WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Yogi – happy Birthday and many many more. What flavor cake did he have?

We spent most of today putting Christmas decorations away in the one garage. Now my car and one of Vince’s can go in! Yea! I only had to scrape ice off the windshield once this year. The plan for tomorrow is to put away the decorations in the other garage. At least it’s supposed to be warmer. Then went to Kohl’s to send the popcorn maker back to Amazon and stopped at Hamrick’s to see if they had the bra I wanted. They only had it in different colors and I want white. Then went to Gabe’s and got a pocketbook since the one I had was starting to fall apart and this was at a price I was willing to pay. Something like $38 for one large pocketbook, a smaller one, and a wallet. I think right now I’m just going to use the smaller one and see how it goes. Maybe I’ll need the larger one.

Barbara – it WOULD be nice if Jessica were to go to one of the schools nearby. To be honest, I think her bf is hoping too. He feels (probably so) that there’s more of an opportunity for him to get a job in the research triangle area. I still wish he had more than a high school diploma. He’s smart, I don’t know why he doesn’t want to go on educationally. But I don't want to push her since I know that she'll try her best to be near us. I want her to make her own decision and not be influenced by us.

Kim – so glad you were able to get to the MD. What was the problem?

Cwb – what great paintings!

Got an email that our pastor was exposed to covid and may have it. I thought he already had it so doesn’t he have natural immunity. The email said that the Bishop couldn’t find a priest since so many were sick and our pastor couldn’t find a replacement. Then the email said that we should use our discretion whether we want to worship in Newton or somewhere else (there's only one Catholic church in Newton). Huh? If there’s no priest, how can we worship? So I didn’t go to church tonight, which was OK since I wasn’t scheduled to lector. Actually, I’m not scheduled until 2/5. Have a feeling that I might not go next week, either. I refuse to let this run my life, but at the same time I won’t be foolish, and going to church knowing that there’s a possibility and that I really don’t have to, to me, would be somewhat foolish

Off to take a shower.

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Well picked Carmine from the party and he had a nice time. Im taking him out for lunch or dinner tomorrow if the freezing rain that is coming doesnt mess things up..
    Carmine has given up with art no longer interested and the talent that they have.. ugh
    They will be going to a vocational technical school for high school next fall..
    If that is the plan getting into something like that can be much more lucrative than college.. whatever they want to do I will support.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

I really hope things start improving for your father! :heart:

I am surprised they're letting you stay that long. When my husband was in hospital, they had quite strict visiting hours, and that was pre-COVID.

They have a pretty strict visiting policy because of Covid. He is only allowed two visitors and they must be the same two visitors throughout his stay. So Mama and I are the designated visitors. That means my sister, who is here from New Orleans, can't even come up to visit. As for letting one of us stay 24/7, they like that, because there is someone in the room all the time to keep him from trying to get out of the bed and to call for help if he has a severe coughing episode that puts him in distress. One nurse told us that there was only supposed to be one of us in the room at a time, but she was not going to enforce it. none of the other nurses or doctors have mentioned such a thing and it is not posted that way. It is usually just one of us anyway, except for the major part of the day when we are expecting a doctor or social worker that requires decisions to be made. We aren't so much "visiting" him as we are "watching over him." He spends the majority of the time sleeping.

Doesn't the hospital have sitters?

As soon as my husband woke from his coma and started moving around, he was assigned a sitter (or to the sitter program - there were several sitters) because he kept trying to get out of bed and pull his trach etc. out.

When I came to visit, the sitter would go on a break for a little while. Or sometimes if "heavier" work needed to be done, like hitching him up in bed (he'd slide down and try to "escape" near the bottom of the bed), the two of us and the nurse on duty would do it together.

The sitters are usually partially trained in something medical (advanced first aid, just starting out in nursing, etc.)

It saves the family from having to be responsible ... and I couldn't have done a 24-hour watch.

Even for you, that's a 12-hour watch each. That's an incredibly long time! It doesn't seem healthy for the carers (you and your mom). (((Hugs to you two for doing that)))

M in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Went for my first 5k run for ages. It's either been too wet, too windy, or too icy.
    Today dawned dry, cold and the sun was coming out. No wind.
    First pic of a woman and two crows. :D
    w25wl0tmw6v9.jpg
    Second pic on the jog home. Blue skies. B)
    g3i9kw22z598.jpg

Dropped in at the deli for fresh veg and then did 25 mins rowing.
    Now enjoying coffee made by DH.

Well done Machka on the 10k. I have never run that distance. 8k is my furthest and not for a couple of years.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Accountability:

88ly6hprtmsf.jpeg
    tqs9y6jj5ypj.jpeg
    9ui323cde4vq.jpeg

Michele is there no provision in your church for remote viewing (Livestream, Facebook live or??) /worship? Even if you can’t take communion, you can hear the readings, listen to the sermon…?

Machka I’ve never heard of hospital “sitters” but think it’s a brilliant idea. Con VERY grats on the 10K!

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    uwzrcrrwanp1.gif

Great photos!!

Our churches have gone to livestream again.

I hadn't realised hospital sitters were a thing until my husband's hospital experience. Most were really good ... a few not so much. A few just wanted to sit on their phones or wanted to argue with me about what my husband could and couldn't do.

One insisted to me that she had to feed my husband. I told her he was perfectly capable of feeding himself. While she was busy explaining to me that according to something she had read or been told he must be fed, he picked up his spoon and started to eat. She turned and looked at him and said, "Oh ... he can eat by himself!" :lol:

But there were many others who were wonderful, especially when he was in the "pulling everything out" stage.

If you google it, there are heaps of jobs available for hospital or patient sitters.

And thanks! I wasn't sure how I was going to go with the 10K but decided I would walk if my back/shoulder was really bothering me. Fortunately it was OK and I jogged slowly most of the way. :)

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara, Thanks for the photos. How great to be that close to the ocean.

:)Allie, That's a great idea to ask Carmine to help you post a photo, but first take a picture of them and then have them help you. Teenagers are usually good at working with devices.

:)Heather, great beach photos.

:) Except for my years in college in Minnesota, I've lived near the coast all my life but never close enough to the ocean to walk there.

:) When Jake was in the hospital a few years ago they had a place in the room where I could sleep so I could be there if he needed anything. I thought it was great. He got help when he needed it and I had a place to sleep since the hospital was several hours away from our house.

:) Sunday is always a happy day because we pick up our groceries between 8 and 9.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Slept pretty well as you can on a couch,but had weird dreams though i cant remember them
    Im glad I canceled Carmines art subscription, im just heartbroken that they are not interested in art anymore.
    Wasting such talent I hope they go back to it someday.
    Im not going to bother Kyle or Tracy today if they want to contact me that is fine,they both need some rest and with the drs and nurses coming in and out they are not getting much..
    Poor Tracy is nursing and Miles isnt latching well so they want her to express and give her a break.. they hurt.. I remember that.. only saving grace there is that Kyle can feed him and she might be able to get a nap in.
    Tomorrow Carmine goes back to school so I have to get a snack and water in a bag for them and get him to school by 7:30 I think they will be coming home tomorrow I dont know when.but im guessing in the afternoon so I will pick Carmine up at school too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Barbara - you can see Calais from Dover on a fine day. There is a ferry from nearby Newhaven to Dieppe, but alas too far to see France.
    Lovely pics. :D

I have never heard of 'sitters'. Not sure if we have them. My DSIL had to employ a private sitter for her father who was going through terrible DTs. The hospital had basically abandoned him as a worthless piece of hopeless junk . She hired someone from an agency to watch him and then afterwards billed the hospital. He had recovered. I think she threatened to expose their negligence. She got the money back.

Done a bit of literary housekeeping this morning. Moving text from place to place and backing things up.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Morning, my dears,

Allie - so pleased all is going well, that Miles is safely here, and mom and dad are getting some time with him before the world intrudes.

Barbara AHMOD - Love the pics! I loved walking the beaches of Oregon during our three years there - picturesque isn't even close.

Kim - sounds like you found the right plan and the right doctor. So pleased you're getting what you need and feeling better.

If there is anything I've learned over the last couple of years, it's that we have to be our own advocates in any healthcare situation, as well as being advocates for those we love. It can be literally a life and death situation.

Got bread proofing in a warmed oven, laundry to move over to the dryer, and all the bread-making bowls, cups, implements, etc., in the dishwasher, and kitchen counters wiped down. I feel as if I'm participating in my own life again, after a long absence. I'm trying to take none of this for granted, which may have been the other lesson I was supposed to learn.

Maybe. I don't know anymore.

Hopes for a peaceful Sunday and a lovely week ahead for us all.

Love,
    Lisa in AR