Less Alcohol ~ OCTOBER 2021 ~ One Day At A Time 🍁

Options

Replies

• LisaStapleton83
    LisaStapleton83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    Has anyone done Annie Grace's 30 Day Alcohol Experiment? Or read This Naked Mind?

I've part of a similar thread in another forum for a few years, and that's the go to resource that everyone uses there. It's what I did when I was trying to cut back, and it was hugely helpful in helping me figure out what relationship I wanted with alcohol.

I'm a neuropsychologist with training in addiction, and even then, I learned A LOT about how alcohol affects the body and brain.

Some people did it and decided to quit, like me, and some people decided to moderate, like my DH who drank even more than I did, and is an extremely moderate drinker now.

I’ve heard about that book and have been meaning to read it. I’ve noticed my anxiety is through the roof since I stopped drinking so I’ve also had to cut out caffeine as that makes me even more edgy…. It’s like my brain is learning new coping mechanisms that it previously relied on alcohol for

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Unusual drinking glasses ...
    "The 'Greedy Cup' is typically made of clay or china, and does not reveal the siphon mechanism inside; however this example is made from glass, and shows how the internal siphon will completely empty the glass, if you fill it above a certain level."

https://youtube.com/watch?v=frL2DkMM09Y
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    Stopping at 2 glasses of wine this evening.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @LisaStapleton83 I agree with you, anxiety for me also goes thru the roof, but it lasts maybe a week. It's a transition time for the body and normal. I think I did a lot of herbal calming teas, melatonin gummies and that sort of thing to get me to bed early and keep me out of trouble. But after that hurdle, one actually gets their normal brain back in time. I felt so amazing and calm and happy with no alcohol.

And in reality, if anxiety persists, one can consult their doctor or NP, hit the daily exercise, etc. There really is a solution for this all.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    Has anyone done Annie Grace's 30 Day Alcohol Experiment? Or read This Naked Mind?

I've part of a similar thread in another forum for a few years, and that's the go to resource that everyone uses there. It's what I did when I was trying to cut back, and it was hugely helpful in helping me figure out what relationship I wanted with alcohol.

I'm a neuropsychologist with training in addiction, and even then, I learned A LOT about how alcohol affects the body and brain.

Some people did it and decided to quit, like me, and some people decided to moderate, like my DH who drank even more than I did, and is an extremely moderate drinker now.

I did the Annie Grace 30 day and it was really insightful. I learned a lot. It was never my goal to stop drinking entirely, but it did help me moderate significantly. I’m pretty sure I read the book too, but I read so many, I forgot! I’ve been known to buy a second copy of a book I’ve read years ago, and about a quarter of the way through, said “hey, I’ve read this before!”
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    Had a small glass of wine after work last night. Yummy but not worth the bad sleep. In the final stretch of the Sugar/alcohol detox. Weight is still coming down, despite the little bit of wine! Whew!
  • Lilylady3k
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    @Lilylady3k you pose two really interesting questions. Clearly you want to help and comfort your DH- could it be that you don’t want him to feel so alone in his misery that you “keep him company” while he drinks? Or is there some other power dynamic at work that makes you fearful of saying no? Or maybe he’s irresistible on many many levels 😘.

The other is it’s so hard to watch our spouses miserable in a job they absolutely hate. In absence of finding another job to ride out until he’s retired, you could probably help here by getting engaged in the community with him. For example, you sign yourselves up for a bowling league, Rotary, ballroom dancing, etc. Something enjoyable where he can be around other people in the community. It may not be your dram destination but at least it will make living there worthwhile.

@Womona - Thanks for the insights. Yes I've actually found a couple of clubs that I encouraged him to get involved in ... which he looks forward to. Trying to find other interests but his interests (history, economics) don't lean toward much interaction with groups of people (and hates crowds). Retirement ... he no longer needs to work but has a really good job that pays extremely well.
    The check marks for retirement:
    - Do you have enough? YES
    - Have you had enough? YES
    - Do you have something else that you want to do? NO So he is continuing to work for the medical insurance until we pull the trigger and make the decision of what is next.

My involvement with the drinking is that I'm a sucker for a really good bottle of wine. He does not buy crap and we can afford the nicer bottles. I like exploring new wines. When I go over 2 though it is usually because I'm out (like vacation and drinking throughout the day ... brewery at lunch and wine at dinner). I'm doing pretty good but just don't want to be a daily drinker. So right now at home I'm checking out the bottle, taking a sip of his before making my decision to drink or not. Avoiding the wine at book club because that is usually just the basics available at restaurants LOL

Last night I had 1 glass from each bottle of French Chablis (2 different vineyards).
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,583 Member
    Options
    @Womona

So what do you do with the sailboat in the winter?
    I know that you are on the East Coast somewhere. Do you drain it all out and take it to a boat storage place?