Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    DM not necessarily the best news source, but always early to post a given story. Will this story get verified through other sources? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9884193/CDC-adjusts-Floridas-weekend-Covid-numbers-state-accused-agency-overcounting-cases.html
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    They also discussed this report on the Barnstable outbreak:

www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7031e2.htm

They said there is a lot of info that simply wasn't collected that limits the conclusions you can draw. But what jumped out to them was that only 1% of known vaxxed attendees required hospitalization with 0 deaths. Also that the attendees interviewed described attending densely packed indoor/outdoor events including bars and house parties with minimal if any mitigations. Basically a recipe for breakthroughs.

There was no clinical tracing done to try to determine who got who sick, so it doesn't really add to the conversation about how much vaxxed people are transmitting.

This part goes over my head, but maybe it will mean something to someone. The paper notes that the CT values detected by the covid tests were similar between vaxxed and unvaxxed attendees who tested positive. Dr Griffin noted that the CT value is detecting the amount of COVID-19 Rna in the nose, not "necessarily" viral particles. He said public health officials seem to be assuming that similar amounts of RNA mean similar amounts of virus, but it is entirely possible that vaccine-induced antibodies have neutralized many of the viral particles, so the RNA being picked up by the test is in neutralized virus that isn't transmissible. My layman's understanding is he's questioning the assertion that vaxxed folks are "just as contagious" as unvaxxed.

Interesting. Some may recall that I had pointed out that the area has a 69% vaccinated adult population and that 74% of the people who were infected had been vaccinated. Statistically, that means a vaccine increases your risk of infection. I questioned the data, but acknowledged it could be a statistical outlier. Many Disagreed with my comments on that, but now a specific concern with data collection has been identified.

As to the gatherings in bars and homes: I'm not sure what everyone expects to happen during bear week; I am not surprised.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    They also discussed this report on the Barnstable outbreak:

www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7031e2.htm

They said there is a lot of info that simply wasn't collected that limits the conclusions you can draw. But what jumped out to them was that only 1% of known vaxxed attendees required hospitalization with 0 deaths. Also that the attendees interviewed described attending densely packed indoor/outdoor events including bars and house parties with minimal if any mitigations. Basically a recipe for breakthroughs.

There was no clinical tracing done to try to determine who got who sick, so it doesn't really add to the conversation about how much vaxxed people are transmitting.

This part goes over my head, but maybe it will mean something to someone. The paper notes that the CT values detected by the covid tests were similar between vaxxed and unvaxxed attendees who tested positive. Dr Griffin noted that the CT value is detecting the amount of COVID-19 Rna in the nose, not "necessarily" viral particles. He said public health officials seem to be assuming that similar amounts of RNA mean similar amounts of virus, but it is entirely possible that vaccine-induced antibodies have neutralized many of the viral particles, so the RNA being picked up by the test is in neutralized virus that isn't transmissible. My layman's understanding is he's questioning the assertion that vaxxed folks are "just as contagious" as unvaxxed.

Interesting. Some may recall that I had pointed out that the area has a 69% vaccinated adult population and that 74% of the people who were infected had been vaccinated. Statistically, that means a vaccine increases your risk of infection. I questioned the data, but acknowledged it could be a statistical outlier. Many Disagreed with my comments on that, but now a specific concern with data collection has been identified.

As to the gatherings in bars and homes: I'm not sure what everyone expects to happen during bear week; I am not surprised.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-moderna-delta-biden-e9be4bb0-3d10-4f56-8054-5410be357070.html

If Pfizer protection is down to 42% that could support the numbers you posted. One study showed Pfizer protection declining after 6 months.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Seems like the tut tutting is in full force, so you are not right about that.

Personally, I'm okay with anyone having outdoor events with (I would hope) vaxxed people, but it seems like there is going to be (unhelpful) tut tutting of anyone one disapproves of politically no matter what the event.

My neighborhood is planning a block party, so come tut tut us.

It's possible to approve of someone politically and disapprove of their holding a party with hundreds of people during a pandemic, even if it's outside, even if in theory they're all supposed to be vaccinated (IMO, if you get together a group that large, you're going to have at least a couple of dozen who are lying about being vaccinated).

While his estate may be big enough that hundreds of people could theoretically wander the grounds at a safe distance from each other, I doubt that was the prevailing behavior at an occasion with music, dancing, food, drink, and the opportunity to get within elbow-rubbing distance of Beyonce.

Given the evidence that vaccinated people can still transmit it, odds are a large number of people are going to go back to their lives (a few may even fly commercial -- gasp!! -- back to their lives) and create new transmissions chains that will end up reaching folks who are unvaccinated because they can't get vaccinated. I just think throwing an extravagant birthday party under pandemic conditions is a really bad look. If somebody wants to act like a narcissist, they shouldn't be surprised when other people call them on it.

I think the only people who can claim consistency on this one is (1) habitual opponents of mask-wearing and other pandemic-control measures who shrug their shoulders at Obama's party and (2) habitual supporters of mask-wearing and other pandemic-control measures who tut-tut over Obama's party.

I think that the people who can claim consistency on this are those that consistently adhere to whatever the current public health guidelines are in effect in their area at a given time.

My family are holding two gatherings (weddings) over the next several weeks - both of which will follow or exceed the guidelines that our public health department has set out. I wouldn't say we are narcissists.

Unfortunately, public health guidelines have tended to be extremely reactive and based on trailing indicators. After cases and hospitalizations spiked in 2020 after Easter, and after Memorial Day cookouts, and after July 4 cookouts, I didn't need to wait until late September for local public health guidance to be tweaked to know that anybody I encountered a few days after Labor Day was statistically more likely to be infected than they were a few days before. We haven't got this under control and public health guidelines that repeatedly have encouraged loosening up as though we have it under control only to be followed by new surges haven't really helped matters.

And the remark about acting like a narcissist was aimed at extremely wealthy and famous people who largely have far more ability than the rest of us to control their risk from things like shopping or public transit and nevertheless choose to create a publicized spectacle of hundreds of people in close quarters, outside or not.

I've been feeling guilty that I attended a couple of funerals during the recent brief period of very low transmission/incidence rates locally, even though I was vaccinated and everyone I knew who was going was vaccinated and I and most other people wore masks for the indoor portion in spaces that were definitely well below 50% capacity. And now things are spiking again.

So I just don't have any patience left for people who apparently think that after 600,000+ deaths in this country alone, you can't be happy with a nice meal or cookout and cake and ice cream with immediate family and maybe a few close friends who don't have to jet across the country to get there -- speaking of which, I could go live in a cave for the rest of my life eating only what I could forage and go naked when my current clothing wears out and the reduction in my carbon footprint might make up half of the carbon emissions generated by people just flying to this party, if I lived to 110!

Not sure where you are in the US - I looked at a few of the stats for states down there and given the abysmal vaccination rates you seem to be in a much different situation than we are up here. Also I believe from everything I have heard that our public health measures have been much more restrictive than yours, we have never come out of indoor masking and capacity limits for events.

Tbh I have paid only peripheral attention to what is going on in the US, but a lot of it seems pretty negative.

I expect our divergent opinions are influenced by the different ways we have experienced the pandemic based on our location, and given what I have heard about the US situation I understand your frustration.

The percentage I see quoted for my state is just under 60%, and that's of total population, which I think is pretty good since nobody under 12 can get vaccinated. But we're still surging on transmissions and infections. Not so much on hospitalizations and deaths -- yet, at least.