WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Cheri – I figured that’s how you changed colors. I was just trying to see if there was a way to avoid the ends having to be woven in.

Sue WA – what I do is freeze the fruit that I use in yogurt. Then, when it defrosts, it makes a sort-of “juice”.

Does anyone on here have the air fryer lid for their IP? I really wanted one when I found out you can dehydrate fruits/veges/etc in it. Well, I dehydrated a peach today, just to try it out. Actually, it came out quite good. The positive is that you can buy fruits when they are on sale, dehydrate them, and then store them for something like 5 months.

For anyone who has a lid: How do you keep the veges/fruit/etc. From sticking to the grate that you put in the basket?

Michele NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Cheri,

Beautifully done. I love that pattern - it's so pleasing and appealing.

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    Pppp
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kymarai wrote: »
    My husband wrecked my truck this morning! He backed into a pole. Yes, he was in our driveway. Pole okay. Husband okay. Truck not so much. Damage to backup sensors, bumper, and tailgate. 😭

Doesn't he have vision issues that prevent him from driving?

Yes! He was trying to flatten out gravel in our driveway. No road driving!
  • kymarai
    My husband wrecked my truck this morning! He backed into a pole. Yes, he was in our driveway. Pole okay. Husband okay. Truck not so much. Damage to backup sensors, bumper, and tailgate. 😭

yikes! does your insurance cover that?

Nope, we get to pay this one.
  • kymarai
    pdd1216 wrote: »

Yikes sorry to hear that....were the back up sensors damaged prior to the accident?

Nope, they worked, he just didnt realize he was so close(no depth perception). I can laugh about it now. We will take to body shop on Wednesday.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    edited August 2021
    B)

Allie - glad you hung up on brother.... he's nuts! Don't let his crazy-ies keep you from sleeping and doing what you need to do for you!

:) Kim
  • kymarai
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Had Zumba tonight. Nice to have our regular instructor back(not a fan of her sub we had last week- too advanced for me) BUT found out when we got there that we had to wear our mask the whole class. I have no trouble wearing it into and out of the building but I made sure I was at least 15 feet away the closest person. Our county is one of just two that are not mandatory inside so I was surprised to find the note on the door.
    The building has no A/C, just open windows at the top(it is like a school gym/basketball court) and four medium size fans in the corners.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Had Zumba tonight. Nice to have our regular instructor back(not a fan of her sub we had last week- too advanced for me) BUT found out when we got there that we had to wear our mask the whole class. I have no trouble wearing it into and out of the building but I made sure I was at least 15 feet away the closest person. Our county is one of just two that are not mandatory inside so I was surprised to find the note on the door.
    The building has no A/C, just open windows at the top(it is like a school gym/basketball court) and four medium size fans in the corners.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

here sports has been one of the rare indoor where people don't have to wear masks.
    I imagine partly because it's not so easy to do sports with masks on (with heavy breathing).

In gyms you have to wear masks to move around but not while on machines and so on.

Now everyone has to have a "health pass" to go to gyms, and many other indoor shared spaces (museums, movies...): either proof of vaccination, or proof of negative test within past 3 days or proof of having had COVID within the past 6 months.

• bananasandoranges
    Ugh got into it with my brother
    Had fallen asleep and he called and he started swearing at me about not contacting him on social media which i didnt,he started ranting and raving like a lunatic,so i hung up on him ,he has been up at the cottage for more than a month working on it ,like i said the place is big and i dont like being there alone,but with Tal there I shoulf be fine and I think Betty and Dave with there camper should still be there. But he just goes off the wall saying everybody wants to come up but doesnt want to help.he knows i will help and he has had help all along,and he wants it all nice for when i get there,that doesnt matter ,i just want to spend time with him,i havent seen him all summer.. but Lord I honestly dont need the stress of all this and told him we dont need to come up.. and he can do what he wants with the place.. sign it over to his son,burn it down i dont care.. its been in our family over a hundred years but my brother needs to get back down to his dr and get back on his anxiety meds OY.. ,now to see if I can sleep..had to take tylenol

That sounds upsetting. It sounded like you were looking forward to going there.

• bananasandoranges

yikes! does your insurance cover that?

Nope, we get to pay this one.

aw, dang! that's too bad. you seem to be taking it in stride, which is good!
  • bananasandoranges
    csofled wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    My latest creation!
    Crocheting is such a stress reliever for me. I learned in high school and never stopped! This one and several others will go to Project Linus.

2z2jugncbq3x.jpg

Cheri
    College Station TX

that is AMAZING!!!
    I have tried to crochet a few times. last project was a baby blanket. Got most of it done but when it came to doing the border, I got frustrated and put it away. The baby that it was for is now 38yrs old!! Maybe one day I will try and crochet again
    I learned to sew if 4th grade and that is something I still love to do. If I can loose these last 18 lbs, I will start sewing for myself a lot more. I did make my skirt for dad's service but shocked at the size pattern I had to use.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Thanks Debbie! I learned to sew in 5th grade during Girl Scouts. I made my clothes all thru high school and college and then made for my kids when they were little. Oh my gosh I cannot even imagine what size pattern I'd need now! And the cost of patterns these days!!! Started quilting in the late 80s. So many quilts and crocheted afghans thru the years!!

Cheri

I was totally shocked when I looked at patterns a few months ago(first time in over 20yrs or so). I used to pay about $2 for them and now they are $20 or more.
    I did find that Hobby Lobby puts the patterns on sale every few months- really cheap prices so I go through the book to see if there are any I really like. There is one design I am looking for but not in the book.
    One trick I did learn/figure out this past year while sewing a LOT of masks(lost count over 250) is to go to the thrift store and buy sheets for fabric- I only get the super soft fabric as that is the most important thing for me. The fabric is also wider which is a bonus on some projects and the cost at this thrift store is really good- $3 for king size sets,less for smaller size sets or individual plus some on discount on top of that
    . I started looking at sheets because of the designs I was hoping to find(super heros and princessses for kids masks).
    The skirt I made for dad's service cost me less than $5 including the cost of the pattern- $2 for that plus less than $3 for the two sheet sets I bought.
    I think I will be doing some sewing projects for Christmas gifts this year.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca

I was dabbling in sewing a few years ago with the help of a friend who's an excellent sewer. but it became clear that sewing was more expensive than buying clothes. the pattern has a cost (of course you can reuse it, or make your own with newspaper, from online info), and also you need to buy decent quality cloth. She makes a lot of her own clothes, even coat with lining and fancy things, but it's a real passion for her. She converted a room to a sewing room when more bedrooms became available.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    When I was young I made all my own clothes, including lined outdoor coats, skirt suits etc. I made a very complicated Mary Quant shirtwaister and my own wedding dress from a Nina Ricci pattern and real crêpe de chine. I also knitted my own and my boyfriend's sweaters and cardigans.
    Now I make nothing. :p

Got to check out the finer details of our babysitting on Thursday and Friday. The kids are going to a local day 'summer camp' for the week and we are scheduled to pick them up on Thursday, sleep at their place, and take them back there on Friday morning. We have got to get keys and find out pick up point etc. The parents are going to have a date night somewhere nice. :D<3:D

We have all pencilled in a date in early September for my elder son to visit. Hope it comes off! :o

Allie - I would be making my own arrangements to go somewhere lovely. This happens every time. Why would you expect anything different? You can find peace and beauty somewhere else. Nature's serenity is everywhere. <3
    Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx