July 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 That hiking trip sounds great! I love the idea of a mountain-top lodge night to break up a long hike. Sounds like you had a good group to go with.

@WhatMeRunning I'm going to have to try fartleks. I am usually a strict plan follower and just haven't had them included in the training plans I have used. But right now, I am really pretty freeform so I should try them out. Maybe a few during my most sloggy runs would make the time pass more quickly.

@skippygirlsmom Wine and Dine is one of the runDisney races, which are officially back this fall!

I agree @Zoomie402 , disney races are a ton of fun! This will be my third. One of the nicest things about these races is that I feel zero time pressure. With the crowd size, you just kind of have to go with the flow for a fair bit, especially at the beginning. I'm usually fast enough to be in corral C where there aren't too many run-walkers but not fast enough to be up front with the serious racers. And I love all the entertainment and the fun costumes people come up with. And this race has an after-party at Epcot so you can enjoy the food & wine festival, which I love. Can you tell I'm excited?
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    @martaindale yes, I can feel that excitment and I love it! I'm with you on the not having any pressure. My first one, Goofy, I was in O becuase I didn't have another race to submit before that. Even being in the back was great. Which other ones have you done so far?
  • martaindale
    Options
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    @martaindale yes, I can feel that excitment and I love it! I'm with you on the not having any pressure. My first one, Goofy, I was in O becuase I didn't have another race to submit before that. Even being in the back was great. Which other ones have you done so far?

Star wars 5k (2018 I think) w/ my daughter and W&D HM 2019 w/ my husband. I'm also shooting for the princess HM in February.
    I have 1 "real" HM in January where I will actually race, but doing some fun races in person is exactly what I want to do right now. I usually sign up for several races of different lengths a year, but I am not doing many this year because our weekends will be more occupied by the vacation house. But, I just can't get myself to train up the a HM without a race deadline and I really want to make sure I don't settle into a short distance rut where I don't challenge myself.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @martaindale Glad you had such nice weather for your run today! :wink: Good that you are getting used to it and had a nice run.

hahaha @skippygirlsmom ! I'm sure the state is glad to accept your apology.

@Zoomie402 Hang in there for your double shift and then enjoy your time off!

@Teresa502 Love your hiking report! Looks and sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad it was cloudy. You have such great adventures. I want to be you when I grow up. LOL

All the talk about the Disney races sounds like fun. I may have to look them up, since all of my step-family is in Florida.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    @martaindale yay for the nice July weather. The cooler mornings always seem to fall on my off day, but glad you were able to take advantage of it.

Thanks @skippygirlsmom for the @MobyCarp memory. It's unreal that it has been 2 years. He always had great advice and was my inspiration for running well as I approach the old man club years.

@Teresa502 sound like a great hike!
  • martaindale
    Options
    All the talk about the Disney races sounds like fun. I may have to look them up, since all of my step-family is in Florida.

Yes, do it! You even have a good excuse to roll in a family visit. Who knows, maybe one of them will want to run with you?
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo they are super addicting! I was spoiled with my first big run being at Disney. I ran the Chicago HM after that and was seriously underwhelmed haha! My favorite part of a Disney run is ending in Epcot. I stop at the margarita stand in Mexico and grab a drink to sip on crossing the finish line. That is a popular spot for runners it seems.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 love the hike.
    @martaindale I thought about that later, enjoy!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Sorry you're feeling blah about training/racing right now. I think everyone goes through that at some point and it's probably healthy to realize you have the option of just running for the sake of running and not to train for a race. None of us are professional athletes who MUST work out every day and prove our worth as athletes to get paid. We have jobs and other responsibilities and running should be enjoyable. If it isn't, it may be time to reassess. The fact that you still want to run but not train is important. You aren't giving up on anything or letting good habits slide, you are taking into account what you personally need from your sport right now. Who knows, maybe your mojo will return after a few weeks of breaking from a training plan. Since the race isn't until the end of the year, you still have some time to let things sort themselves out.

What she said.

You’ve got a lot on right now, and you’re unwell. Don’t think about the race right now. Focus on you and getting better. Just enjoy running for running’s sake for the next four weeks, then reevaluate.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @martaindale, here’s my current fartlek workout for you (and anyone else who’s curious) to try - you’re right, it’s a nice way to break up a longer run.

1. Warm up, 20 mins, Easy
    2. Repeat 2 times
    Hard 3 min
    Easy 
3 min
    3. Repeat 2 times
    Hard
 2 min
    Easy
 2 min
    4. Repeat 2 times
    Hard
 1 min
    Easy
 1 min
    5. Cool down, 20 mins, easy

Another option is the Moneghetti fartlek, which I think I prefer as they’re shorter intervals:

Warm up, 20 mins
    2 x 90 seconds effort / 90 seconds recovery between each interval
    4 x 60 seconds effort / 60 seconds recovery between each interval
    4 x 30 seconds effort / 30 seconds recovery between each interval
    4 x 15 seconds effort / 15 seconds recovery between each interval
    Cool down, 20 mins

Let me know how you enjoy them.

I'm really good at the warm ups/cool downs; it's those things in the middle that are difficult for me.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @Zoomie402 and @martaindale Margaritas are my favorite. Not sure I could drink one while running though. Sounds like so much fun. I'll but that on my bucket list. Doubt that any of the family would run it, as none of them run.

@Avidkeo I agree with @martaindale and @ContraryMaryMary . Give training a break and reassess as the race gets closer.

Nice fartlek workouts @ContraryMaryMary . They do sound hard. To me, when I think fartlek, I think speeding up to the 3rd light pole or something more informal, just to break up a monotonous run.