WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    Yogi is OUT!,,,,,
    sd62n6aza7it.jpeg

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    Pip- you and Kirby and Yogi look like your having an awesome time im so glad....
    Tal being lazy and asked grandma to come pick her up again today,told her I cant do it every day... ,told her she is more than welcome to come to my place that was met with a resounding No...lol
    Well they did a fabulous job on my patio with the dump fee and all it was 200.00 and well.worth it because there was no way i would ever be able to get all that done..
    Getting up early to take Dan to work tomorrow..and pick him up. And hunt down my hard sided suitcase in my storage ..i swear i have one ,thats another thing i have to do is hoe that out...
    Just finished watching Jeopardy ,the reigning champion is.from New Haven ,Ct and has won over 900,000 dollars. He is a real smartie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :)Allie, I watch Jeopardy every day. I love the current champion. He is cute and very smart.

<3Michele, I feel for you and your need to be inactive for awhile. I had spine surgery in 2016 and after surgery returned to walking very gradually over about four weeks. In 2017 I had a spinal compression fracture and had to lie down nearly all day every day for a month with only a small amount of walking allowed--just enough to keep my muscles from atrophy.

<3Machka, I have lived in earthquake country and remember it being very troubling even though we suffered only minor damage on one occasion.

:) Jake was a really good sport today and watched Fantasy Island and part of a Hallmark movie with me.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Kiz, my eating plan is kind of low carb. We are allowed lots of fruits and veggies and one 1/2 cup serving of a starchy side with dinner. It can be a white potato, sweet potato, winter squash, pasta, rice, quinoa, Ezekiel bread, etc. My carb last night and tonight was thin pizza crust. It isn’t Keto because we don’t eat cheese. The only dairy we can have is Greek yogurt. My pizza had a little mozzarella, which was technically off plan, but Dave wanted it for dinner last night. We had two pieces left over, so I had them tonight while he had a fried chicken plate from the deli. It isn’t super low carb because I’m still averaging 30 to 40% carbs on my pie chart.

Bananas, the naked smoothie is pretty tasty if you use almond milk with lots of ice and use a blender. You can get it almost to the consistency of a Wendy’s frosty. I do use a whey protein powder called Truefit for the naked smoothie. I use plant based Truvani for the meal replacement smoothie, along with fruit, spinach, and chia seeds. Tonight I’m drinking hot chocolate made with hot almond milk and Ancient Nutrition superfood cocoa powder. I tried it with plain water and was not a fan. It is much yummier with the almond milk.

We are only supposed to follow this really strict way of eating for a week. We monitor our hunger, energy, sleep, cravings, pain, etc, then we will be told how to adjust the plan to minimize the hunger, pain, and cravings and increase our energy, and sleep.
    I’m hoping to be able to add back a carb with breakfast.

We were told not to worry about counting calories in the beginning. I have logged for so long that I am ignoring that mandate. Besides, I wanted to know if this was really a healthy way of eating or just a super low calorie diet in disguise. I was pleased to see that I’m averaging close to 1400 calories. MFP had me at 1500 and if I was honest, I was previously eating between 1800 and 2200. I’ve lost 4 lbs already, so it’s working for the moment, and I’m not hungry.

I’m not joining the make-uo, hair, clothes discussion. My friend Shirley calls me “prissy” and let’s just say she may be right. Lol.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Sometimes I will use mascara and lip gloss for a date, and maybe a brow pencil. But mostly it's just me. Foundation makes me break out. So not worth it. In high school I wouldn't leave the house without full war paint, but now even jewelry is only for special occasions.

Annie in Delaware, who is doing slightly better with calories.

JEWELERY
    oh, jewellery! I used to wear small earrings sometimes in pierced ears but it always bugged me felt irritated even if it was gold. I did find short dangly earrings with. thing I liked pretty (about 1 inch long not more), and a bit less, a bracelet or wring, look wise. I don't really like having things on neck fingers wrist. I occasionally had a few items I quite liked but I have almost always lost or sometimes broke them. (take off somewhere...) I'm quite manual so having something hands and fingers is not ideal. I think rings make my fingers look older. I never liked necklaces that much. they feels a bit collar-like, even if long. though I can quite like them on others!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Michele I'm soo sorry about your hip pain and the side effects.

Machka Im glad you are safe.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Been reading but not felt much like writing. August 12 I made an emergency trip to CA to pick up my mom and move her up here to WA. She was here for a week when we had to take her to ER. She was diagnosed with a perforated bowel. She decided against surgery so they admitted her to hospital on bowel rest and antibiotics. She was released a week later to hospice at my home. She died last week. She was 97 yo. Now dealing with all the aftermath of cremation, etc. Too many people were here, all gone home finally. Eating and exercise way off track.

Had cataract surgery Monday so no exercise except walking this week. Eating is somewhat better now that it is just DD and me. Will be glad when all is done.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

{{ Hug }}

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,286 Member
    Ah, Sue - I'm so sorry for your loss. :'(
  • grandmallie
    Sue- from Wa. Im so very sorry for your loss it is always hard no matter the age losing a parent..my deepest condolences..
    I was i think in a deep sleep and was wakened by the kid upatairs revving his diesel truck in the parking lot at 2:15 in the morning..
    I have complained to tbe board but it doesnt do much good. I have yo get up and dressed at 6:30 to get Dan to work.. and I have resorted back to taking naps and i dont like it
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    Fffffff
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, practiced Pure Movies/Wine, Beer, Whiskey (R diagonal step touch) and Dance Monkey (diagonal R shuffle), farmers’ market, dog group.
    Bonus: another load of laundry, packed another 2 boxes and delivered all six to the Humane Society Thrift Store.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call pc guy to schedule tuneup, learn GrandDaddy Long Legs, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: Silver Linings, Dance Monkey, All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat) One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke,,); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    September
    22: Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still. Maybe today in the hot tub ;)
    23: Let go of other people’s expectations of you. And your own, bk!.

Miraculously the 2+ travel pounds were gone this morning ;)

Was surprised to find sweet cherries at the farmers’ market this autumnal equinox. Couldn’t resist ;)

Sue ((hugs)). ((hugs)) held extra long.
    Carol my DH also buys 20# bags of pinto beans and rice. My rule is, you bought it, you cook it, you eat it! Though to be honest, beans and rice are inexpensive, wholesome survival food in case we get cut off by quake, fire or tsunami…
    Kim :love: what you said to Machka and Rori.
    Heather Beautiful pic! “… inside I am the same person.” Me too, that is the essential me has been the same since I saw my first dog (about age 2). Some of the non-essentials have changed, for the better. Nowhere near as nasty and demanding as I was, I hope!
    Michele, Vince is right, for you not to exercise your hip must be really really painful. So glad to hear you got through to the MD and have an rx and a plan. I really like these guys, maybe this will give you something to try while not exercising.
    Rebecca glad your vertigo is easing. Have you been to the Dr or PT?
    Pip :love: Yogi in his element, with Frisbee! And the after walk nap ;)
    Welcome back Betsy!
    Kay “prissy” :laugh: just don’t forget the “r” :smiley:

Time to set a bit with Joe, then snoooozzzzzzzze

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: leaner/stronger/kinder than August.
    daily: sit with Joe:23, weigh/wii: 21/0/0; steps>7222=8105 vits=20.5, log=22, CI<CO=20, CI<250<CO=13, Tumble=18, Shadow=20, mfp=12, outside=24, up hill=20, clean 10=13.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=1.5, Wed:TC=1, PW=2, Thurs: TC=5mins, Fri:TC=1.33, Sat:PW=2, rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/5:140.2 9/12:139.8 9/19:142.2 9/26: 9/30:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=12, play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Just found this old photo of myself when I was 16 or 17. Inside I am the same person. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

I think I've changed quite a bit between my two photos (me at 18 and me now). There's probably still a little bit of the 18-year old me in there somewhere, but not a lot.

And I've gone through quite a change just in the last 3.5 years. When my husband had his accident, I felt like I suddenly grew up ... became an adult. Quite different from how I felt at 18.

From my early 30s to my early 50s, I was "Peter Pan", which was another different me.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member

No formal exercise today, didn’t even go for my walk. Man, this really blows

Betsy – wb

barbie – I do feel that the prednisone is helping SOMEWHAT. Yesterday am I was in excruciating pain, and I do mean excruciating. I took the prednisone yesterday and now I’m in pain, just not excruciating. I’m thinking that today I might drive down to SC to get ceramic paint because the mermaid will take just so much for the skin that I don’t want to use up all of the ceramic place’s. I’m just so bored.

Drkatie – congrats on the loss

Sue WA - I’m so sorry about your mom. My deepest sympathies. Why did she decide against surgery? Did she just feel that it really wasn’t worth it, that she’d lived a good life? Pretty soon you’ll get back to exercise. Will you need surgery on the other eye? If so, when can you have it?

Barbra – thanks for that link. I was never told that I have a bulging disk, but I did find the sleeping position part interesting. I have always had something in my lower back when I drive or sit at my computer, but it was interesting how important posture was. I do know that at times I get lazy and slouch at the computer, even tho I have a pillow. I always keep one in Vince’s car.
    Lol about not forgetting the “r”

Michele NC
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    SEnding love to Rori- So happy to read of your adventures with old and new friends!
    Big hugs to Sue in WA- Sorry for the loss of your mom. (( <3 ))
    Heather and Machka- Love the photos of your teen selves! I still see you in those pics! You haven't changed that much!
    Barbara- When I pinched a nerve in my back last fall, one of my childcare parents who is a PT had me watch a couple of videos by these guys. Within hours of doing their exercises I felt relief. I was back to work the following day. They know their stuff!
    Lisa- Peek-a-boo! I see you! How are you doing?
    Cheri- I see you checking in as well! Thinking of you! SEnding hugs!

I still wear make up daily. If I don't I feel like I am sick. I don't wear as much as I did when I was a teen; but I do wear a light foundation, eyebrow pencil, and mascara. In the winter I will add a good moisturizer, some blush, and lip balm. I never wear lipstick. My lips are a pink/plum color naturally, and I have never liked lipstick on me.
    I wear athletic gear every day. I have a couple of skirts for dressier occasions.
    I love jewelry and used to wear a LOT of it. but once I started watching small children I wore less and less. Now I wear my wedding ring and that is it. Special occasion I might wear a necklace or extra ring. I really miss jewelry, though. A way to express myself. I love looking at what Iris Apfel wears. I had a lot of big clunky stuff.

Kids arriving. I better scoot! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Bob and Brad are the same guys who did the video on the Epley maneuver. Great! :D<3 Works like magic.

Busy morning. ;)
    We got up early for our food delivery. We ordered it for early because we thought we might be doing something for Edie's birthday today. Yes, we are! Cake in the park after school, then playground, then she plays football with her team. :D
    When we opened the door to our delivery guy, there was fox poo on the doormat. :# I cleared it off, washed the matting, and sprayed some WD40 around the area to deter them. It seems to be a favourite overnight spot.
    Exercise, editing, lunch, and now Singing Zoom before we dash off to the park.
    I've got some fish and big prawns out of the freezer to put in fish soup for supper. Quick meal for when we get back, with rouille, croutons and grated cheese.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited September 2021
    Oh, and we also did our very first WhatsApp voice message, at breakfast, singing rude words to Happy Birthday for Edie. It's a small thing, but new for us. :D

On Tuesday I sorted out some old jewellery to give to my friends for a Cancer Research fund raiser they are holding in November. A few pieces were rather good, so I was a bit worried she wouldn't ask a decent price for them. She then told me that they are having an earlier sale for 'posh' stuff in October, so they could go in that. Pleased. :D
    They are pieces I never wear, but too good for an ordinary charity shop. No point in hanging on to them.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,286 Member
    Heather, it's lovely to see you being a social butterfly once again.

Rori, you sound more like yourself than I've seen in a very long time. So pleased that you're emerging to be back with us here.

KJ, I'll do a separate update on my own issues below.

Beth, sounds like your knee is healing well, so glad!

Allie, didn't you say you were going to stop taking your son to work? And on another note, so glad to see you standing up for yourself medically

Michele, I'm sorry the pain has bumped you so far out of your routine--being still has been one of the hardest things for me for the past few years, but sometimes your body needs to heal. It's a good time to learn to meditate, because you have no choice but to be still, and meditation can help soothe your pain, over and above any medication you have to take.

More below,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    Ugh I am like a zombie today this kid upstairs has got to go. He was out there at 2 am revving his diesel engine and woke me up and haven't really slept since.. his bedroom is right over mine if I was mean i would blare some loud music or something, but thats not me,if the board does nothing than i will contact the management company..will go over there heads