• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Strolling today ... back/shoulder still sore.

1ijo4e355ehb.png

Regarding walking speed.

I have trouble walking slowly. :) Today's walk averaged 4.8 km/h which is a slowish walk for me. Normally, I'm at least 5 km/h and often up close to 6 km/h.

However, when I walk with my husband, I have to slow it down to about 4 km/h and sometimes even as slow as 3.5 km/h. I find that very difficult and often take off on him. I'll be walking and talking and suddenly realise he's about 10 or 20 metres behind me.

But when I try to walk under 4 km/h, it's actually awkward and a little painful. The slow speed throws my gait right off and I start doing weird things with my hips which starts to get a bit painful.

Short video segment: "When You're Stuck Behind Slow Walkers"
    https://fb.watch/al7j5oVaGd/
    https://fb.watch/al6IbDPS9h/

Smiles aside, there is some evidence that walking fast can be beneficial for more than just burning more calories.

Walking pace and the risk of stroke: A meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095254619301188

"With every 1 km/h increment in walking pace, the stroke risk was decreased by 13%."

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went in for a mammogram. The technician was very good at her work and I was not too uncomfortable or embarrassed. I was able to see the images, and that helped.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Heather: That’s tragic. As you say be kind to each other, and don’t put things off.
    Live today! Fully in the present!
    Carpe diem!

Ginny: So sorry about your niece. (((Hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 To the family at this sad time.

We were out early this morning to do our weekly shopping. The weather has turned bitterly cold, so happy to be home and warm for the rest of the day.

Love
    ☘️ Terri
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in Richmond VA — Thinking of you.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Annie, Would he wear a blaze orange hat or beanie? That might help ease your mind a bit. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Special Michigan welcome to Anna from Ann Arbor! From KJ (Kelly) in Grand Haven <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Heather- Oh, my heart hurts for your friend and her sister! I am glad your friend has your support and daily encouragements! Sometimes life gives us so much to bear. <3
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I’m new to this community thing on MFP, so I am thrilled that I have located you guys. I am 56, retired teacher. I live in Young Harris, GA and am spending three months in New Smyrna Beach, FL. I am new to the “one word” idea and am still trying to decide what my word for the year should be. I’ve considered light, balance, or renewed…to name a few.

Karleen
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

Karleen,

I’m six or seven pages behind in reading, but I wanted to acknowledge you and say welcome! I live in Jefferson, GA.