WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Julie,
    If someone thanks me I just accept it, I would never ask "is that an ironic thank you" - I personally think person A is over thinking and over reacting.... person B is being a bit over polite, but fine. Now if this is not just a thought problem, but you are person A or person B, I am sorry if I have offended you, just my point of view.

Kim in N. California
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,486 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Was able to take a walk today. Ceramics tonight.

Rebecca – those gnomes are so cute. Where do you use them?

Tracey – Vince and I weren’t supposed to make it. For one thing, he had long hair, he wasn’t Polish, and, sin of all sins, he wasn’t Catholic. Here we are, 43 years later……

Julie – before I started working and was exercising every day, it took a lot to get my heart rate up and it would come down real fast. Now that I’m not doing formal exercise every day, it doesn’t seem to take as much to get my heart rate up.

I could never work on the computer while working out, regardless of what I am doing

Barbara – feel better fast. Glad the soup helped. OH, you’ll get mermaid pics. But first I have to put the mother of pearl on it, it has to be refired, then Vince has to put the shells on (and he’s not real swift about getting things done until they have to be done)

katla – a couple of years ago we had wasps that built a nest behind one of our retaining walls. I went to Lowe’s Hardware and got this thing called a WHY (wasp hornet and yellowjacket) trap. From the reviews, people said not to use the attractant that comes with it and you need to buy refills. It’s expensive and doesn’t work all that well. It was suggested to use apple juice. Now I see maybe one or two wasps a year.

Beth – congratulations for your son

I have a hard time watching the baking shows because then I get cravings for baked goods

Lisa – (((BIG HUG)))) You poor dear

Went to ceramics and worked mainly on Pinocchio. Tomorrow Newcomer bowling.

Just finished taking the yogurt out of the IP and now have it draining. I totally forgot that the thing I have to drain it only holds one quart and I made a gallon. Oh well...I'll just have to put the rest in a colander to drain.

Michele NC

Just a knick knack on a table or windowsill.👍💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Whidislander
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, wetlands/beach walk with Joe and the dogs.
    Bonus: recycling, Post Office, Freddie’s
    Just one thing: picked and delivered chanterelles to B, Joe's rx info from Logan @ Dr. S.
    Get to do: take BP, T’ai Chi, dogs to powerline, make up 30 mins Tuesday linedancing (practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, GDLL, SWSY,) dog group, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, fire district: research district tax exemption for volunteer firefighters, AFG grant requirements including NIMS, call NFPA cancel inactive accounts, clarify benefits included in annual dues, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS, index mutual aid files and share with L; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    26: Find a new perspective on a problem you face: attitude of gratitude for the body as it is today.
    27: Be kind to yourself today. Remember, progress takes time: and celebrate different kinds of progress, stamina, ease in rising from chairs.

This morning as I fed the dogs, was musing on how effective morning routine/linked habits
    take ALA, feed dogs, make tea, weigh in, morning readings and meditation, blood pressure, exercise before solitaire
    have been, when…
    Joe invited me to go to the beach with him and the dogs. YES! An opportunity not to be missed. Misty walk through the wetlands and along an angry sea. Tide was out but not very far so we didn’t linger. Then scampered across border to the liquor store, stopped at farm supply store for special dog cookies, chatting all the way home. Great way to start the day.
    Went through the routine after breakfast.

Heather whatever is a “99”? That card game sounds awful.
    Rebecca the first marriage photo album story made me laugh out loud!
    Vicki ((hugs)) selling the motorcycles is a hard reminder of life changes.
    Gentle ((hugs)) softly held extra long to Lisa, Beth and Tracey.
    Michele “…I have a hard time watching the baking shows because then I get cravings for baked goods” amen, sister, AMEN!
    Machka thanks for the alternative arthritis remedies links.
    Katla I’m dreading the longer nights, shorter days and time change. Think I’ll splurge on some of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0819PCKSL/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Looks like we have some black trumpet chanterelles in the front yard. Will ask the folds at Black Trumpet Bistro if they'd be willing to barter...

Time to go back to sleep….

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:26, weigh/wii: 26/4/65; steps>7228=7393 vits=26, log=26, CI<CO=25, CI<250<CO=19, Tumble=25, Shadow=22, mfp=26, outside=28, up hill=24, clean 10=18.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=4, Mon:SWSY=4 , Tue:LD=3 , Wed:TC=2.87 , PW=2, Thurs: BB&B=3.2, Fri:TC=3.97, Sat:PW=3, rX x5=4.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10:141.8 10/17:141.8 10/24:143.5 :sick: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=2, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=15, play=46 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Lol, I remember instinctively thinking, "oh for the love of God", really"??? Then of course all the tellers on break had to have a look see, saying, "oooh ya look so similar"!! Then I was panicked thinking, " I'm the rebound girl"!!! But really my mother in law hated the first wife, and well she liked me, so I was one up in the daughter in law rating. I will find a picture of the witc.... I mean first wife.😁😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Routines have been very helpful to me, especially upon waking, I can almost just do my routine without too much thought process, which helps it happen more times than not…. Now when something means my morning routine must change, I have to post notes or set timers/reminders on my phone – or I just do my “normal” routine. For me it is the first 2 hours – up, dress, brush hair, Levi out to do his business and I go out with him and stretch a bit, then get jacket plus depending on weather, leash up Levi, hop in the car drive to a suitable location, walk for about 1 hour (2-3 miles), home, breakfast for Levi, breakfast for me, coffee made, brush teeth, check calendar to see what the day holds. After that my schedule is variable….

Someone asked what I did with a 4 hour power break, Actually a bit longer would have been ok. I straightened up my desk, then I did all the thread trimming of the items I had embroidered the day before, and then started raking the back yard.

Heart rate, I have no idea of my heart rate, and have never figured out how to take it – there is one spot I can feel it but if my finger slips even a very tiny bit I can no longer feel it and between that and counting and trying to watch the second hand on a clock, I am always missing something…. I often get to some where in the 20’s and then lose track of something – This is one of those multi task things I can not do! LOL

Smiles Kim N. California

I use a heart rate monitor. :)

M in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Rebecca- the very first time my mom met current mother in law, all she did was talk about her OTHER son, even pulled out a pay stub to show mom how much Albert was making. Mom was polite but so confused. I was dating Frank, NOT Albert.
    Albert was her favorite. She didn't like Frank and if she didn't have to totally depend on him now, don't think she would now either. She has no choice. He is all that is left. Her new meds are helping though

Wowsa, I bet that confused your own Mom! In laws can be tricky. When we moved from California to Oregon to get my husband on the liver transplant list, we had his nephew drive the Winnebago. It was all very stressful that week because I was checking husband out of hospital, packing up the apartment, organizing middle son to get a leave chit approved so he could drive the moving truck with furniture. So when we got to Oregon, we still had to pay 1st months rent plus deposit so nephew gave us $3K to do just that. He had told us this is a gift. So fast forward to a year after transplant, and nephew is chatting with his aunt ( my mother inlaw) and he mentions in jest that they can afford to pay me back. Well of course my mother in law calls me and says you need to pay back David. So I write up a promissory note, with a payment schedule and start paying him back. Every month a $100, some months $200. Not a thank you or nothing from the nephew. Financially it wasn't easy, and I thank God for the monthly food banks we needed. But in honesty, my mother in law kind of inserted herself into something that wasn't her concern. I'm just glad I paid him back, and kept in my mother in laws good graces.👍💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Lanette- So nice to see your post, I have missed you! So sorry to hear of your husbands ordeal during Labor day, but relieved to know his humor is back and he's improved a bit. Keeping active is sometimes the only thing that keeps you sane and moving forward. Sometimes humor is the only thing positive during a day. But humor is a powerful thing. Lee has a great sense of humor, probably the only thing (plus meds) keeping him going. I think his old salty dog humor will make him most likely to outlive us all.😂👍
    Hugs
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Machka9
    Options
    A. writes to lawyer about issue that A and B are looking at, puts B in copy
    B answers "Thanks"

This is how we communicate here ... at work, at uni, in my cycling club, etc.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 30min 43sec, 121elev, 88ahr, 110mhr, 8.05mi= 727c
    Strava app = 972c

No gym or spin
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Worked late today (11:30). Then went to the church to borrow the robe that an Altar Server wears for my Halloween costume (which reminds me that I should try it on – update, it fits) then to the soup kitchen to pick up some of those cups for individual servings. You know, the kind of cups you get in a restaurant when you ask for the salad dressing to be on the side. Also, got ice from there and gave them some of the bags that I had for the tortilla chips I bagged yesterday. I don’t like this type of bag but I know that they use them for giving out cookies, etc.

Beth - (((HUG)))

Tracey – (((HUG)))

Barbara – we need to research the medicare prescriptions, too.

Kylia – yes, exercise three days in a row IS exciting. I just may be able to go for a walk today. Newcomer bowling tonight

Lanette – in addition to Rori and M, we have another angel in our group

YEA! Got a walk in!

Julie – I’m like you, I don’t like to prelog everything. Now I do prelog my dinner (the meat) and breakfast. But sometimes I’m in the mood for one food and it’s not what I logged so I don’t log lunch or veges until I have them or after I have them.

Question: does anyone know how long salsa can stay out of refrigeration once you have opened the jar? I'm going to have salsa and chips for the party and I'd like to fill the containers with salsa. But I don't have room in the refrigerator to put them.

Michele NC

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding pre-logging ...

I do pre-log because I eat basically the same things most of the day:

Lunch: chicken, rice, mixed veg ... and one mixed veg is much the same calories as another.
    Dinner: mixed veg, and something which I can add later.
    Snacks: crackers, yogurt, fruit, chocolate, ice cream ... I can adjust the details later as needed.

Just because you pre-log doesn't mean you can't change things later. I find it quicker to enter the above stuff in, copy it to the days ahead, then go in on the day and chance the type of ice cream or something.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette - It is so good to see your post. I have missed you. 😍. Katla
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding pre-logging ...

I do pre-log because I eat basically the same things most of the day:

Lunch: chicken, rice, mixed veg ... and one mixed veg is much the same calories as another.
    Dinner: mixed veg, and something which I can add later.
    Snacks: crackers, yogurt, fruit, chocolate, ice cream ... I can adjust the details later as needed.

Just because you pre-log doesn't mean you can't change things later. I find it quicker to enter the above stuff in, copy it to the days ahead, then go in on the day and chance the type of ice cream or something.

M in Oz

Close the gaps to access the link:
    https://www.calories.info/ food/ vegetables

This indicates that, per 100 grams,

Cauliflower ............... 25 cal
    Pumpkin ................. 26 cal
    Broccoli ............... 34 cal
    Winter Squash ............... 34 cal
    Carrot ...................... 41 cal
    Beetroot .................... 43 cal
    Brussels Sprouts ............... 43 cal
    Squash ........................ 45 cal
    Potato ............................... 77 cal
    Peas ................................. 81 cal
    Sweet Potato ................ 86 cal

So if I'm eating cauliflower and brussel sprouts one day, and broccoli and carrots the next, the difference isn't much, so I just go with a mixed veggie entry.

My lunch servings are 75 grams and I assume about 200 grams (approx. 100 calories) for dinner.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes go into a separate category because we don't have them every meal and they are higher in calories.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, dogs to powerline, practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, GDLL, last half of dog group.
    Bonus: 27 mins grooming Tumble, stroll and chat with T and Shadow, Freddie’s.
    Just one thing: gritted my teeth, told my inner-child-of-depression-era-parents to pull up her big girl panties, and threw out food: rancid butter, sour grapes.
    Get to do: take BP, BB&B, dogs to powerline, make up T’ai Chi + 30 mins Tuesday linedancing (practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, GDLL,) process grapes, pick chanterelles for A, 2pm zoom with Reb, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, fire district: research district tax exemption for volunteer firefighters, AFG grant requirements including NIMS, call NFPA cancel inactive accounts, clarify benefits included in annual dues, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS, index mutual aid files and share with L; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m So Used to Being Broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan next spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    27: Be kind to yourself today. Remember, progress takes time: and celebrate different kinds of progress, improved stamina, ease in rising from chairs.
    28: Ask yourself “Will this still matter a year from now?”: good strategy for dampening over reaction.

Lovely stroll with T and Shadow at Harris Beach State Park campground. Alas, I’d overlooked the new time announcement in the dog group emails, so missed all but the last 20 minutes.

Kylia, Hooray for 3 days exercise in a row. I’d stick with that for at least a few weeks until it really becomes a habit you don’t have to think about, you just do. Then maybe add one more thing, like plan one healthy meal for the coming week.
    Heather thanks for the “99” visual. ;)
    Lanette welcome back, you’ve been much missed. Downloaded Plan A, lots to absorb but “sounds true.” So admire your positive spin on your new fire wood stacking and hauling workouts. ((hugs))
    Debbie, yes, chanterelles grow in our yard and along the drive. This year a bumper crop sprang up. Joe doesn’t like any mushrooms and I’m too chicken to eat wild ones, but have three acquaintances who are confident of their identification and happy to receive the bounty. Here’s the first batch. lmzkuetu3brf.jpeg Hope the people at Black Trumpet Bistro are interested in the black trumpet chanterelles. Want to swap some harvest for a meal, love their food and wine.
    Julie If I were B, I’d have answered A with “No, not ironic, sincere” and left it at that. Less fuel… ;} Some people seem to be determined to find provocation in everything. If calling A on it has not been successful in the past, then, less is better, imho.
    Sue in WA ((hugs))
    Beth the day after I got the booster, my toes and ankles swelled significantly. Freaked me out as it reminded me of when I had a DVT in 2017. Swelling went down some the next day and is now almost gone. Aspirin and compression socks helped. Aspirin also helped the mild headache that seems to recur every day. Have you registered with the CDC’s after vaccination symptom checker? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/vsafe.html works with your smartphone.
    Tracey I was thinking about an air-fryer, when I read that it’s essentially a countertop convection oven. My oven has a convection setting so I’m experimenting with that. Will be happy to save the $$ and storage space ;) Did the PT’s unlocking ease the pain at all? Seems like sometimes it has to hurt worse at first to get better… :cry:

Looking at the weather ahead, thinking Tuesday might be a good day for the first burn barrel extravaganza, if the forecast is calm…

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:27, weigh/wii: 27/4/65; steps>7228=9366 vits=27, log=27, CI<CO=26, CI<250<CO=20, Tumble=26, Shadow=24, mfp=27, outside=30, up hill=26, clean 10=18.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=4, Mon:SWSY=4 , Tue:LD=3 , Wed:TC=2.87 , PW=3, Thurs: BB&B=3.2, Fri:TC=3.97, Sat:PW=3, rX x5=4.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10:141.8 10/17:141.8 10/24:143.5 :sick: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=2, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=16, play=46 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks to those who weighed in on the A-B convo Kim, Machka, Barbara, Tracey.

that's clear!

not good eating, cleaning, writing days past 2 days at least. they seem to often go together!
    maybe somewhat linked to discussion about routine.

Writing
    not really true, for writing Tuesday and a good part of yesterday I spent on a boring but necessary letter and documents. but it feels like it set me back in other bigger writing projet: 1) it took time and energy, which are limited resources ! 2) it was pretty boring and got me out of my involvement in other bigger project which was going okay relatively speaking. I just have to sink my teeth back into it regardless.

Cleaning
    cleaning was bad - 2 or 3 days without any tidying. but the easiest and quickest to rectify!
    Eating
    yesterday I ate almost only a camembert and some crackers and bread and apples. not a massive CI, but not balanced. So much dairy is not ideal for me. cheese sort of varies. if I drink just a dollop of milk it's immediate achoo and sniffles. a little cheese is sometimes okay 250 g of soft cheese is not ideal!

2 or 3 days before I had a pint of halo ice cream and a pint of store bought fro-yo. again not massive CI, but not balanced (and also dairy for the fro-yo).

I have a headache today. could be related. feeling on the grouchy side.

On up side: went on stationary bike for 30 min this morning (watching a series: about 15 min slowish and 15 min faster - I try to go fast but I lose focus and go slower often enough). 1h cleaning and tidying also watching series - not ideal - but at least it's done;

I used to hate TV, (I don't have one and haven't since majority, but now streaming has largely replaced TV and then some). never watched any home videos till after 40 (when I got some bug and was homebound and not very mobile for few months and was bored, - I'd watch maybe 2 videos a week), now it's a major time-suck!

Went to my café for a green tea at the bar.

Remaining today:

15 min meditating
    writing
    see friend this evening for dinner I think