Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://youtu.be/mzOf6Cj3T-8

This UK healthcare professional has helped me better Covid-19 immunity questions.
  • GaleHawkins
    https://www.jpost.com/health-science/10-serious-covid-patients-given-israeli-drug-leave-hospital-in-one-day-669564

@Fuzzipeg it sounds like the Indian variety is more serious. I have appreciated Dr. Campbell's input over a year now. He is a voice of reason in the mist of this pandemic. Looks like Israel plans to fight Covid-19 every way possible.
  • GaleHawkins
    https://youtu.be/LYCr0qS7ReY

Sounds like some in Australia are stressed as the end of the pandemic is not in sight. Seems like USA lockdowns are over because of fear of the outcome. Mask usage by store employees and shoppers is approaching Zero locally but high temp and humidity is a factor as well.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    So many of these responses are tangential and do not apply to the scenario described.

As for those mentioning acceptance, sure I get that. BUT, when you are mentioning acceptance of masks, please honestly answer this question. How accepting would you have been a year and a half ago if someone with social anxiety wanted to wear a mask into a bank? My point is that our sudden acceptance of this new norm of wearing masks is not because we suddenly care about the feelings of those with social anxiety, it is because this past year with COVID has made masks normalized. You NEVER could wear a mask into a bank, yet now it is required.

As we learn new information and encounter new situations, different acts become normalized. We make room for varying types of behavior that meet individual needs. This seems like a positive thing overall, not a negative.

While accepting new behaviors is part of life. I personally do not consider masks a positive. I miss facial expressions and seeing people smile. I do not like that people can better hide their identities. I fully accept that some may need them for medical reasons. I am so happy to be fully engaging with people again. Did you hear the story on the news last week about the young boy that encountered his teacher outside of the masked school setting? She had no idea who he was. We can relate and connect with people better when we can see our expressive faces.

A way masks are not a positive for me - I've long suspected I do a little lip reading - it is harder for me to understand people with certain accents when we are on the phone vs speaking in person where I can see them. (Interestingly, after spending a long time working with people from India I apparently adjusted to that accent and stopped having a problem understanding them over the phone.)

So I have a harder time understanding people with accents when they are masked. I notice I look at masks when people are talking, which is not very helpful :lol:

This is me! I suspected hearing issues with certain tones, and I do so much better with movies when there are subtitles (I blamed my ADHD for that one), but I, too, find myself staring at masks when people talk 😬 and frequent repeating is sometimes necessary... throw in a plexiglass barrier with background music and other ambient room noises and there are times I am sure we are both beyond frustrated... I can’t imagine behind behind one and having to do it all day, I would be exhausted!

I have been tested for hearing loss and mechanically my hearing is near perfect. I still struggle to hear people in masks. Even over the phone! It is the muffling affect I assume plus I think I have an auditory processing difficulty on my end.

Yes, my hearing has been tested many times over the years and it is fine.

I also think I have an auditory processing difficulty, but that came from my inability to filter out background noises and the way a situation like a crowded restaurant is almost tortuous for me. The neurology department at the VA was completely unable to help me with this.

This is how it is for me, except I have no trouble 80% of the time. but it's when it changes. When I go from a quiet room to a loud one, or when I go from loud to quiet, or someone starts talking to me close when I've been listening to a speaker across the room. I have trouble with the change, then I adjust and I'm fine.

The worst is getting a phone call I'm not expecting. I often have to ask people to repeat themselves at least once, sometimes twice - no lip-reading or context information. Scheduled calls are different, and calls that I plan and initiate are different.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The CDC isn't just declaring the science, it is translating the science into public policy.

Most of the pros I listen to say that the risk to a vaccinated person, as things currently stand, is quite small. They are however concerned that if all the vaccinated stop wearing masks, the unvaccinated will too. That means we'll never get to herd immunity and COVID-19 will remain this simmering risk that could mutate into something that breaks through vaccine protection at some point. So they are concerned the CDC jumped the gun. They support the science but aren't sure about the public policy decision.

Community protection comes from herd immunity. And even for a vaccinated person, vaccines aren't 100%, it's herd immunity that covers your butt for that remaining small percentage of risk. IMHO public policy should be crafted to support herd immunity, and I'm not sure the CDC decision did that. Obviously, lots of people disagree with that, and I'm not in charge of anything lol. Just an armchair quarterback hoping we can put this behind us as quickly as possible.

Most stores here switched to "masks recommended" or "we would appreciate all unvaccinated people to wear masks" or something similar. Virginia dropped all occupancy restrictions last week, and masks are only required on public transportation I think. I'd say still well over half the folks at the grocery store are still wearing masks, and we have a halfway decent vaxx rate around here too.

I think they are thinking that it helps encourage vaccination to show that there are benefits -- like no more masks -- to being vaccinated, vs it seeming like nothing changes. Of course those of us who consider the protection a benefit see that as odd, but for the more reluctant folks.

My office is asking people to show their proof of vaccination if you want to go maskless in public spaces.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Glad you are feeling better, kshama!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Sorry I haven't been on lately. Just thought I'd share what happened to me today.

I go to a very busy chiropractic chain. It opens at 10 AM and you don't have appointments, so it's first come, first serve. I can have 10 in line within the first five minutes of opening, so I normally get there early.

I've been wearing my mask, even though I'm fully vaccinated. I got there today and I was fourth in line. One lady was first, she was off to the left. Then there was a couple in front of me. I'd guess in their 30's or early 40s.

I'm waiting, in line, for it to open up. As I'm standing there, looking at my phone, I can feel the guy in front of me looking at me, then I start to hear him chirping up to his girlfriend or wife. You can hear, "sheep", "Fauci", you know the typical things of people that are anti-mask. It doesn't bother that much, to be honest.

But then things changed. He starts speaking up and raising his voice at me, "hey you...". After three times, I turn around and it's obvious he's talking to me. So I say, "me?". "Yeah, you", he says. "You vaccinated?", he asks. I say, yeah, yeah I am. "Then why you wearing a mask, because Fauci told you to?".

You have to understand, I'm normally a calm person, but I grew up in the semi hood. I'm starting to get very ticked off at this point. So I said something to the extent of "it's my right to wear a mask". He continues on me. The other people in line start to talk to him to. They are not happy either. He continues on me until, unfortunately, I tell him, "same as your right to be a douch-b". Then he tries to say I was too close to his girlfriend in line. Which wasn't true, but at this point, it's clear he's just trying to pick a fight. I also said it's none of his flippin business why I wear a mask.

At this point, before things escalate, I tapped on the door and asked to be let in because I was being harrassed for wearing a mask.

I still let the other three go ahead of me when they opened. I know the desk people and the chiropractors and they were not happy either that I was harrassed. I remained calm for me.

My wife wasn't happy that I said anything. She's always worried some loose cannon will pull a gun on you. IDK, I was boiling mad for hours.

Despite having some appreciation for your wife's point of view, my OH liked your response ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Glad you are feeling better, kshama!

Thanks!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @kshama2001 -- I wouldn't have even heard of Babesiosis unless I hadn't read a Wash Post article about it 3 days ago. I'm glad you're feeling better. That sounds scary. Being in AZ now, I don't miss ticks. They and mosquitos are here, but rare.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    @Kshama2001 Sorry for what you have gone through. But also very glad it was caught for you. As you know we also live in Mass, most of the time. A number of years ago, my husband fell ill and went to ER. Did spinal tap and the whole works including a Lyme test. The next day, and hour before we received his negative results, he developed the tell tail bulls eye rash. So, if it were not for the rash, they would have not treated him. Our next door neighbor had undiagnosed lyme (had for years before Lyme was IDed for her). She is permanently damaged. Last year, she got COVID from one of her grandchildren that live with them because their mother (the daughter) died. The COVID reactivated the Lyme. Saw the husband the other day and I asked about her. He said she has been back on bed for months.

On another note, you asked about Mass and masks the other day. Just came home from local grocery store. I would say mask use was between 1/4 and 1/3 customers/staff at this store.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The CDC isn't just declaring the science, it is translating the science into public policy.

Most of the pros I listen to say that the risk to a vaccinated person, as things currently stand, is quite small. They are however concerned that if all the vaccinated stop wearing masks, the unvaccinated will too. That means we'll never get to herd immunity and COVID-19 will remain this simmering risk that could mutate into something that breaks through vaccine protection at some point. So they are concerned the CDC jumped the gun. They support the science but aren't sure about the public policy decision.

Community protection comes from herd immunity. And even for a vaccinated person, vaccines aren't 100%, it's herd immunity that covers your butt for that remaining small percentage of risk. IMHO public policy should be crafted to support herd immunity, and I'm not sure the CDC decision did that. Obviously, lots of people disagree with that, and I'm not in charge of anything lol. Just an armchair quarterback hoping we can put this behind us as quickly as possible.

Most stores here switched to "masks recommended" or "we would appreciate all unvaccinated people to wear masks" or something similar. Virginia dropped all occupancy restrictions last week, and masks are only required on public transportation I think. I'd say still well over half the folks at the grocery store are still wearing masks, and we have a halfway decent vaxx rate around here too.

I think they are thinking that it helps encourage vaccination to show that there are benefits -- like no more masks -- to being vaccinated, vs it seeming like nothing changes. Of course those of us who consider the protection a benefit see that as odd, but for the more reluctant folks.

My office is asking people to show their proof of vaccination if you want to go maskless in public spaces.

Yeah, my office is requiring that a copy of your vaccination card be submitted to HR to be considered fully vaccinated. It is required if you want to be able to be maskless at the office; anyone who is maskless in the office and is determined to not be fully vaccinated is subject to a week suspension without pay. Proof of vaccination is also required for personal or business travel without quarantine on return; though international travel regardless of vaccination status still requires quarantine.

We still have several people at the office who are in fact vaccinated fully but refuse to provide a copy of their card to HR. This makes little sense to me...as someone in a high level executive position with access to personnel files, there is way more sensitive information in them than a little card from the NMDOH showing the two dates of your vaccination...that's literally all it shows on the card. Very similar to when a doctors note is required for an extensive (more than 3 days) absence due to illness or a doctor's note clearing someone to return to work after a surgery or something.

Just curious. How does the company know if someone sat on their deck and drank beer by themselves for their whole vacation or travelled to Lord knows where?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yeah, my office is requiring that a copy of your vaccination card be submitted to HR to be considered fully vaccinated. It is required if you want to be able to be maskless at the office; anyone who is maskless in the office and is determined to not be fully vaccinated is subject to a week suspension without pay. Proof of vaccination is also required for personal or business travel without quarantine on return; though international travel regardless of vaccination status still requires quarantine.

We still have several people at the office who are in fact vaccinated fully but refuse to provide a copy of their card to HR. This makes little sense to me...as someone in a high level executive position with access to personnel files, there is way more sensitive information in them than a little card from the NMDOH showing the two dates of your vaccination...that's literally all it shows on the card. Very similar to when a doctors note is required for an extensive (more than 3 days) absence due to illness or a doctor's note clearing someone to return to work after a surgery or something.

Yep, it's just like HR requiring a doctor's note specifying why you need a long absence or some special allowance on site for a medical condition. That note detailing your med condition is kept on file, and probably has far more private info than your covid-19 vaccine card.

Our HR dept is in the corporate office, and their policy is to keep vaccine info at the local office level. So employees are to provide a copy of their card to the GM and he is keeping a list. He says we are 85% vaccinated, which means 6 employees have not provided it and will need to continue to mask. No policy has been announced as to what happens if they don't. I think our GM is hoping it won't be an issue. But two of those employees have told coworkers they are both anti vaxx and anti mask. It will be interesting to see how long the policy goes on and if they are willing to mask the whole time. I also know a couple of high risk coworkers who are vaxxed but will mask on site in an abundance of caution.

FYI we were told that while a company is within it's rights to ask about vaccine and have attendance/behavior policy based on it, we are not allowed to ask interviewees if they are vaccinated, as you are not allowed to discriminate in hiring based on that.

That's interesting. Is it a state thing? There was an interview on a statewide (Michigan) public radio program here recently, with an expert on that area of law. I admit I was only loosely paying attention (I don't have employees 😉), but I was under the impression that employers could make vaccination a condition of employment. I'm not sure whether that was something they could ask about in an interview, or something that would be part of the new-employee intake process and a hard disqualifier to actual hiring (which is how drug tests were, last I knew).