Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,853 Member
    edited May 2021
    kimny72 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @kimny72 I am assuming your response relates to my latest comment. I keep saying that my comment was in context. I would ask you that if you had no allergies and you were in your private backyard with no one in sight, would YOU where a mask in that situation? I wear mine in all public settings and often it is still on when I get to the car. I don't rip my mask off either and am always respectful of the mask wearing - even the ones who wear it and wear it wrong. I embarrass no one. I am shocked that I am getting such blowback given it was a specific scenario that I was addressing and describing.

You mustve replied while I was adding the ETA to my response. We posted at the same time so I hadnt seen your post.

I appreciate that @kimny72. thanks for the ETA and I appologize for directing my next comment back at you.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I get the differences in opinion on masks but can we all agree that some are just being silly. I was just driving my car and I am in an area were street are 25 feet wide and both cars and people are not frequent. It is a quiet area. Despite that, when I was out driving I passed a woman walking a dog. No other humans in sight and she was wearing a mask. Those are the people I don’t understand.

I really do think for some it's just political symbolism. I'm a Dem myself and live in an area where mostly everyone else is, and here most don't wear masks outdoors, but I've definitely seen on Twitter people saying they will keep wearing masks everywhere so as not to be taken as Rs.

I also am near an area that is largely Asian and we had people masking pre covid, but that's not what I'm talking about.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    So many of these responses are tangential and do not apply to the scenario described.

As for those mentioning acceptance, sure I get that. BUT, when you are mentioning acceptance of masks, please honestly answer this question. How accepting would you have been a year and a half ago if someone with social anxiety wanted to wear a mask into a bank? My point is that our sudden acceptance of this new norm of wearing masks is not because we suddenly care about the feelings of those with social anxiety, it is because this past year with COVID has made masks normalized. You NEVER could wear a mask into a bank, yet now it is required.

As we learn new information and encounter new situations, different acts become normalized. We make room for varying types of behavior that meet individual needs. This seems like a positive thing overall, not a negative.

While accepting new behaviors is part of life. I personally do not consider masks a positive. I miss facial expressions and seeing people smile. I do not like that people can better hide their identities. I fully accept that some may need them for medical reasons. I am so happy to be fully engaging with people again. Did you hear the story on the news last week about the young boy that encountered his teacher outside of the masked school setting? She had no idea who he was. We can relate and connect with people better when we can see our expressive faces.

100% agree with this.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Just doing a general response. Remember I put this in context. I did not bring up any of the other individuals where their mask choice may have not been mine, but I could figure out a scenario where it made sense.

This woman was in a neighborhood where no destination walks go on in this area. Streets are super wide. I began walking them myself last fall and have been never come closer than the 25 ft width of the street (yes, due to action and choice but still never close). So, from a COVID point of view, the choice this woman made happens to not make sense to me. Though, I had not thought of the point of view of allergies or pollen and that may be the case. From a contagion point of view, in this scenario as outlined, it made no sense. And yes, I can agree it is her choice, but I am also allowed to think it is illogical. I have done nothing to harm or shame her so these thoughts that I have have done nothing to hurt her either.

@galehawkins thanks for sharing that. Something I wonder though is does that change the expected or required vaccination actions of those with previously diagnosed COVID cases.

@SModa61 I gather it does NOT change the expected or required vaccination action. Borders requiring Vax Proof will still do so I'm expect.

Huge to me is the implication the vaccination efforts maybe longer lasting. This may encourage some to go ahead an get vaccinated now.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    What has occasionally struck me as odd is that I am instantly recognizable even with a mask on. Early in the pandemic I ran into a retired former colleague that I probably haven't seen in 15 years and he spotted me right away. Guess I'd better reconsider that side gig as a bank robber.

We are required to be masked at work in all common areas, which means everywhere but your own cubicle. I get fed up with navigating the ear loops around my hair and dangly earrings so I have a tendency to just wear it under my chin when I'm in my own space. I'm well aware that this is NOT a good look for a woman with a 57 year old neck :D That mask is better off on my face, aesthetically speaking.

I went to a pharmacy I once worked at for my shots. At that time I was very cautious and wore a P100 half mask, the ones with the round pink filters, and nobody knew me even when I made eye contact and spoke to them. Last week I went there wearing a cloth mask and everyone recognized me.