GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    ksryzwn4qlcx.jpg
    Got through my lifting today. Tried something a little different to work through this mind/body connection block on my squats. I guess if I keep up the volume it's ok if I don't hit the heavier weight. Still a bummer though.

I was an accidental disagree!! I'm so sorry! ❤️
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    ksryzwn4qlcx.jpg
    Got through my lifting today. Tried something a little different to work through this mind/body connection block on my squats. I guess if I keep up the volume it's ok if I don't hit the heavier weight. Still a bummer though.

I just had a random thought; is it possible it has something to do with balance? Do you have seasonal allergies?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Hmm...idk about the balance thing. I was still off today. I feel like I'm just balking. Or it has something to do with my breathing and getting my hips back. I guess a coach would help.
    Basically did the same routine today:
    jh012vb240ba.jpg

• KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Negatives help you with regulars... So weighted negatives will help more!

cda9x18h7dos.gif
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Hmm...idk about the balance thing. I was still off today. I feel like I'm just balking. Or it has something to do with my breathing and getting my hips back. I guess a coach would help.
    jh012vb240ba.jpg

Thing is... You are doing it. And that is awesome. Sometimes it's a grind, but it's still work that is making you strong. You'll get through this! ❤️❤️
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    jh012vb240ba.jpg

If you’ve been doing this strength workout for a while maybe switch to a more volume/hypertrophy workout to break it up a bit
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    jh012vb240ba.jpg

If you’ve been doing this strength workout for a while maybe switch to a more volume/hypertrophy workout to break it up a bit

This is new since I couldn't do my heavy 5x5. I thought this was more of a volume approach for squats.... maybe not.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    jh012vb240ba.jpg

This is new since I couldn't do my heavy 5x5. I thought this was more of a volume approach for squats.... maybe not.

Was mainly referring to the traditional strength compounds vs like a push pull legs routine which would be like chest shoulders tris - back and bis then legs - just adds in some additional isolation movements and what not
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,094 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Okay, they're not GIFs, but they're stills from my powerlifting meet last weekend. Did relatively easy 297.6 lb Squat, 241 lb Bench and 330 lb Deadlift. I wanted to go 9 for 9 and avoid injury. I accomplished both goals. Sorry about the size of the pics . . .

jmdw2wyq9hoi.jpg

px14mgm2b38r.jpg

hihon326ry7y.jpg

Awesome job and very inspiring
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Okay, they're not GIFs, but they're stills from my powerlifting meet last weekend. Did relatively easy 297.6 lb Squat, 241 lb Bench and 330 lb Deadlift. I wanted to go 9 for 9 and avoid injury. I accomplished both goals. Sorry about the size of the pics . . .

jmdw2wyq9hoi.jpg

px14mgm2b38r.jpg

hihon326ry7y.jpg

Awesome! And you’re rocking the tyedye shirt. I know where you can get great leggings to match. 😉
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Awesome! And you’re rocking the tyedye shirt. I know where you can get great leggings to match. 😉

Knee high socks is all they'll let me use :wink:
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited May 2021
    Options

jmdw2wyq9hoi.jpg

px14mgm2b38r.jpg

hihon326ry7y.jpg

This is so awesome! Congrats on the 9 white lights!
    ⚪⚪⚪
    ⚪⚪⚪
    ⚪⚪⚪

(by 3!)
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

jmdw2wyq9hoi.jpg

px14mgm2b38r.jpg

hihon326ry7y.jpg

d8g4lsarx9gn.gif
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    My trainer has been starting me over to work on technique like chest touches and “*kitten* to the grass”.

Today I did my first “chest touch” bench press over 100 pounds, at 105. My higher benches have all been with a block. I did 125 with the block.

Inspired by y’all, I’ve also started doing OHP. Today is my second time trying. As you can see, after the second one she got after me for hyper extending. The heart is willing, the technique is a work in progress.

And I have to remember, at my age and janky rotator cuff, I’ll never compete, so I need to get over my disappointment I’ll probably never go heavy.

But then I remember, less than three years ago,my BMI was 35 and I was obese. Could I have seen myself doing this then? Ummmmm……nope.

n2y7g6uvdfrz.gif

Yay! Your back looks so strong!

It's good to change things up every once in a while. It makes the body pay attention and may help reset and grow.

I too have rotator cuff past injuries so I'm careful about pushing too hard if I'm not confident. It's awesome you have the trainer you do! Way to kill it!

(And congrats on the badass life changes you've made... You look amazing!)
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    For me, there's a difference between participating in a competition and "competing". I run 5k races with absolutely no hopes of winning with times in the 35 minute range. I participated in a powerlifting meet knowing they have "geriatric" divisions where there's little chance of any real competition. But I get to have my lifts validated by qualified USPA referees/judges and that gives me a "warm fuzzy" feeling. Were I to actually compete in the open class with the 20 & 30-somethings, I'd get annihilated. It's kinda fun, at 62 years old, being able to run, jump & play with my grandchildren.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    There was a guy at our gym yesterday squatting 650 at age 66. And the gym owner’s husband, who is a year older than me, regularly squats far more than that- and he had open heart surgery four or five years ago.

So who or what defines geriatric? It’s not the same for us as it was for our parents, or even many of our friends.

But I get ya. At my age I’m reluctantly discovering that while I feel like I’m finally in pretty ace condition, it’s too late to do some of the stuff I now wish I could. Years of face stuffing couch potatoism took its toll.

So I do the best I can and try to learn to do it properly, simply for my own satisfaction.

I did attemp pull-ups yesterday. (Assisted. Somebody call a forklift, please!!!!!) Yeesh!!! But otoh I killed a series of arm balances in yoga this morning and attribute it to that “failed” pull-up workout yesterday. You never know how or when it’s going to pay off.