33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Wow, masking has dropped way off here. :/ The governor gave his permission that if you're fully vaccinated, you can go without a mask. I went to the grocery store this a.m. and besides myself, there was 1 other person I saw who was wearing a mask.
    I'm not sure I agree or am comfortable about it but what are ya gonna do? I'll just continue doing what I'm doing and see what this new guideline does to our numbers.

I am now fully vaccinated (13 days post second dose) and I am going to ditch the mask as soon as it is allowable wherever I am not required to wear it. Any store I have been in recently still has a sign up telling us to wear one, so of course I do.

Why are you ditching the mask so soon? I wouldn't be if I lived there. You are still at risk of catching it and it's just a mask. Keep as safe as you can if in crowded places with others close to you. Just my thoughts on it unless it makes you feel unwell when using it then why not stay as say as possible for a little longer? Not enough are vaccinated yet.

We have a very high vaccination rate here (75% first dose so far) and I am confident in the science that the vaccines will protect us. Even with only first doses our cases are plummeting here. My family has all been vaccinated (most first and getting second soon) as are all my work colleagues.

I trusted the science as it evolved with masking, vaccines, distancing etc - so when the science also tells me that vaccines are effective and masks are no longer necessary I trust that as well.

The problem is that the delta variant is very infectious and one dose of any vaccine only offers about 30% protection, according to my readings. The only way to have more protection is to have both vaccines.

Delta Variant and COVID-19 Vaccines: What to Know https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210610/delta-variant-and-covid-19-vaccines-what-to-know

A study conducted in the United Kingdom that was cited by the Biden administration finds that one dose of the Pfizer vaccine provided about 33% protection against the delta variant, which is officially designated B.1.617.2.

Two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, meanwhile, provided about 88% protection. The study is a pre-print and has not yet been peer reviewed. (Click here to learn more about coronavirus variants.)

The info I read is that one does of Pfizer is 94% effective in preventing hospitalization with the Delta variant, and 96% after two doses. I have had two doses - I am as protected as I am going to be at this point. If I do happen to get exposed I am VERY unlikely to need hospitalization or medical care.

I think that the end point of hospitalization rates and deaths is a more important gauge for effectiveness at this point.

Last month there was a local epidemic of the Delta variant inside a hospital that had more than 80 infections, and families of hospital workers were also infected. 7 elderly people died (and considering the vaccination rates in the elderly, it’s likely that most of them had at least one, probably two shots). 80% of those infected in this local epidemic had received at least one shot. 11% of the hospital staff in the department where the epidemic started were infected, even though most hospital staff has received two vaccinations, and half of them had symptoms, some serious.

Granted, the infected patients were already *in* the hospital for some other reason so they weren’t in full health when infected, but those numbers are still concerning, especially the ones about hospital staff who has already received 2 vaccinations.

Since this was a hospital breakout, the problem wasn’t just that people got the virus and some mild symptoms. The problem was a large number of hospital staff being quarantined, so there wasn’t enough people to take care of other patients. The hospital area had to temporarily shut down all functions except emergency room and emergency surgeries, ICU and childbirth units to make sure they can still perform those critical duties, and the area went into full lockdown, schools went remote, graduation ceremonies were cancelled etc.

Well that is concerning.

I am a bit confused as to how you would have a breakout in a hospital with 80 infections. I mean there are covid patients in every hospital here at this point and have been for months I haven't heard of it being spread like that through the staff.

If you are saying that it is spreading inside a hospital where staff are presumably using high level infection control procedures and personal protective equipment, plus everyone is fully vaccinated, then I don't even know what to say about that. That is pretty shocking. It would seem at that point that everything we have been doing to control it is pretty much futile.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Wow, masking has dropped way off here. :/ The governor gave his permission that if you're fully vaccinated, you can go without a mask. I went to the grocery store this a.m. and besides myself, there was 1 other person I saw who was wearing a mask.
    I'm not sure I agree or am comfortable about it but what are ya gonna do? I'll just continue doing what I'm doing and see what this new guideline does to our numbers.

I am now fully vaccinated (13 days post second dose) and I am going to ditch the mask as soon as it is allowable wherever I am not required to wear it. Any store I have been in recently still has a sign up telling us to wear one, so of course I do.

Why are you ditching the mask so soon? I wouldn't be if I lived there. You are still at risk of catching it and it's just a mask. Keep as safe as you can if in crowded places with others close to you. Just my thoughts on it unless it makes you feel unwell when using it then why not stay as say as possible for a little longer? Not enough are vaccinated yet.

We have a very high vaccination rate here (75% first dose so far) and I am confident in the science that the vaccines will protect us. Even with only first doses our cases are plummeting here. My family has all been vaccinated (most first and getting second soon) as are all my work colleagues.

I trusted the science as it evolved with masking, vaccines, distancing etc - so when the science also tells me that vaccines are effective and masks are no longer necessary I trust that as well.

The problem is that the delta variant is very infectious and one dose of any vaccine only offers about 30% protection, according to my readings. The only way to have more protection is to have both vaccines.

Delta Variant and COVID-19 Vaccines: What to Know https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210610/delta-variant-and-covid-19-vaccines-what-to-know

A study conducted in the United Kingdom that was cited by the Biden administration finds that one dose of the Pfizer vaccine provided about 33% protection against the delta variant, which is officially designated B.1.617.2.

Two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, meanwhile, provided about 88% protection. The study is a pre-print and has not yet been peer reviewed. (Click here to learn more about coronavirus variants.)

The info I read is that one does of Pfizer is 94% effective in preventing hospitalization with the Delta variant, and 96% after two doses. I have had two doses - I am as protected as I am going to be at this point. If I do happen to get exposed I am VERY unlikely to need hospitalization or medical care.

I think that the end point of hospitalization rates and deaths is a more important gauge for effectiveness at this point.

Last month there was a local epidemic of the Delta variant inside a hospital that had more than 80 infections, and families of hospital workers were also infected. 7 elderly people died (and considering the vaccination rates in the elderly, it’s likely that most of them had at least one, probably two shots). 80% of those infected in this local epidemic had received at least one shot. 11% of the hospital staff in the department where the epidemic started were infected, even though most hospital staff has received two vaccinations, and half of them had symptoms, some serious.

Granted, the infected patients were already *in* the hospital for some other reason so they weren’t in full health when infected, but those numbers are still concerning, especially the ones about hospital staff who has already received 2 vaccinations.

Since this was a hospital breakout, the problem wasn’t just that people got the virus and some mild symptoms. The problem was a large number of hospital staff being quarantined, so there wasn’t enough people to take care of other patients. The hospital area had to temporarily shut down all functions except emergency room and emergency surgeries, ICU and childbirth units to make sure they can still perform those critical duties, and the area went into full lockdown, schools went remote, graduation ceremonies were cancelled etc.

Well that is concerning.

I am a bit confused as to how you would have a breakout in a hospital with 80 infections. I mean there are covid patients in every hospital here at this point and have been for months I haven't heard of it being spread like that through the staff.

If you are saying that it is spreading inside a hospital where staff are presumably using high level infection control procedures and personal protective equipment, plus everyone is fully vaccinated, then I don't even know what to say about that. That is pretty shocking. It would seem at that point that everything we have been doing to control it is pretty much futile.

I absolutely agree. I don't know the exact details about how it happened, I've only been reading the newspaper, and I'm pretty sure there's going to be some sort of investigation into this. My best guess is that there was someone asymptomatic and/or false negative test spreading it, whether it was a patient or staff member or both.

Thankfully that situation is now under control and from what I understand they're pretty much back to normal in the hospital and in the area.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    Breaking news: AZ vaccine in Australia will only be for over 60's
    Pfizer for all under 60's
    Changed from 50 as of today.

I presume those under 60 who have already had one dose of AZ still get their 2nd dose though

We (Canada) are giving those who received AZ the option of taking Pfizer or Moderna for their second dose. Everyone I know who got first dose AZ chose to get an mRNA second shot. I guess vaccine science in general supports mixing doses, and the preliminary data on this specific combination is good.

(But we aren't using AZ for first doses for anyone anymore - there was a small cohort of about I believe a million people who received it.)

Also now that we are getting a boatload of Moderna vaccine I suspect that they will start mixing that with those who got Pfizer for the first dose. Because our strategy was to give everyone we could a first dose, we now are getting a bunch of Moderna in time for second shots - but hardly anyone got it for their first.

Everyone I know who went to the public health unit vaccine clinic got Pfizer except me, I got Moderna. The SO got his two days after me (same week) and got Pfizer.

When Ford announced the accelerated second shots in Ontario, in our district we were looking at shortages of Moderna so I thought they might mix mine. So it's interesting to hear now that there's a big influx of Moderna.

When my oldest son got his first (in Toronto) he got Pfizer but they said it just depends what they have that day, some days that same clinic were giving Moderna. We are supposed to be getting I think 7 million Moderna in June so you should be good for your second dose. But yeah since most people got Pfizer for their first dose if they don't mix it it seems like they will have too much Moderna? Idk - I guess that is what happens when they stopped holding the second doses and just used whatever they had for the first.
    I got both Pfizer but if they had given me Moderna for my second I honestly wouldn't have cared - I'm sure it would be fine. My neighbour asked my husband which vaccine he got and he didn't even know, he just took what they gave him, lol. Some people are picky though - my son insisted he would only take the Pfizer vaccine - idk why I think they are both basically the same.
    Did you have side effects from your first dose? I have the impression that Moderna has more side effects than Pfizer.

My second shot isn't until September 6th and I won't even be eligible to rebook until August 2nd, don't know if that will actually get me an appointment any earlier than what I already have so who knows what the supply will be then.

I had NO side effects whatsoever, other than a day or two of mild tenderness at the injection site if I touched it, which was probably from the injection itself and not the vaccine.

When I gave verbal consent to be vaccinated I was specifically asked "for the Moderna vaccine" so I knew which one it was, plus my emailed "receipt" states the type.
  • 33gail33

I presume those under 60 who have already had one dose of AZ still get their 2nd dose though

We (Canada) are giving those who received AZ the option of taking Pfizer or Moderna for their second dose. Everyone I know who got first dose AZ chose to get an mRNA second shot. I guess vaccine science in general supports mixing doses, and the preliminary data on this specific combination is good.

(But we aren't using AZ for first doses for anyone anymore - there was a small cohort of about I believe a million people who received it.)

Also now that we are getting a boatload of Moderna vaccine I suspect that they will start mixing that with those who got Pfizer for the first dose. Because our strategy was to give everyone we could a first dose, we now are getting a bunch of Moderna in time for second shots - but hardly anyone got it for their first.

Everyone I know who went to the public health unit vaccine clinic got Pfizer except me, I got Moderna. The SO got his two days after me (same week) and got Pfizer.

When Ford announced the accelerated second shots in Ontario, in our district we were looking at shortages of Moderna so I thought they might mix mine. So it's interesting to hear now that there's a big influx of Moderna.

When my oldest son got his first (in Toronto) he got Pfizer but they said it just depends what they have that day, some days that same clinic were giving Moderna. We are supposed to be getting I think 7 million Moderna in June so you should be good for your second dose. But yeah since most people got Pfizer for their first dose if they don't mix it it seems like they will have too much Moderna? Idk - I guess that is what happens when they stopped holding the second doses and just used whatever they had for the first.
    I got both Pfizer but if they had given me Moderna for my second I honestly wouldn't have cared - I'm sure it would be fine. My neighbour asked my husband which vaccine he got and he didn't even know, he just took what they gave him, lol. Some people are picky though - my son insisted he would only take the Pfizer vaccine - idk why I think they are both basically the same.
    Did you have side effects from your first dose? I have the impression that Moderna has more side effects than Pfizer.

My second shot isn't until September 6th and I won't even be eligible to rebook until August 2nd, don't know if that will actually get me an appointment any earlier than what I already have so who knows what the supply will be then.

I had NO side effects whatsoever, other than a day or two of mild tenderness at the injection site if I touched it, which was probably from the injection itself and not the vaccine.

When I gave verbal consent to be vaccinated I was specifically asked "for the Moderna vaccine" so I knew which one it was, plus my emailed "receipt" states the type.

Oh yeah I am sure that my husband was told the type as well he just didn't pay attention to it. :) I knew what we were getting.

I read yesterday that everyone is going to be eligible to rebook by June 28 I think they are really pushing to get everyone in sooner. My kids are also early September at this point.

A new wrinkle in the mixed doses I never thought of is travel - people are wondering if they will be considered "fully vaccinated" by international standards.

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Is it the same science? I thought that the recommendations were changing as new info comes to light?
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

That is fine but I would'nt trust it too much but you do as you wish of course. If I lived there I wouldn't trust it all and keep cautious for a while longer. Take care. Do what you feel you need to do. I can't see being cautious a bad thing.

The same science that told us to wear a mask (which I believed and,did) is now saying masks not needed if fully vaccinated.

Why would you believe one statement and not the other?

• 33gail33
    edited June 2021

Well that is concerning.

I absolutely agree. I don't know the exact details about how it happened, I've only been reading the newspaper, and I'm pretty sure there's going to be some sort of investigation into this. My best guess is that there was someone asymptomatic and/or false negative test spreading it, whether it was a patient or staff member or both.

Thankfully that situation is now under control and from what I understand they're pretty much back to normal in the hospital and in the area.

The scenario you are describing is very much at odds to any other information I have seen about vaccine efficacy with regards to the delta variant, and also to our experience here with cases dropping significantly as vaccines are administered, even with the delta variant becoming more prevalent. This recent analysis from Public Health England shows strong efficacy even with one dose - so it's really odd.

I guess time will tell whether we really will be getting significant vaccine breakthrough cases. I hope not.

https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view/479607266
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

Oh yeah I am sure that my husband was told the type as well he just didn't pay attention to it. :) I knew what we were getting.

I read yesterday that everyone is going to be eligible to rebook by June 28 I think they are really pushing to get everyone in sooner. My kids are also early September at this point.

A new wrinkle in the mixed doses I never thought of is travel - people are wondering if they will be considered "fully vaccinated" by international standards.

Yes, I just saw that this morning. Although "eligible to book" and getting a spot quickly are two different things here. I'm not sure how far away appointments are being booked now. My dad was in the first group (80+) and only had to wait two weeks for his new appointment but that's not a big population cohort.

I saw something about international travellers who have been vaccinated with Astra Zeneca not being allowed to enter the US because it's not an approved vaccine so they won't be considered "vaccinated"? Given the popularity of AZ overseas, you'd think that would really hurt tourism.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I prefer NOT to get exposed. I trust science, I just have a problem these days trusting people... I am fully vaccinated since the end of February, but I don't know if people around me are fully vaccinated too or just faking it so they don't have to wear masks.

Better safe than sorry, and being careful doesn't affect anybody, so what's the problem?

I don't really think anyone has a problem with/if people want to continue to mask. People do seem to have some kind of a problem with people who no longer want to mask because they are fully vaccinated and the CDC says you don't have to.... There have already been several comments in here about "why would you take your mask off so soon" and such...as if those of us who no longer are wearing one because we're fully vaccinated are doing something egregious or totally outrageous.

Yes, that's how I've been interpreting the current comments too. No one objecting to people continuing to wear masks if they want, but instead just saying it's not bad or crazy to be comfortable not wearing one where it's not required. (Most places around here do still require it for shopping, so I wear it for that, and probably would for a while even where it's not -- I wore one in WFs yesterday. But I'm fine with others not wearing one too.)