What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Relocation in 5-mos. I've lived in 11 US states.

Change is good. But, where to go at this stage of life?

Would be nice to settle someplace for good... my restless, gypsy genes always seem to toss themselves in the way.

Sooo... toss a dart at a map?

giphy.gif

look for good weather and low taxes.

I can think of a few places off the top of my head.....
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,493 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Would be nice to settle someplace for good... my restless, gypsy genes always seem to toss themselves in the way.

giphy.gif

ut181edz6y4z.gif

Low Taxes,,,,,,,,,,,, good one!
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

I’d tell you where but I don’t want neighbors. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • BraydanTaffy
    BraydanTaffy Posts: 504 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

giphy.gif

Which places were you thinking, states with no income tax?

FL has no income tax, but weather is brutal & COL/rents are very high... my rent is going up by at least $600, but I'd be leaving the apt/state, anyway. This Covid world has changed a lot (crime, homelessness, jobs)... it's doubtful I'd ever venture back to CA at this point, although it fulfills the weather desire & San Diego / N. Beach areas are my fave places to live.

Austin had nice, dry heat, no income tax, but COL/rents are off the hook.

Ah, well, anyone know a good yurt for rent?
  • BraydanTaffy
    Options
    tmanfive wrote: »

giphy.gif

If I want gator/frog eatin' neighbors, I could just stay in FL. :sunglasses:
  • Sweet_A
    Sweet_A Posts: 7,694 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Sweet_A wrote: »
    u33f39vbkdcj.jpeg

@Sweet_A

Heck yeah!

It appears that France now has their own version of Steve Bartman.

Don't know what I'm talking about ?

Look into the Stage 1 crash involving a spectator.

If I'm her, I'm crawling under a rock for the next 1000 years.

@Motorsheen
    It was definitely sad seeing them crash!
    🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Where’ve you been? I’m taking notes because I’m on the same wavelength right now. Looking at states to possibly settle in. I’ve only lived in both the Carolinas’ so far. California would be for if I ever struck it rich.
    I’m thinking for myself staying in the south as I’m not a fan of the cold. Not gonna catch me in Motorsheen desssert Arizona either! 🥵
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    tmanfive wrote: »

giphy.gif

If I want gator/frog eatin' neighbors, I could just stay in FL. :sunglasses:

Touché, but the gator and frog legs was just to mix things up. In a couple days I’ll be back to smoking ribs and brisket. grilling Wagu (al be it fake wagu) burgers, and steaks and boiling lobster tails.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    A juicy burger 🍔
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Elcee2020 wrote: »
    A juicy burger 🍔

Yumm, have one for me too. 😉

Im flat out eating one.. Im getting a works burger, but I'd share with you. The local takeaway makes the best works burgers.
  • BraydanTaffy
    Options

giphy.gif

Where’ve you been? I’m taking notes because I’m on the same wavelength right now. Looking at states to possibly settle in. I’ve only lived in both the Carolinas’ so far. California would be for if I ever struck it rich.
    I’m thinking for myself staying in the south as I’m not a fan of the cold. Not gonna catch me in Motorsheen desssert Arizona either! 🥵

I've lived in every region of the country, always in big cities... from L.A. to San Diego, Seattle, Denver, Austin, Indy, Boston, NYC, Atlanta, several cities in FL, NC & a few more. I initially said 10 states... I think it's 12.

Same as you, San Diego to Santa Barbara (lived in 4 cities between the 2) is perfect, but only if you have a good job. Off my list now, but SoCal is the only place I've ever lived that feels like home. I've also lived most of my life walking distance from one ocean or another, so do miss it horribly if I'm away from the beach. And, a lake doesn't cut it... I like the ocean.

I've considered Scottsdale, where I've been several times, but COL is high & at least initially, I may need to take a hold-me-over type of job... rents are my biggest concern, atm.

Also considered OKC, cuz I love the feel of the place, but upon research, I see it's a very religious place & although I'm not religious & don't care if others are, I don't want to be preached to, like I've found in the southeast. I don't know if that will be an issue... I don't want any issues at all being forced on me throughout the day, whether political, religious, lifestyle, like vegetarianism, etc... it's exhausting. But, rents are very affordable there.

Boise, ID was another place I've considered. I've met & very much liked people from there, but again, upon research, there is something called the Boise smell from sewage plants & 170 landfills within city limits. I've got allergies/asthma & don't take drugs for either (allergic to an exhaustive list of meds)... I don't need rural fresh air (never experienced it anyway & I live quite well in pollution), but those smells must be awful, at least that's what I've read.

Some places I can't live cuz the trees are too much & I just can never breath... like Indy. CO altitude gives me nosebleeds & a head like a water balloon everyday... even after 2-yrs. Also, any place where there are wood burning stoves... well, I can never go outside, cuz one whiff & I'm gasping for air.

Safety is a big concern. Just this month my house has had attempted breakins twice & I live alone & was here both times. I need to feel safe.

I don't want humidity, but financially, I don't have the luxury of the perfect weather of Santa Barbara, atm. I need to be in a place big enough where I can find a job. Warm is nice, but I lived most of my life in frigid cold & snow, so I can tolerate that, too. FL is too humid, COL is dreadfully high & rents are going up substantially, due to all the people coming here since Covid. Food's also more than I paid in CA.

I'd also like to return to the PNW, but don't think I could afford that either.

Not sure any of this helps. I just keep researching & pulling up list after list of the Top 10 cities for this, that or the other.

Good luck!
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

I've lived in every region of the country, always in big cities... from L.A. to San Diego, Seattle, Denver, Austin, Indy, Boston, NYC, Atlanta, several cities in FL, NC & a few more. I initially said 10 states... I think it's 12.

Same as you, San Diego to Santa Barbara (lived in 4 cities between the 2) is perfect, but only if you have a good job. Off my list now, but SoCal is the only place I've ever lived that feels like home. I've also lived most of my life walking distance from one ocean or another, so do miss it horribly if I'm away from the beach. And, a lake doesn't cut it... I like the ocean.

I've considered Scottsdale, where I've been several times, but COL is high & at least initially, I may need to take a hold-me-over type of job... rents are my biggest concern, atm.

Also considered OKC, cuz I love the feel of the place, but upon research, I see it's a very religious place & although I'm not religious & don't care if others are, I don't want to be preached to, like I've found in the southeast. I don't know if that will be an issue... I don't want any issues at all being forced on me throughout the day, whether political, religious, lifestyle, like vegetarianism, etc... it's exhausting. But, rents are very affordable there.

Boise, ID was another place I've considered. I've met & very much liked people from there, but again, upon research, there is something called the Boise smell from sewage plants & 170 landfills within city limits. I've got allergies/asthma & don't take drugs for either (allergic to an exhaustive list of meds)... I don't need rural fresh air (never experienced it anyway & I live quite well in pollution), but those smells must be awful, at least that's what I've read.

Some places I can't live cuz the trees are too much & I just can never breath... like Indy. CO altitude gives me nosebleeds & a head like a water balloon everyday... even after 2-yrs. Also, any place where there are wood burning stoves... well, I can never go outside, cuz one whiff & I'm gasping for air.

Safety is a big concern. Just this month my house has had attempted breakins twice & I live alone & was here both times. I need to feel safe.

I don't want humidity, but financially, I don't have the luxury of the perfect weather of Santa Barbara, atm. I need to be in a place big enough where I can find a job. Warm is nice, but I lived most of my life in frigid cold & snow, so I can tolerate that, too. FL is too humid, COL is dreadfully high & rents are going up substantially, due to all the people coming here since Covid. Food's also more than I paid in CA.

Not sure any of this helps. I just keep researching & pulling up list after list of the Top 10 cities for this, that or the other.

Good luck!

Thanks for this response, it’s very thought out and helpful. Rent is skyrocketing in and around Charlotte NC where I am now too. Insane prices for bad neighborhoods and places not up to code.
    I’ve been eyeing GA recently. I feel the same about trying to stay coastal but a lake or river sounds good to me. I love the sound of the ocean and the general beach town vibes but for swimming purposes I prefer freshwater. I’ve never been a city girl but more like a convenience town. I’m always in the surrounding a city area.
    I don't know what life without humidity is like and when I’ve traveled in planes where the air is dry it’s wrecked my sinus. Could be nice though to not feel like you’re swimming everywhere you go.
    The focus for me is finding that decently priced cottage in the woods but close enough to civilization because what am I gonna do, make my own iced coffee!? Off grid sounds all fun and games until I have to do literally everything myself. 😅 I have a need for convenience.
    Good luck to both of us in our quests!
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    What movie to watch? 🤔
  • BraydanTaffy
    edited June 2021
    Options

giphy.gif

Good luck!

Thanks for this response, it’s very thought out and helpful. Rent is skyrocketing in and around Charlotte NC where I am now too. Insane prices for bad neighborhoods and places not up to code.
    I’ve been eyeing GA recently. I feel the same about trying to stay coastal but a lake or river sounds good to me. I love the sound of the ocean and the general beach town vibes but for swimming purposes I prefer freshwater. I’ve never been a city girl but more like a convenience town. I’m always in the surrounding a city area.
    I don't know what life without humidity is like and when I’ve traveled in planes where the air is dry it’s wrecked my sinus. Could be nice though to not feel like you’re swimming everywhere you go.
    The focus for me is finding that decently priced cottage in the woods but close enough to civilization because what am I gonna do, make my own iced coffee!? Off grid sounds all fun and games until I have to do literally everything myself. 😅 I have a need for convenience.

You're very welcome. I appreciate feedback, too... it helps brainstorm, to reinforce research or rule in/out ideas.

Town, cottage in the woods, fresh water lake... New England... NH, VT, ME, in particular, or even places in small town PA is what you're describing, but if you're completely cold/snow adverse, then nothing north would serve your purposes in any region. At least that narrows down your choices as it eliminates more than 1/2 of the country.

If the desert is too hot, that eliminates the southwestern states, too. So, it seems as if you're in the right region... southeast.

While you're looking into GA, I had friends who lived in Huntsville, AL. It's a nice place, huge lake where many go on weekends & still is a safer place. My friends worked in the tech industry & they said finding a job was no issue... of course, all of this is pre-Covid. I stayed with them for a week about 5-yrs ago & it was very nice. I liked Birmingham, too, but I haven't been there for decades, so have no idea what it's like now. It's small, city-wise, but lots of people & fast traffic, which you may not like, but maybe the outskirts would be to your liking?

When I lived in Atlanta, I had friends who were from Knoxville & Chattanooga. We visited their family several times. Both areas are nice, but they were from fairly well off families in great 'hoods... unsure if that's reflective of the majority of both areas... & that was also long ago... unsure what it's like now, but I liked both cities... had a nice feel.

I'm open to most regions (no offense, but I've excluded the southeast for a host of reasons... lived here long enough), but I'd prefer a drier climate. In the forefront is lower living costs (my bare bones rent, utilities & mandatory community fees are $1,600 for a small 1b... I have 2 friends in upstate NY who pay $500 & $450 for large, newly renovated 2b apts), but I also need to be near jobs... they live in them thar hills, closer to Canada than any large US city.

Good luck researching. Keep me posted! Good luck.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

giphy.gif

Good luck!

You're very welcome. I appreciate feedback, too... it helps brainstorm, to reinforce research or rule in/out ideas.

Town, cottage in the woods, fresh water lake... New England... NH, VT, ME, in particular, or even places in small town PA is what you're describing, but if you're completely cold/snow adverse, then nothing north would serve your purposes in any region. At least that narrows down your choices as it eliminates more than 1/2 of the country.

If the desert is too hot, that eliminates the southwestern states, too. So, it seems as if you're in the right region... southeast.

While you're looking into GA, I had friends who lived in Huntsville, AL. It's a nice place, huge lake where many go on weekends & still is a safer place. My friends worked in the tech industry & they said finding a job was no issue... of course, all of this is pre-Covid. I stayed with them for a week about 5-yrs ago & it was very nice. I liked Birmingham, too, but I haven't been there for decades, so have no idea what it's like now. It's small, city-wise, but lots of people & fast traffic, which you may not like, but maybe the outskirts would be to your liking?

When I lived in Atlanta, I had friends who were from Knoxville & Chattanooga. We visited their family several times. Both areas are nice, but they were from fairly well off families in great 'hoods... unsure if that's reflective of the majority of both areas... & that was also long ago... unsure what it's like now, but I liked both cities... had a nice feel.

I'm open to most regions (no offense, but I've excluded the southeast for a host of reasons... lived here long enough), but I'd prefer a drier climate. In the forefront is lower living costs (my bare bones rent, utilities & mandatory community fees are $1,600 for a small 1b... I have 2 friends in upstate NY who pay $500 & $450 for large, newly renovated 2b apts), but I also need to be near jobs... they live in them thar hills, closer to Canada than any large US city.

Good luck researching. Keep me posted! Good luck.

@BraydanTaffy

Consider:

Tucson AZ: (low rent prices / college town / hot climate)

Scottsdale AZ: (higher rent prices / exploding job market / hot climate / great culture)

Knoxville TN: (great location / college town )

Reno / Lake Tahoe NV: (low rent prices / good job market / safe / four definitive seasons - none too severe)

*edit - For the record, I've touched all 50 states and have spent time in almost every major American city. Some places are awesome, some are overrated. Climate, culture, safety and cost of living are all important.