Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Susie. Thank you, that is reassuring. It did seem like a big free for all but what does one know from the other side of the pond. Thank you.

I should have read on. Child marriage is possible in some states!!! I'm glad I live here and not in one of those states.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Susie. Thank you, that is reassuring. It did seem like a big free for all but what does one know from the other side of the pond. Thank you.

I should have read on. Child marriage is possible in some states!!! I'm glad I live here and not in one of those states.

I think you are jumping to conclusions about what is going on and how different it is from the UK:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/child-marriage-british-girls-b1812608.html

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/may/04/child-marriage-thriving-in-uk-due-to-legal-loophole-warn-rights-groups#:~:text=1 month old-,Child marriage 'thriving in UK' due to,legal loophole, warn rights groups&text=Furthermore, there is no legal,taking place – at any age.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I checked the CDC website and although they don't recommend mixing vaccines, they do consider those who have had two different mRNA vaccines to be fully vaccinated, so that is encouraging.

That's good news. I don't know what I will end up getting for my second but my first was Moderna and we may be back into Pfizer supply (and short of Moderna) by the time of my appointment. I don't see a problem with efficacy, my concern was whether or not mixed brands would qualify for "vaccinated" status for international travel.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I checked the CDC website and although they don't recommend mixing vaccines, they do consider those who have had two different mRNA vaccines to be fully vaccinated, so that is encouraging.

That's good news. I don't know what I will end up getting for my second but my first was Moderna and we may be back into Pfizer supply (and short of Moderna) by the time of my appointment. I don't see a problem with efficacy, my concern was whether or not mixed brands would qualify for "vaccinated" status for international travel.

That was our concern too but when it came down to getting a shot or waiting for Pfizer they chose to take the shot. If there are travel problems down the line I guess they will deal with it then - but given the info from the CDC I don't anticipate there being an issue.

"If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine." -- CDC website

And our 2nd vaccine receipts both say the same thing "You have received 2 valid dose(s)" so I think they are good to go.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

This has been my main concern and I'm not sure enough people have considered it (or maybe they don't care about travel like us?) There are definitely countries that are not accepting mix and match as proof of vaccine - Barbados is one. I haven't looked into every country's requirements though and they may change as time goes on and research does come out, but I am certainly not willing risking not being able to get into a country because I did the mix and match method.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Anyone else got mixed doses of Pfizer and Moderna?

I got both Pfizer but my kids got Pfizer first and then Moderna ... the great Canadian vaccine experiment continues. I mean it's a new vaccine for everyone but Canada is sure pushing the uncertainty more than most countries. :smile: They are telling us to take whatever is available, which right now seems to be only Moderna.

you can say that again! while mix and match may be the least of our problems, don't forget about us spreading the doses 4 months apart instead of the recommended 21 days and using expired vaccines! Oh Canada!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

This has been my main concern and I'm not sure enough people have considered it (or maybe they don't care about travel like us?) There are definitely countries that are not accepting mix and match as proof of vaccine - Barbados is one. I haven't looked into every country's requirements though and they may change as time goes on and research does come out, but I am certainly not willing risking not being able to get into a country because I did the mix and match method.

My daughter is a flight attendant (currently laid off of course) so they are gonna have to figure it out for international travel. Personally I think that two mRNA will end up being acceptable - but I could be wrong. And at least a million people got AZ and then Moderna (my sister is one of them - Trudeau might be as well?), so I can't imagine the gov't would just leave us hanging like that. (I think that some European countries are also doing the AZ/mRNA mix now)

I think that there are going to have to be international agreements worked out for what is acceptable, and if your country provides you with documentation stating we are fully vaccinated I think (hope?) most countries would accept that.

Like I posted before the 2nd vaccine receipt states on the bottom "you have received 2 valid doses" so I don't know that they would even check to see what kind you got for your first dose.