At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    He doesn’t read the boards. That’s the one thing he balks at.

for now.... lol

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by risotto, the portion I can eat for 600-700 calories is huge and very filling. Beetroot risotto with fresh goats cheese, mushroom risotto and risotto with prawns and fennel are my favorites.
    PS: Obviously, don't smother the risotto in Parmesan or butter 😉
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I think….and I have to give this more time to confirm…..I’m falling into a habit of eating less around him so I don’t tempt him (I get hundreds of more calories than he does because I’m always in motion, while he’s pretty sedentary.)

This definitely happened for me during the SO's first attempt at weight loss as well as this low-carb thing. One, his snacking was out-of-control excessive (he would polish off the largest size of M&Ms in half an hour) so I was trying to model more reasonable behaviour. Plus I felt bad that he had to reduce or eliminate so many foods that he loved and didn't want to rub it in his face. Of course, since he's away at work half the time, I can do whatever I please when he's not around but I did switch my snacking to my work hours where it wasn't visible to him and hid the treats at home where they wouldn't tempt him. I sure don't need any reduction in calories so I have to make sure I maintain a steady supply at my desk.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

what is not as high in calories as i expected? ....

For me it was donuts, as compared to other pastry case items like muffins or biscuits. The commercially made ones are much higher in calories yet people generally see muffins as a "healthier" choice, or a cheese biscuit as a nice accompaniment for a bowl of soup. One grocery store produces jumbo muffins that run 500 - 600 calories apiece.
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @ythannah a tiny secret about those grocery store muffins . . . they start out as white or yellow cake mix!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes are party muffins!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    A heavy milk drinker, BL’s begun weighing milk as well. (Yes, I know you can’t “weigh” a liquid, but imho in small quantities like a cup or two, there’s so little difference that it’s reasonably accurate anyway, especially compared to topping off a tall glass once or twice during breakfast.)

Realizing how much of his calorie budget he’s using for milk, he’s now cutting back, preferring to spend those calories elsewhere.

I’ve been using Silk plain cashew milk (25gr/cup) as a milk substitute whenever possible. It’s great in coffee and chai, very good in iced coffee, works fine in pancakes, biscuits.

I had some friends over last night. They saw all the cartons in the fridge and asked for a taste test. They were really surprised. Most liked it better than almond milk and “mini moos “ (whatever those are).

BL is not prepared to drink straight cashew milk yet, though.

I weigh milk. There are weight entries in the USDA database. I use "Milk, fluid, 1% fat, without added vitamin A and vitamin D."
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,445 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    A heavy milk drinker, BL’s begun weighing milk as well. (Yes, I know you can’t “weigh” a liquid, but imho in small quantities like a cup or two, there’s so little difference that it’s reasonably accurate anyway, especially compared to topping off a tall glass once or twice during breakfast.)

Realizing how much of his calorie budget he’s using for milk, he’s now cutting back, preferring to spend those calories elsewhere.

I’ve been using Silk plain cashew milk (25gr/cup) as a milk substitute whenever possible. It’s great in coffee and chai, very good in iced coffee, works fine in pancakes, biscuits.

I had some friends over last night. They saw all the cartons in the fridge and asked for a taste test. They were really surprised. Most liked it better than almond milk and “mini moos “ (whatever those are).

BL is not prepared to drink straight cashew milk yet, though.

I weigh milk. There are weight entries in the USDA database. I use "Milk, fluid, 1% fat, without added vitamin A and vitamin D."
    Been taken to task here before for mentioning weighing liquids. MFP users are nothing, if not thorough, lol.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,445 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Oh, gotcha! Do you have a standard recipe thats “close enough” in ratios, that you know makes a “1.0” to go off of? Like, you could make it for 100gm servings, and the meal “serving” equates to that 100gm?

Pancakes are hard though, you have to tweak the batter just so.

That’s where the meal function lacks compared to the recipe function, and it would be so nice to just be able to share the recipe.

I guess you could log one full serving of a recipe on your account and have him capture that, and then adjust? How does that work? The “slaw” entry yesterday on mine is a recipe if you want to play around with that and see what happens

Maybe I’m confusing you. Logging it is fine. We just change the quantity of complete meal (shown as 1 serving) to .26 servings for him, .33 for me.

What’s muddling my head is since in the course of 2 days, I'd prefer to eat .33 + .33 and he eats .25 and .25, it’s a PITA to convert the recipe ingredients to 1.16. It was so beautifully easy to make using exactly 1/3 a box of cake mix. At least the egg I can supplement with liquid egg white, lol. Greatest invention since sliced bread, btw.

I'm enjoying your discussion. Thanks so much.
    As a math geek, I can't resist contributing a totally impractical solution, as well as a doable, if awkward one. 😄

You eat 1/3 and your BL eats 1/4. The solution is really quite simple, isn't it?
    One day's requirement: 1/3 + 1/4 = 4/12 + 3/12 = 7/12ths of a batch.
    Simply make enough batches that divide evenly by 7/12ths.
    That would be 12 meals, or 7 batches: 7 batches contains 84/12ths which would provide for 12 meals, each consuming 7/12ths of a batch. Of course, by that 12th meal, the batter might be looking a bit disgusting. 🤢

That's rather impractical. However, you could do the following, assuming that:
    1. A batch of batter is good for at least 48 hours.
    2. You measure your servings independently of the remaining amount of batter.
    3. Doing the following is easier than trying to modify the ingredients, given certain fixed amounts.

Here you go, day by day:
    1. make batch 1; you consume 7/12ths of batch, leaving 5/12ths for next day.
    2. make batch 2; you consume remaining 5/12ths of batch 1 plus 1/6th of batch 2, leaving 5/6ths of batch 2.
    3. you consume 7/12ths of batch 2, leaving 1/4th for next day.
    4. make batch 3; you consume remaining 1/4ths of batch 2 plus 1/3rd of batch 3, leaving 2/3rds of batch 3.
    5. you consume 7/12ths of batch 3, leaving only 1/12th for next day.
    6. make batch 4; you consume remaining 1/12ths of batch 3 plus 1/2 of batch 4, leaving 1/2 of batch 4.
    7. make batch 5; you consume remaining 1/2 of batch 4 plus 1/12th of batch 5, leaving 11/12ths of batch 5.
    8. you consume 7/12ths of batch 5, leaving 1/3rd for next day.
    9. make batch 6; you consume remaining 1/3rd of batch 5 plus 1/4 of batch 6, leaving 3/4 of batch 6.
    10. you consume 7/12ths of batch 6, leaving 1/6th for next day.
    11. make batch 7; you consume remaining 1/6th of batch 6 plus 5/12ths of batch 7, leaving 7/12ths of batch 7.
    12. you consume the remaining 7/12ths of batch 7, and start over next day.

It's enough to make one's head swim, but it works! 😂
    In any case, I'm intrigued and plan on trying your recipe for myself.

Al? Are you trolling me?

Just kidding. Al is my prankster relative with a doctorate in random number maths. This is just the kind of advice he’d give.

I’d like to get both of you on a junket to Las Vegas, btw. Ka-Ching!!!!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Sadly, knowing math and beating the odds (i.e. the house) are two different things. :(
    Otherwise, I'd be buying drinks protein shakes or smoothies for everybody! 😂