. Thinking of all that are dealing with this. Keep getting the jab and doing the right things. lokihen, do you have a pet? They are the best or my little dog is :)

I have a master (a cat, of course) and a flock of chickens. Plus one wild turkey who moved in and made the chickens his minions so I call him Gru. It would be a sad world without critters.

I'm so jealous! I really want tons of animals but at least some chicken would be wonderful. That is so funny about the turkey! I'll be travelling Australia more and more soon so no new pets for me :(